1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I just shipped five packages ranging from the other side of the country (VA) to literally 1.5 miles down the same street my local post office is on! Yeah, it wasn't worth saving the $1.50 to hand deliver it.

2. My Main Man

My Main Man Well-Known Member

A few weeks ago, I sold a couple coats to a guy who's house was 2 blocks from my work. I had to drive past his house to get to the post office to drop the packages off. Super weird.

1 person likes this.
  3. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

I should count how many A&B widths I have shipped to Japan in the past couple months, has to be pushing 80-90. If it wasn't for the kind people of that country, I would still have a pile of shoes.

4. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

You can change a sale to local pickup after the fact ( before payment). It might be worth it in that situation!

5. marc roberto

marc roberto Well-Known Member

^^ That message is complete awesomeness. For the ebay annals of idiots

6. earthdragon

earthdragon Well-Known Member

I have had the same guy Buy It now on +$5K of items (while I have 3 cases open for non-payment) and he just bought on two more. Extremely annoying ,given that these have all had multiple interest!

7. Reosymes

Reosymes Well-Known Member

When you enter the inseam information in your listing do you put down the exact number? I see that pants are usually sold in inseams that have even numbers (30, 32, etc.). If I have pants with, say, 31.5 inseam, do you put exactly that in the drop down column? I think that number is probably what ebay uses to classify and search, and if I have a 'weird' number my listing won't be seen by someone who is a true 32 or 30 or 31, but could make 31.5 work too (by letting out inseam, cuffing, etc.).

Of course, in the description I note down the exact measurement, along with all other measurements but I'm not sure what exactly to put in the 'Item Specifics' area.

8. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I round up for the title and specifics.

9. Reosymes

Reosymes Well-Known Member

Thanks!

10. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

That's awesome! I used to deal with a bunch of Japanese guys who were into obscure vinyl, and they were so polite that even after they came out and said they were utterly disgusted that I was ripping them off for making them pay $500 for a record, they would go on to say what great condition it was in and to please let them know what else I had.

I'll remember to ping you if I come across some Alden's in 6-8.5! [​IMG] (hmmm - there's that pair at my honey hole in 6.5 D, new without box, but they want $300 + tax and a 5 hour drive for me...maybe worth my while to pick up and include JP as a shipping destination.)

11. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Apologies if this has been asked-and-answered previously, but here goes.

Sold a BB shirt to a guy who now claims not as described due to frayed cuffs, which is utter BS--he asked for measurements then, before I could get back, made a bid. Any-hoo, there's not a lot of money at stake here--$14 (sale price plus shipping) to be precise. Given Eazy's nightmare, I'm inclined to refund the money, tell him to keep the shirt and add him to The Black List--I didn't take pictures of the cuffs, or collar for that matter (lesson learned). My biggest concern is getting negative feedback. As I understand this, he would have to pay to send the shirt back to me, but I'm betting it will have been ghurka-bagged and unsellable when/if I see it again. If he can't negative-feedback me, then I'd at least like to force him to pay to send the shirt back. If nothing else, I could use it to wax the car or wrap shoes for shipping.

I don't sell (or buy, for that matter) much on the 'Bay, so I'm really not sure what to do in this situation. Thanks.

12. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Just refund him. I've been beenon both sides of honest mistakes. This might be a scam, but your reputation is worth far more than $14.

13. pnutpug

pnutpug Well-Known Member

Actually, I forgot to include the purchase price, so it's actually $17, but the point is valid. I understand honest mistakes, but this is a case of someone pulling a fast one. No way the cuffs are frayed--I know better than to not check the cuffs and collar in the store and again before listing. You're right that my reputation is worth more than $17. Amazing, really, that some folks are willing to exchange a clear conscience for so little money.

Would I be at any risk if I offered to refund his purchase price ($7) and go our separate ways?

14. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Refund him. I think you can still report him.

15. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Or report him first.

16. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Yep, refund. Fume about it here. Speaking of which, mrandmrsltb isthisitt will be added to the black list.

17. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I got a pair of boots (old school hiking boots) that were listed as a 9.-10, which should be my size. They were no bigger than. 9 (I could just squeeze my foot inside). Opened a case and seller refunded with no further action necessary. Treating people with respect comes around again. Karma?

18. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

ask him to take a picture of damage, if there is actual minor damage that you missed, then you can refund him. if not, make him send it back.

19. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

Sold a Zegna jacket that was tagged (EU) 54R. I listed it as 44R and said in the description, "Tagged size is EU 54/US 44 Regular. In my opinion, it measures closer to 42 or 43 R, but please refer to the tagged size and measurements below."

Today I received this message:

My return policy is 14 days after buyer receives it. It was delivered on Oct 30, which means he sent the message on Day 16.

Should I just let him return it? I don't really want to, I have the 14 day return policy for a reason and I don't want to have to hold buyers' money in escrow forever on the off chance they'll return something eventually. I'm tempted to politely decline but offer to let him use my pictures and description if he wants to resell it himself.

On the other hand, he's being polite about it, and if Ebay is going to force me to take the return anyway, maybe I should just do it.

20. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Sounds reasonable to me. I would just take it back. The politeness and professionalism exhibited in his mostly non-accusatory message, causes me to believe you will have a return customer with this guy. Probably worth bending your policies a bit.

I always list the measured size in the title and item specifics. Then I show the tagged and measured size in the description.

If it measures as a 43 I usually list 42R and 43R in the title and 42R in the item specifics.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013