1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

I did use stock photos, but from the Barneys New York site, not Barbour's site...and I am 99.9% sure that Barneys takes all of their own photos - I have seen items on Barneys then gone to the manufacturer website and they have always had entirely different photos. Just talked to an eBay rep and he said Barbour didn't leave any notes/comments other than trademark infringement. The eBay rep did bring that up - the stock photos - but agreed with me that if anyone would complain it would be Barneys (who doesn't even carry them any longer)...but again that was he and I assuming Barneys has their own photos. Also wrote to Barbour - will see if I get a reply - if not, the eBay rep told me to email vero@ebay.com in a week and they would prompt Barbour to explain. Thank you for the reply - that was the only thing that came to mind for me as well when talking to the eBay rep.
    EDIT: I'm going to stop using stock photos entirely (which I only do for new items anyway) - I don't think buyers like them...

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  2. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I usually avoid buying from listings with stock photos. It makes me feel like they are hiding something.

3. TheNeedMachine

Precisely how I feel, but not until recently did I realize that other buyers may feel the same way.

4. GothamRed

GothamRed Well-Known Member

+1

5. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

6. Aidan K

Aidan K Well-Known Member

Thanks, that looks like it will do the trick, and Uhaul is down by the post office too.

Another noobish question: how long do you usually wait to open a buyer did not pay case? Does it change if you have another person willing to buy the item? What about if the non-payer has a "good" feedback for did not pay (out of 49 opportunities)?

7. jebarne

jebarne Well-Known Member

Since your photos are some of the clearest on ebay, you must have a very nice 3 point lighting system to complement the camera.

What's your lighting set up?

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I jealous of Wes's lighting setup. [​IMG]

9. TheNeedMachine

I have eBay automatically open a non-paid case after 4 days...after which the buyer has another 4 days to pony up. Sellers cannot leave negative feedback for non-paying, because payment was not received which for some reason eBay does not think merits being able to leave negative feedback for a buyer. All that happens is the buyer gets a negative strike that is not visible to sellers, hence the creation of the StyleForum eBay black-list.
    If you don't already have eBay opening non-paying cases for you, and you didn't state in your listing that you require payment in x number of days (which you should), then I would send a 2nd invoice 4 or 5 days after the 1st...then wait a few more days before opening the non-payment case.
    In the future, state in your listings when you expect payment, and also set up the automatic eBay unpaid item assistant:
    My Ebay -> Account -> Site Preferences -> Selling Preferences -> Unpaid Item Assistant

You can offer the item to a non-winning bidder as a 2nd chance, if you close it out with the first bidder either by going the non-paid route, or canceling the sale before it gets that far. You can cancel the sale before it goes into non-paid item status, but the original bidder has to agree to it or not respond at all in which case eBay will close it automatically after 4 days (I think).
    Click on "Customer Support" at the top of the screen, in the search box enter "cancel sale" and choose "I'm a seller and want to cancel a sale."

You may want to also set your selling preferences, to block people who have x unpaid strikes against them, negative feedback etc, but eBay is very lax here and you really can't block much that way...but it's still something.

10. jebarne

I have a suggestion on the receipts. When you get your receipt, use an app like Genius Scan and have the app mail it to you. Then you never have to worry about losing a receipt. Also Do any of you guys use mileage apps that use the phone GPS to track mileage?

With most people buying smart phones or tablets, the technology is there to simplify some of the record keeping.

11. capnwes

Hey Thanks!

This is my "thrifted" light booth. It's a CVS (color viewing station) used by a graphics company to check test plots and photos. It uses a special 2x4 troffer fixture with six 5000K "Daylight fluorescent lamps. The 2x4 troffer fixture costs about $1000 and the lamps are roughly $60 a piece. I have no idea what the stand would cost. The desk surface is large enough for a 36"x 48" print with room around the edges.

My buddy worked for the company who owned this and they were giving it away for FREE. Score!! I love it, although, at 4'x5' and 8' tall it does take up a considerable amount of space in my office.

For those of you looking for lighting solutions, try out the 5000K compact flourescent bulbs. They will likely give you a better result than the standard CFL.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Aidan K

Awesome, thanks so much for that detailed and useful reply. I guess I need to make up some terms and conditions text to paste into all of my listings. Rereading this thread front to back is also on the list of things to do, maybe if work is slow tomorrow...

13. capnwes

You are more than welcome to "steal" and modify mine if you like. Just follow the terms and conditions link in any of my listings.

14. jebarne

15. Aidan K

Thank you, that is very kind!

16. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

very kind of u sir![​IMG]

17. capnwes

Anyone may use them....just not Snoogz [​IMG]

18. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I just gotta say, the knowledge and helpfulness of many members within this thread is invaluable. You all know who u r. A handful have personally helped me, and I'm sure I speak for the masses when I say thanks again for the huge involvement and open arms from u all!

19. TheNeedMachine

Generally speaking, the vast majority of eBay buyers are honest folks who occasionally may be slow to pay or whatever, and the only reason most of us have terms & conditions is to preemptively address issues we've had with individual unsavory buyers.
    Mine are pretty basic - payment within 4 days via PayPal, check measurements to ensure fit / usability since returns are only accepted due to "not as described", I ship every other business day on average, and I state how the item will be shipped. Covers 99% of issues I may have had, and the other 1% will be unavoidable problems you will eventually have no matter what, if you sell enough.

20. Aidan K

[​IMG]