1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Yes. Ebay would (should) side with you in the event the buyer opens a case. However there is always the chance the buyer will bypass the case and just leave feedback.

On the other hand... how long ago was the item marked as delivered? Yesterday? I have seen stuff scanned incorrectly a day or two before the actual delivery. Could be the case that a postal worker hit the wrong button.

1 person likes this.
  2. Aidan K

Aidan K Well-Known Member

Ok, got a case opened. I sold a shirt showing plenty of wear ( a mistake on my part). I believe I described the condition and posted photos of the worn areas accurately:

"Shirt is showing wear on cuff, placket edge and sleeve (please refer to pictures)." Pictures show wear in all of these locations.

Message from buyer: "I got this shirt yesterday. Upon inspection, it's worn out along the front, around the cuffs and the collar" and is requesting full refund (incl shipping). Should I accept it? Its only $17 ($13 + $4). Or should I offer a refund of just the purchase price of the shirt? Or should I fight it, as the item is as described. I only have a newish account (25 feedbacks, all positive) if that affects anything.

As an aside, is a buyer allowed to leave feedback after opening a case?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  3. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Got a link to the listing?

4. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

As you said, a mistake on your part to have listed it to begin with, but live & learn. If it were me, having dealt with a handful of returns and knowing how trying to fight it can go back and forth, I'd just refund purchase + orig. shipping (refunding return shipping is up to you - if it's my mistake, I also refund the return shipping plus a bit extra for the hassle it caused them) and move on. Yes, it appears that it was as described. They can't return due to "not as described" because of the wear but they can certainly come up with any other reason it is not as described.
    They cannot leave feedback with a pending / open case. They cannot leave feedback if you accept the return and issue the refund (as far as I have been able to ascertain - I've returned items to sellers and couldn't leave feedback once it was settled).

5. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Broke down and bid on a lighting kit.... a bit of an impulse, but the Rifa 55 light alone is easy $200-250 on ebay if I need to resell it. Talking 35,000 lumens combined with the right bulbs!

Lowel Light Kit DV Creator 55

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  6. hbkshin

hbkshin Well-Known Member

Question. Did everyone make their own HTML backgrounds? I'm starting to attempt a more professional look and my HTML is really shabby (fiddled in grade school but lost interest). Do you use online tools or such? Any recommendations?

7. Brianpore

I used HTML to design it in Dreamweaver then just copy/paste the html into ebay.

8. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

Is the size on these RT shoes in UK or US sizing?

[​IMG]

Thank You in advance. [​IMG]

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Brian, that lighting kit looks awesome! A bit overwhelming with so many optional configurations, but once u start dabbling with it, I'm sure it will be a breeze.

Give us updates when u start using it.

10. noob in 89

noob in 89 Well-Known Member

Whoah, wait. How would eBay expect the buyer to prove something *wasn't* delivered? This sounds a lot like the religious arguments we have during the holidays to me.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  11. Brianpore

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

+1. One guy told me he rage quit Ebay because "they would rather lose [his] business than refund [him] for a $20 tie." This was after I got the tie back as returned to sender (8 weeks later) and tried to contact him via Ebay with no answer then finally just refunded him via PayPal. He was surprised and very thankful that I sent him his money back. I patiently explained that it wouldn't have been Ebay that took the hit but me, and that if every buyer got their money back when the item is listed delivered, there would be nothing to stop unscrupulous buyers claiming non-receipt, and there would be far too much risk selling on ebay to make it rational.

13. labravajazz

labravajazz Well-Known Member

I had a case where I sent a pair of CJ handgrade shoes from Australia at bargainprice to a buyer in Germany. It hadnt arrived after 2 weeks but this is par for the course, actually I even paid extra for registered post at my expense. I explained to buyer that it may take a little longer and please be patient. I had entered tracking number as well. Buyer responded by giving me bad feedback saying his item didnt arrive, destroying my perfect feedback. He didnt raise any dispute for item not received or request refund so I presume he actually did receive it. Tracking comes up with no result so I had to go to Australia Post - they say they have tracking showing the date it left Australia, th

14. labravajazz

Then nothing iGermany so I have to mount an enquiry which takes around 8 weeks! Ebay require me to prove it was delivered even though I have proof of postage with receipt and registered post document and tracking, they will not remove the feedback which implies that I did not send the item!
    Anyone ever handled this kind of situation? Especially galling when it was sold so cheap and I subsidised real cost of postage:(

15. labravajazz

Royal Tweed is US sized

16. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Not in my experience. UK sizing in all the ones I've seen.

17. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

I had this happen from here (Austria) to Germany on a cheap tie. They didn't open a case, just left my (only) negative feedback saying that I never sent it. I just responded to the feedback with "Delivered! Tracking #XXXX"

I had even contacted them before I replied to the feedback asking if it had arrived or whether they confused me with someone else. No response from them.

Now I'm just waiting for that feedback to drop off my list.

18. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

Shipping shoes to Germany USPS priority OK?

19. Brianpore

Just insure them and you should be set. If sold though ebay use the "ShipCover Insurance"

I have slowly been transitioning over to using Priority with Insurance vs. 1st Class Registered. Some counties you still can't insure so I have to use 1st class.

1 person likes this.