1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. ogredave

ogredave Member

I tried to give them the benefit of the doubt. But when the item is sold, you don't blindly ship the item without seeing what it is. You have to read the title at least to know which shirt to ship. How do you read NWT <shirt> and then proceed to ship a shirt that isn't new, doesn't have tags, and is worn out all over?

And getting money back doesn't mean I got my time back. Time is money.

2. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Seems common, the not reading part at least, haven't had too much issue with bid retraction. Assume no one reads your ad. Take very clear pictures and bold/caps/make large anything you really want them to know. Hell, I'm not convinced they even look at all the pictures half the time...

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  3. TheNeedMachine

TheNeedMachine Well-Known Member

I hadn't thought of being able to look up brands / labels that I normally always pass on because I'd never heard of them - that's a good tip as well!

When I sold vinyl records years ago, I did once ship the wrong records to 2 people (got them backwards) - they were both cool about it and I sent them each $10 to repack what they got and swap them in the mail between each other. Now, with clothing, I pull all my sold items and print the shipping labels as step #1 - as I print each one, I poke a hole in the blank end of the sheet of paper and slide it over the hangar that the item is hanging from...then bring everything into my other room where I do my folding & packing up. This way, I know the correct label is with the correct item. Because I do not sell everything each week, and the most I have ever closed on one day is maybe 30 sold items, it's the best I have come up with so far. I don't pre-pack/bag anything.

Occasionally...and it's people who do not read sizes / measurements, who buy something intending to try it on and return if it does not fit, using the "not as described" all-encompassing reason. Not so much with retractions or cancellations - they just buy to try.

Precisely - if someone has to re-pack an item, and go to the post office to return it to me because of my mistake, I send them an extra PayPal payment for their trouble, over and above refund of purchase and shipping both ways. Only happened twice, and it's an incentive to myself to triple-check everything for condition / size / measurements etc.

4. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  5. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I'm now set up so that I have a separate, intermediate rack, where I hang things as they get bids throughout the week. This eliminates the need to pull 30-50 items at one time.

From there I have my work station set up in a way that I can fold, bag, box, weigh and tag each package from my office chair with little wasted movement. I do one package at a time from start to finish, to not get them confused. I don't use the bulk label print option. That would be trouble for sure. It takes me less than 3 minutes a package.

All that's left after that is to carry them out to the front porch for their scheduled pickup.

6. suited

suited Well-Known Member

A buyer returned a pair of Burberry sandals without even messaging me first. Included was a hand written note that said she's "sorry but they didn't fit, and she has other pairs of Burberry sandals and these were over-sized." In the auction there was a picture of the sandals with a tape measure stretched across them, allowing the buyer to see EXACTLY how long they were. She also said that there were some scuff marks that weren't show in the pictures - the scuff marks were shown in 2 different photos taken with a $600 camera. I refunded her money and sent a message, politely calling her out on her bullshit :happy:

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I like the ideas you guys have shared about the shipping process you guys use.

I'd be interested in hearing how you guys itemize or categorize your items.
    Do you use a # system? And how do you keep track of them?
    I know some big sellers who deal with consignment (spoo) use a numbering system for each item.

8. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

I have anywhere from 200-300 items at a time and I find it easy enough to just use excel. Add items to the bottom of the list when I thrift them or come in on consignment. Put the purchased price or persons name next to the item depending on situation. When it's sold move it to the sold page. Put the org price (or name), sold price, shipping fee, ebay fee, paypal fee = Total

Can't think of a much easier way to do it honestly.

No numbering system. Just a short description. I think this would work up to a certain point, about 700-1000 items give or take then it might be a little hard to find the item on excel in a quick manner but with the search function its not bad as of right now. If that was the case, I would keep the same format but would have separate pages for the inventory all within one document: suits, sport coats, pants, shoes, ties/belts

9. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

I really like that idea Brian. I wish I was skilled enough in Excel to be able to create a page that allows me to input costs / fees, sale price, and calculate a total at the end like you described.

Anyone else use a system like Brian?

10. Aidan K

Aidan K Well-Known Member

I keep track of it in a very similar way to Brian, though on a very much smaller scale, using a google drive spreadsheet.

11. tben

tben Well-Known Member

Safest, easiest, and cheapest way to ship to Poland? First time for me. Thanks!

12. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

Not an ebay story, but hope for some feedback.
    I contact a shoe store in France for shipping to Canada,and they quoted me 150 euros; why could it possibly be so expensive?

13. Aidan K

Aidan K Well-Known Member

Customs duties and insurance, possibly.

14. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

Ugh. Had a bidder bid on three items, including pushing one up by over $60 with four days left on a pair of shoes. Check his feedback left for others and half of it is negative or neutral, with helpful comments like "the shirt seemed a bit tired" (on a NWT shirt):fu:

I know my first negative is inevitable but it's like I can see this one coming a mile away and like a train wreck there's nothing I can do to stop it but to pray for him to get outbid at the last second…

15. masernaut

masernaut Well-Known Member

Do you gents ever dry clean/wash your purchases from thrifts/consignments? I've got a Zegna jacket that smells a bit musky- but you have to get your nose in the jacket to smell it.

16. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

You'd be crazy not to, especially with the bedbug resurgence.

17. suited

suited Well-Known Member

I started with excel, but then switched to writing down the prices I pay for each item in a big binder organized by the type of item. I got rid of my PC and didn't want to buy excel for my mac. I'll probably breakdown and buy it eventually, but honestly I think writing down the price is faster - but that wouldn't be the case if you do really high volume, obviously. I use the Outright app that Ebay offers. It allows you to do everything, you just need to track your cost of goods sold on your own - it takes care of the rest.

18. masernaut

masernaut Well-Known Member

Sorry- I may not have made it clear. This is to sell, not for myself to wear.

19. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I think his advice still applies. Do you really want feedback claiming you sent bedbugs?

20. tben

tben Well-Known Member

I do mean to quote myself here. In addition to Poland, how about Australia. I am very new to international shipping and usually don't offer it. But I have two very interested buyers with excellent feedback.