1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Can you send invoices with discount on prices? Used to do it all the time but tried now and it said you can't do discounts except for on shipping and taxes?

2. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

You can send a paypal invoice and then mark the ebay item as paid. As far as I know that's the only way around it now.

3. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

4. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

I only had UPS/FEDEX on my Lobb listing for international, guy from China said it was coming up as $350 UPS, FedEx wouldn't even ship. Is there any way to ship reasonably internationally and still be insured? I don't see $350 for a shoebox as reasonable, it's 1/4 of a plane ticket to China. There's a lot of billionaires in China, probably more than Russia. I've shipped several items to RU so far with no problems, can China be THAT much more sketchy? Has anyone shipped to China yet?

5. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

All the time. For shoes, its about $40 to China by Priority and $50 with express at most.

6. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

7. capnwes

Yeah, you can add all the fee you want, but if you want to discount, you can only discount up to the amount of the shipping. I do free shipping, so I can't do a discount at all. I usually just paypal invoice or send them a partial refund.

1 person likes this.
  8. txwoodworker

It was UPS that wanted $350, the auction didn't have GSP. I don't know what I was thinking, it looks like if I go Priority International, I can cover up to $1000 through eBay Shipcover even to China, and $5,000 through USPS. I thought the limits were much lower and/or many countries weren't covered through USPS/Shipcover.

9. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Yeah ended up doing partial refund, not sure why they limit it though

10. k4lnamja

k4lnamja Well-Known Member

I've an issue. I sold an item (BINOBO) and the guy BIN but still hasn't paid. He also has 0 reviews. Anyways, I believe he either 1. doesn't know how to use ebay or 2. is scared off because I forgot to uncheck the global thing off of that listing.

1. Does anyone know how to make that stupid global shipping program thing go away from ALL of my listings without editing each indiv one?

2. When I try to send an invoice to the buyer to pay there is a prompt that says "you can't send invoice for this order
    The item(s) will ship using the Global Shipping Program. As part of the program, buyer directly pays international shipping and import charges to the third-party shipping provider. The buyer will still be able to complete checkout even if you don't send an invoice.

If that's the case, wth am I supposed to do?

11. dreamspace

dreamspace Well-Known Member

When you guys list something as "recent", just how recent are we talking?

I swear, half of the SC and suits that are listed as "recent" look like they're from the 90s, sometimes even older.

12. txwoodworker

1. One at a time
    2. Had the same thing happen, had to cancel the whole transaction. Buyer never did re-buy the thing.
    Recent is in the eye of the beholder, it's as over used as NWOT. I have 4 Oxxford suits for sale, I listed the 2 as "recent" because they have Oxxford's current label, even though they aren't exactly today's style, they're not ancient. The other 2 I listed as NWOT (just kidding).[​IMG]

13. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

For suits and sport coats recent for me is 2-3 years or less as styles have not changed on classic items like Brooks Brothers etc until you start getting into the more fitted cuts. For couture recent is current year and season.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

I go by the most updated incarnation of the maker label.

15. ruben

ruben Well-Known Member

Is this a bad time of year to be listing stuff on ebay?

16. Reigningchamp

Reigningchamp Well-Known Member

Great help in this thread. Thanks to those who respond frequently. I really need to purchase a mannequin or pin body to maximize my suit and blazer sales. I'm sure the At
    Atlanta area has a store closing that I can take advantage of.

17. capnwes

It's been a hair slow still, but it's picking up....
    [​IMG]

18. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Dear God, I wish mine looked like that! It was slow last week, this week seems to be getting good. If I accept the offer I just received, the last 5 days would become my best week ever! The seven days before that was my worst week ever.

19. capnwes

Pro Tip:

For those of you running 10 day auctions ending on Sundays. Keep in mind, Football will be starting in the next couple of weeks. You may want to evaluate your ending times carefully so as not to compete with the games.

1 person likes this.
  20. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013