1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

+1 to peepics. I do the same, and throw a quick "staining in pants liner" or something like that. Helps to cover ur ass.

2. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

It's a Christmas miracle. Nice sale to end my year.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  3. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

Are you gonna tell us how much it sold for?

4. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

So I made an error in the listing - buyer brought it to my attention and asked for a return/full refund, which I accepted after realizing my error, and also kicked in to cover their return shipping to me. I believe I've done everything I was supposed to but the case is still showing as open - what do I need to do to close it? Or should I just do nothing and let it close on its own (let sleeping dogs lie and all that)?

5. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

...for a best offer that I was happy to accept, which is slightly less than my monthly mortgage payment, and considerably more than I paid for it...

In my experience eBay is sort of wonky with this...you have to choose something like "take action" and then you get a menu of options, one being along the lines of "cancel sale - buyer is returning for a refund" or whatever it says. You continue from there, the buyer either confirms or not (doesn't matter in the end, since it's after the fact), and either way it gets resolved and you are credited with your eBay fees. If the buyer confirms, they are just confirming what already happened, and if they ignore it, it still gets resolved as a cancelled sale. It will eventually close on its own, but I believe you need to take action and mark that the buyer is returning for a refund in order to get your fees credited back. Sorry, this is very nebulous, but I get so few returns that I have not memorized the steps / verbiage.

1 person likes this.
  6. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I absolutely hate Ebay's return system. I can never recall the process to get the fees back -I'm sure that's part of the scheme...

7. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

If you use the managed returns system the fees are automatically credited to your monthly invoice.

If you are doing manual returns, you have to send the buyer a transaction cancellation request and hope they accept it.

8. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

I am trying to figure out if there is a "best" way to set up your books for the year.:

1. Track every item bought, every item sold on a per item level
    2. Track all purchases and sold items for the year in aggregate. This means you don't worry if you paid $10 for a sports jacket you sold for $500 vs one you bought for $20 and got $50. You paid $30 and got $550.

I've been inputing specific costs into garage sale, but I'm not sure its meaningful as the aggregate method seems sufficient for IRS reporting.

I know a couple of you guys are accountants....what say ye.

jb

9. joshmick

joshmick Well-Known Member

Just to confirm, these Ferragamos are size 11EE, correct?

[​IMG]

10. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

Looks like ee
    Also ee. Should be on sole too

11. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Merry Christmas everyone!

Merry Christmas to me too. Trying to reduce my tax bill as much as possible so I just bought myself a 27" Thunderbolt Display for my MacBook. Ouch, those are pricey, but I need to spread out a little on my screen. At work I use (2) 27" monitors side by side and I'm spoiled. This 15" screen makes me feel like I'm using a gameboy or something.

2 people like this.
  12. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

MacBook Pro mirroring through my Apple TV on a 70" inch tv does the trick for me Wes. Haha. But seriously those thunderbolts are freakin tits my friend. Congrats! And merry Christmas to all....now it's 5AM, and I need to put on my Santa suit and wake up my daughter...

13. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

my kid is currently tweaking like a crack addict on toys

its so cute

1 person likes this.
  14. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Well-Known Member

I used to get high on transformers toys, the rush was amazing.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I have a laundry list of toys to put together for my little one...I forgot about the assembly required when shopping for em....

1 person likes this.
  16. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

When you got your macbook, I mentioned that the display is the ultimate accessory for it..

Congrats.. I have the previous version but want to upgrade.

1 person likes this.
  17. joshmick

joshmick Well-Known Member

thanks!

I believe that these were re-soled with vibram gumlites, no size markings at all.

18. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Well-Known Member

I just listed my first item on ebay.

A few more coming up this weekend.

I didn't see an option for 10 day though, which was weird... How do you guys get to that? 7 Days was the longest one I saw. I have a few other things I want to list that I'd like to start on a thursday and put up for 10 days.

I wanted this particular item up as soon as possible given xmas. Lets see how it goes. I'm kinda nervous!

19. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

10 day should be an option if you have not been selling it might be because account restrictions
    You might need to be selling 90days

20. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

Accountant here, although you don't want me to touch your taxes...

This is my first year reporting this as income, and I've got it as detailed as store by store how much I spent, but not all the way down to the item level.