1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

thank you, i appreciate the advice.

that said, do you think the photos i've posted will suffice for the listing? additionally, any idea on how to price this thing? i'm not sure about the intricacies as far as buy-it-now, start the bidding super low, etc....

my ebay score is 127 right now so im not super new to the game but haven't used it in probably 3 years.

2. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. masaccio

masaccio Well-Known Member

I think the photos are pretty good. You're likely not going to get much better unless you have a setup like some of the guys here (lights, mannequin/dummy, etc.). I would put up a bunch more, though.

I know that for the relatively few items I've sold, I'm always wondering what else I could take a picture of, yet on the items I'm buying or interested in, I always can think of something else I'd have liked the seller to have photographed. At a minimum, I'd include close ups of all labels, as well as some close ups of details such as buttons, cuffs, collar, etc.

4. thefastlife

thefastlife Well-Known Member

thank you kindly. should i just base pricing off market rate as per other ebay listings?

5. Reosymes

Reosymes Well-Known Member

Pretty much, but do realize that you (with zero selling history on ebay) will not get the same price for your item that a more experienced seller will. Especially on pre-owned items. So, do a search on similar items that actually sold on ebay in the past x days/weeks and base your price off that.

6. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

if i had only 350 items in my storage, i would feel so caught up with myself.

1 person likes this.
  7. suited

suited Well-Known Member

I can't imagine…I have a hard enough time storing 100 or so items.

For the next 2 weeks or so I'm stockpiling because I'm switching my mannequin and adding a seamless paper backdrop. Once the setup is complete I'm going to cycle through my already listed suit/SC inventory and update the main photos so my listings look cohesive.

8. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Almost organized.
    [​IMG]
    Went through all my auctions this week, serializing everything. Found a few items that were no longer listed. The listings have just vanished. Not cool. Feel very organized though, glad I can just grab an item off the shelf and tape it up and slap a shipping label on it. Lower left - a small sampling of my not yet listed pile.

Feuco, amazing that you can list 15-25/day. That's awesome. Day job (aka my company) and family take too much of my time to get that much done, I'm lucky to add 25 a week.

Brian - your auction template and pics are amazing. I was lurking your auctions last week, really impressive! I also like that you have the ebay pics for the mobile guys and good sized pics in the auction. Absolutely the way to go IMO.

9. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member

I am shamed... [​IMG]

10. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I have an office and three closets (two separate rooms). I sold a few bulky things today. That's the stuff that feels the most productive to get rid of!

11. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

It does also help that some of my stuff is stored at a local bike shop. That's about 1/10th of my active listings with a lot more coming.

12. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Fueco I'm still amazed at how quickly you got up to speed. 25 listings a day is Spoo status!
    And the fact that your looking to increase to 50 a day is amazing.
    Where do you have enough inventory to keep up with putting 350 items a week?

13. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Good question... I just finished item #18 for today... Most is now going to auction. This has become a full time job very quickly. As I get more volume, my process will get more efficient.

Edit: once I catch up with my backlog, my aim is to have only items currently listed or scheduled in my storage area.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  14. saint

saint Well-Known Member

Searched, but didn't see this problem addressed, so hopefully it's not a redundant question. Has anyone had a buyer not pay, relisted the item and gotten a bid from the same person under a new account name (as in zero feedback)? If so, what did you do about it? Did ebay help (stupid question, I know)?

15. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

16. My Main Man

My Main Man Well-Known Member

If you know for sure it's the same person:

To cancel a bid:
    1. In My eBay, go to Canceling bids placed on your listing.
    2. Enter the item number, the user ID of the member whose bid you're canceling, and the reason you're canceling the bid.
    3. Click cancel bid.

17. marc roberto

marc roberto Well-Known Member

WHOAA! That's amazing man.

18. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Can you explain how you do this? Do you assign a number to each item upon purchasing?

Believe it or not, while I probably have one of the most extensive inventory "collections" in this group, I have no orderly inventory system in place. I basically memorize where I put everything.

19. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

Hi folks,

I spent some time on Sunday re-designing my store site. I had been waiting for GarageSale to release a new template that allowed more customization than some their other templates and would let me do the changes I wanted.

Would love any constructive feedback on the presentation.

1. developed a wall paper based on a base of a brown paper bag, with a repeating pattern of clothing outlines
    2. New Header/Logo
    3. New layout with T&Cs at the side (all ebay frames and headers turned off)

I'm also dinking around with the first image of the listing. It always bugs me that it gets letterboxed so I've starting cropping an image in a square to completely fill the ebay photo placeholder in the top part of the description. It also appears larger than a traditional landscape image if you're looking at it in a search list, but not as big an image in Portrait.

At any rate, here's a listing with a square image:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HANDSOME-HI...SA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item3a871c35c6

And here's one done the old way with an image straight from the camera

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CLASSIC-Bot...SA_MC_Blazers_Sport_Coats&hash=item3a871c35db

Again, feedback on look/feel/content or anything that helps me improve I will gratefully accept.

jb

20. Koala-T

Koala-T Well-Known Member