1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. marc roberto

marc roberto Well-Known Member

Question: I have a Turnbull & Asser dress shirt, new with the tags but it has two small stains on the cuff. I'm sure I can wash out the stains but I would lose the NWT quality if I did. Is it more profitable to keep the tags on and list it as new with defects or better wash it and list it as new without tags, or is it perhaps not new anymore?

2. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Try a shout wipe.

3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

I'd first try wetting only the cuffs, spraying spots with Shout or your favorite spot remover, blot and/or scrub lightly to remove spots, rinse only the cuffs, let dry, iron cuffs / any wrinkles you created and check the results. If that doesn't work, you didn't risk listing as new with defects that won't come out if a buyer tries laundering, and it still has the tags on it if your spot removing does work.

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

That's a thing? Apparently so - I'm gonna have to get some of those - never heard of them before now!

5. capnwes

Holy shit yeah! They are amazing. Dab lightly to remove spot and dry immediately with a hair dryer. I have about a 90% success rate with them.

[​IMG]

WARNING: May leave a watermark on lighter colored fabrics or delicate fabrics such a silk.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  6. marc roberto

^^Thanks guys, its cotton but its white. I'll try this, but I think it may need a real washing. If it doesn't work though, what would you think would go better, to wash and sell as new without tags (Do you think it can be considered new without tags if its washed) or new with defects.

7. capnwes

Since it is washed, I would sell it as NWD or Used, but say "never worn, washed once" in the little description preview spot. Honesty is the best choice.

8. marc roberto

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I always keep a few of these in my dopp kit when traveling. Works wonders, I usually will use it, wait for it to dry, and if there is a bit of a ring left, dab with a towel & water.
    Spray works great to, streams out a gel-like substance, work it in the stain, let it sit for awhile then either hand rinse, or throw in wash.

10. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Any idea if they work on pant lining pee stains?

11. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

12. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

OK, soooo have had 2 things now go "lost" via USPS Priority International with insurance. Insurance has given me the money back BUT they dont cover the shipping cost so your out $30-$50 on the freight. Anyone else have a better idea [​IMG] Never had this happen when I registered the damn things.

13. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Might not be lost I've had 2 where usps lost and didn't insure them. USPS said packages were lost and I could file claim but both eventually were delivered.

On a side note usps lost a priority package from Austria for over a month before it just popped up in jersey city this Friday. Hopefully I get the package soon and everything is still inside

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  14. taxgenius

taxgenius Well-Known Member

Seller screwed up. You shouldn't be out a penny.

15. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

The hell is wrong with eBays USPS Printing labels?

I printed out a label on my label sticky sheets, and it now puts a print TIME STAMP on the label side, and then a URL at the bottom.

Problem with the URL is it is going to get in the way of printing the next label out...because you are then going to use that side of the sheet.

Anyone else notice this?

16. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

What annoys me more is that I have a 2.4" wide sticky label printer and there doesn't seem to be a way to just print out the tracking barcode and the postage part. This would be so much easier than having to take the PDF file into Illustrator and printing from there!

17. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

I do, when I print I have to specifically check 1 page. This way it doesn't write that 1 line on the next sheet.

18. masaccio

masaccio Well-Known Member

As an overseas buyer, I disagree. The seller has only committed to shipping to the US address, so should be on the hook for the initial and return shipping for the item to the US address. Everything between the proxy and the buyer is, IMO, the responsibility of the buyer.

Even if the seller understood that the package would ultimately be shipped overseas, I don't see how he should be on the hook for the shipping from and to the proxy. To use a proxy is a choice the buyer has made, and the seller had no say in it.

3 people like this.
  19. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this.

20. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

I'm pretty sure it's even in the Ebay TOS that the seller is not responsible in any way for a package if the first ship-to address is a proxy address.

Yeah, it sucks that the seller sent the wrong package, but it's not their responsibility to pay for the extra shipping. If they want and feel like they should, that's another thing...