1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Hey Eddie, were you able to sort out the mess about the Tom Ford 3-piece you sold on the forum a while back?

2. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

Is everyone else constantly receiving unsolicited offers (listings w/o the OBO option) for their items? Usually something to the tune of: "Hey, would you take $ (fill in blank w/ a value that's never more than half of the list price) and ship for free." I just ignore them b/c I know going off on them won't really benefit me, but I've been getting a lot recently and it's driving me crazy[​IMG]. Sorry, just venting to those who can probably feel my pain.

3. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Ship cover only covers up to $1k and like spoo said FedEx is the way to go. Not too expensive neither

Congrats on the sale!

4. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Always have, always will. I do get the occasional workable offer too.

I do it too, but not so much of a low ball offer. It never hurts to ask, the worst a seller can do is say "No", or ignore you.

5. Aidan K

Aidan K Well-Known Member

I make the odd offer, usually on items that are in my size but are overpriced relative to their peers of other sizes. And I did just pickup two very nice ties that were misspelled in the listing with offers of about 50% of the listing price.

I think that some of the time people put up an ambitious buy it now price, but are realistically willing to accept 10% or more less. It never hurts to try.

6. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Not a bad price on a casual BB blazer, Large, cotton-poly blend, NWT - $33 w/ shipping vs. $128 retail tag (not my listing) - here.
    I would buy it for self-use, but finding NWT BB stuff at GW from time to time, I'm so jaded that $33 is too much for me to pay.

Also, requested a seller limit increase...and boy did I get one (that I will never hit unless I start dealing drugs on eBay):

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  7. MJMcRibb

MJMcRibb Well-Known Member

Quote: Probably previously discussed, but where do you find your seller limit? And I think you're selling yourself short. I'm sure you could find, post and sell 50 items a day at an average of $35 a pop and hit that limit[​IMG]

8. TheNeedMachine

I didn't even know I had a limit until I started getting a warning message every time I listed something, that I was approaching my limit. Don't know if it's easily locate-able on eBay itself; I had to call and find out what it was, and ask for the increase.

Find, post and sell 50 items a day?! Who do you think I am, Linda? [​IMG] Maybe I could if I quit my day job. Though, I can totally see hitting the $ limit if I keep posting for 30-days BINOBO at basically double the price I'd like to get - those add up real quick.

9. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

1. If the offer is way too low I usually ignore it or send them a "I can't sell it that low, thanks."

2..If they are close I may send a message like "I will accept $XXX." If they make a counteroffer I ignore it. If they accept then I go to bullet 3.

3. If the offer is acceptable I send them a message stating "I have changed the BIN to your offer. Please buy it today. Thanks." I make a note to change the price back tomorrow. There are too many ebay jerkoffs who want to negotiate a deal and then disappear.

Bottom line is that I don't spend a lot of time dealing with them because I learned that most of them are time wasters. I do not bother with a back and forth negotiation with an ebay lowballer.

10. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Linda is ridiculous...

11. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

My eBay --> All Selling in left hand side. In the center shows your selling limits. As you can see I am serious big time:

[​IMG]

12. ArborVitae

ArborVitae Well-Known Member

Hello all, I'm a longtime lurker and occasional poster. I've been selling clothing on eBay that I purchase at thrift outlets for a few months now and have been doing fairly well. However, I really only buy higher-end SF approved stuff that clears a ten or fifteen dollar profit. This coming school year I've felt optimistic enough to rely on eBay money as part of my budgeted rent money while I attend grad school. I was wondering if someone could recommend me (on here or through pm) some lower-end (by SF standards) brands that I could buy for $2-$3 and make at least $5 profit on so I can increase volume. I've cruised the completed listings a bit, but was hoping to hear from someone with experience. I appreciate it!

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

5$ profit is not something I personally strive for. After fees, that doesn't leave much in regards to paying for the labor involved.

14. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

Go to Nordstrom/Bloomingdales, note high end looking stuff, search for it

2 people like this.
  15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

If you dont see that column, I assume you dont have any limits?

16. TheNeedMachine

I don't see that column either - mine is a giant notice at the top of my Selling page (above Selling Reminders, Active Selling etc).

Still trying to figure out the Spoo eBay necktie knot that's not really a knot...need to practice that one myself since it looks pretty good and I HATE trying to roll ties into neat miniature farm-field bales.

17. ArborVitae

ArborVitae Well-Known Member

Thanks, I meant $5 after fees. If I sell 3 items a day at $5 profit for an hour or less of work, that's still a good turnover for someone in my position. $15 a day would pay my rent. Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll just keep learning by experience, just thought I'd ask to see if anyone had any quick tips. Happy selling!

18. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Over, around, and through. Thats it!

19. earthdragon

earthdragon Well-Known Member

I started getting the same message today.....Can't find any column

20. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

+1

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
    1 person likes this.