• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Why the **** should usps be on the hook for that? EBay sucks...

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because of course all buyers and sellers are honest and it HAS to be USPS's fault in between sender and receiver.

masaccio

Reaction score

Quoting myself but this convo is better suited here.

Is this an illustration of a reason (s**ty, or otherwise) to just accept returns as a matter of course? Either silently, i.e., without stating explicitly that you accept returns, or with an explicit return policy and appropriate restocking fee.

In the situation @easye described above, the buyer was pissed because he didn't get the result he wanted. So he leveraged (cheated) the eBay system to get it. In the meanwhile, he ruined @easye's chances of making a sale.

It's not really a question of who's right or wrong, because it's obviously the buyer is in the wrong. But the system isn't set up that way. For the sake of one's blood pressure alone, sometimes it's more important to get what you want than to be in the right.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
^ The "Item returned damaged" option is still there in my returns section. Haven't had to use it in about a year though.
The option is still there but if you "win" the case you might get your feedback removed if the buyer left you neg feedback, BUT ebay use to actually refund you the money. They no longer refund you the money if you win the "item returned damaged" case. I was told that due to it being a "nice service" they offered in kind to sellers that it was not updated in the TOS agreement but they quietly stopped sending refunds for that type of case. just an FYI.

Its not that USPS should be on the hook its that ebay says they are no long going to cover you even if the item is returned damaged and they find the buyer at fault. Their suggestion (to protect yourself) is to purchase insurance in case the item "is damaged in transit"

Last edited:

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Its not that USPS should be on the hook its that ebay says they are no long going to cover you even if the item is returned damaged and they find the buyer at fault. Their suggestion (to protect yourself) is to purchase insurance in case the item "is damaged in transit"
Oh, so they are suggesting we should commit mail fraud. Ok. I get it.

Brianpore

Reaction score
Quote:
No., I think what they are suggesting is that if you want to protect your item you should insure it. If the buyer claims the item was damaged when it arrived who is it for you to say it was not. You have the assumption that the buyer is lying but maybe he is not. No mail fraud involved and if anyone is to blame it is the buyer. Just passing along info. Dont shoot the messenger lol

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No., I think what they are suggesting is that if you want to protect your item you should insure it. If the buyer claims the item was damaged when it arrived who is it for you to say it was not. You have the assumption that the buyer is lying but maybe he is not. No mail fraud involved and if anyone is to blame it is the buyer. Just passing along info. Dont shoot the messenger lol
No worries, my gun is not loaded. I missed the part where the item was damaged when it arrived. I thought it was undisclosed damage the buyer was lying about.

Brianpore

Reaction score
Quote: IF you ship an item in good condition, AND then it arrives damaged (who really knows if the buyer is lying or or not), THEN it had to have been damaged in transit which you insure yourself for. At least that is ebays thought process which I understand.

I just dont want to see someone here get screwed, hence passing along the info I was told by ebay.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So to purchase insurance to cover damaged goods during transit one must add on extra insurance if shipping priority mail? Priority up to 100$ comes with insurance correct? Now, does that included insurance only cover lost goods during transit, or can it be used to file a claim for damaged during transit?

I just need to know if we need to take an extra step during this process or just continue to ADD ship coverage insurance when the purchase is over 100$ ?

Brianpore

Reaction score
So to purchase insurance to cover damaged goods during transit one must add on extra insurance if shipping priority mail? Priority up to 100$ comes with insurance correct? Now, does that included insurance only cover lost goods during transit, or can it be used to file a claim for damaged during transit?

I just need to know if we need to take an extra step during this process or just continue to ADD ship coverage insurance when the purchase is over 100$ ?
Good question, need to ask post office, dont know if the insurance they provide covers damage or not (I would think it does, but who knows). I'm not changing the way I do business due to this (never had an item returned different, and try to limit returns as it is).

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good question, need to ask post office, dont know if the insurance they provide covers damage or not (I would think it does, but who knows). I'm not changing the way I do business due to this (never had an item returned different, and try to limit returns as it is).

Do you feel you lose out on publicity via eBay for not offering a return policy? I have not noticed, but forget if that is also part of a discount offered with eBay as well...

Brianpore

Reaction score
Quote: The amount I might loose out on is not worth the returns for me and not having a return policy has saved me at least 10 returns (mostly for stupid people they did not read the listing). You also do get a discount on the final value fee (10%-25%) I think, but that is saving me 1-2.5% on the auction so to offer returns for everyone, I save $1-$2.5 per $100 I sell. Not worth it IMO.

Wes might have better data then me... Spoo also has no returns so it can't hurt you THAT much lol

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've dealt with 3 returns thus far. All went smooth, and all sold for. Bit more than te original price. But at the end of the day, I would much rather not deal with them. Even for a few extra 10-15$. At this point, I don't do nearly as much business as others to warrant a no return policy and still have that affect me positively. But when really thinking about it, if I build this business with a return policy, I cannot forgo it down the road lol.

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been accepting returns but need to look into the regulations a little more closely, out of the last 4, only 1 has provided me with the tracking number...since that is a requirement, I'm not sure what happens if I claim I never received it. I also charge a 10% restocking fee, and usually end up coming ok on them.

The best one was a sport coat I sold for 12.99, guy paid 8.95 to ship it to him, and 7 something to return it, he paid more to try it on than the jacket sold for.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been accepting returns since early September and have only had one. As long as people aren't screwing me over by swapping items or such, I don't mind relisting stuff. It's good customer service... I'd much rather have happy customers than stick someone with something they don't want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads