1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. marc roberto

marc roberto Well-Known Member

I don't know if this was already discussed, but I would like to know what is the best way to show a blazer or suit jacket in a picture on e-bay. Also if I should use a mannequin then what type and where to buy one. Thanks all!

2. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

There is a lot of useful information within this thread itself!

I would recommend reading from the beginning and seeing if any of the topics discussed answers your guys questions.

I can guarantee you will walk away knowing more from the time you began to the time your done reading.

4. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

I added him to my blacklist - he flipped a suit purchased from me last month. I may not be able to command his prices, but I'm the one that had to flip through a hundred stafford suits to find one thing worth flipping, and I'm not interested in passing stuff to him so he can make 2-3x the profit.

5. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

He can flip from me all he wants. I'd do it to him if I had the chance. As long as I get my starting bid I double my money. Don't sweat it. Business is business......especially in the slow summer months.

2 people like this.
  6. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

He's willing to pay you your asking price for the item, don't see what is wrong with that.

4 people like this.
  7. sn0wman

sn0wman Well-Known Member

He picked up a 3 piece cashmere blend Pal Zileri suit from me for $51 + shipping and immediately listed it at over $300. Good for him if he flipped it for that kind of profit. I made 5x profit on it, I guess he wanted to try too. Haven't had the heart to look and see if he did.

8. gyasih

gyasih Well-Known Member

+1

9. JabbaTheSlut

JabbaTheSlut Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice guis. I've probably read over 2000 pages in the thrift thread by now, so I've gotten a good idea of what sells and what doesn't. (Also a damn lot of trial and error.) I'm still always confused when people do a BIN on John W. Nordstrom ties for $30 yet no bids on my nicer BB stuff. Do you think a mannequin would be a good investment for shirts/suits?

10. sparrow

sparrow Well-Known Member

this!

If he can get the prices he asking and you get the $ you want its cool.
    I think with him is that he has a large inventory, feedback, and is willing to wait for someone to buy.

11. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Trial and error is a lot of it. You need to know your market. I sell both new and used thing and the buyers are very different for each category. Any time I invest in things for resale (new or used) there is a calculated risk. I'm better now than a year ago and I hope to be able to say the same next year.

12. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

+1 I have no problem with his business model. He has the inventory in the capital To essentially thrift online. In fact mimicking his business model wouldn't be a bad idea. If you look at his sales history I'm sure he grosses about 50 K a month.

13. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

14. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

The best exposure is from forums like this and askandy. (aka your target buyers) Also, every ebay transaction you do is a chance to get a potential repeat customer.

Be careful with the Thurs-Sun auctions as most of sellers are doing them now . For e-Thrifters its fantastic but for sellers not so much. But, I would do the free shipping.

On a side note there is a seller from Chicago who lists items (ties,shoes,suits) 70-80% of original retail price. The seller ends up selling over 20-30 items a month at those prices. Dont be afraid to ask more in BIN/BO if it does not sell then lower the price. You will be surprised how many buyers look for items in higer price ranges.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  15. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

Same for me - bought a Luciano Barbera SC from me and relisted it at 3x the price. I haven't bothered to check if it sold or not - don't want to know. But it's a lesson in patience - as others have said - if you have a nice item and decent pics, don't under-sell your item, and wait for the right buyer to come along.

16. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2013
  17. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

+1 - I just thrifted this tie last week. Really liked it but hey figured I'd toss it up with a higher then usual BIN price.... Ermenegildo Zegna Blue White Gold Stripe Repp Silk Tie - 3.50"

Already sold, paid and shipped. Didnt even make an offer.

Bummed to see it go, but I can thrift 20 other ties over the next month for the cost of that single one. I wouldnt have sold it for $30 less though.

18. tonylamer

tonylamer Well-Known Member

It's the difference between what eBay used to be--an auction 'site--vs. what it is now--an electronic mall. I sell using auction listings whenever I can, but I'm tired of certain things getting snatched up and flipped. I could mitigate that by charging for shipping (everything that I sell comes with free shipping), but I hate when people do that to me. I just can't bring myself to charge $35 to ship a dress shirt from Toronto to New York and then pocket $20 as a handling fee.

(Though I'll say that when I sell things on the B&S for "forum" prices, it really, really bothers me when I see them up on eBay.)

19. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Me too, Malwarebytes won't let me visit the shoe archive. Malewarebytes no likes my shoe knowledge.
    I'm the same way with BIN/auction. If you have the patience and the storage capacity. I typically don't ever put suits or pants on auction. Unless I know they're going to be hot, like Naked and Famous jeans or something like that. I had my best selling week the week I auctioned those. I'm assuming it was ancillary traffic.
    The only rule I am breaking is I'm still not picky enough. Half priced Wednesday has me buying things I really shouldn't. I just freaking LOVE thrift shopping, it's a serious addiction. I walk into the GW and it's like they have money hanging on the racks. Why would you not go every day when they have money hanging RIGHT THERE. Holy shit I need help.

everyone else beat this to death. (S)He's even bought from little old me.
    Bust Mannequin IMO, but there are guys out there taking good flat pics.

20. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

JAB - anyone sell it? I see it non-stop; out of 100 SC's and suits, Jos A Bank easily comprises 20% of what I see in some shops...to me, it's low-end dreck, but looking at eBay sold listings, the stuff can sell for 10x what I would pay. Thinking of setting up a 2nd seller ID to list JAB, bundled lots of PRL etc.