1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. DanM

DanM Well-Known Member

Yeah, me t- oh wait never mind. Could really use the bump this week too... :(

2. AndroFan

AndroFan Well-Known Member

Auctiva.

Do the trial then get the $10/mo account. Unlimited (virtually...I delete photos once every 9 months or so and I do a lot of items) photo hosting, easy interface once you set up templates and get the hang of it.

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  3. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

I ship pre-owned shirts to Brazil , not used. :embar:

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  4. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

I just read your entire post in an Italian accent.[​IMG]

5. masernaut

masernaut Well-Known Member

Hello Gentlemen,

I purchased a pair of Hanover shell longwings on eBay a few weeks ago and when I got my hands on them, I noticed there was a crack in back side of one of the shoe, and the other shoe was dry up and looked as if it was going to crack at the front if worn and used. Both of these problems were not listed in the original listing and the pictures didn't show this problem either. Two applications of renovateur and much brushing hasn't helped with the dried out shell problem.

Here's the thing though, I don't live in the USA and had these shoes shipped to my cousin's in CA. I arrived in CA a few days ago and finally got my hands on the shoes which had been waiting for me for about two, maybe three weeks. My cousin confirmed that the shoes had arrived so I had already left the seller a positive rating. Now my question is, am I able to contact the seller for a potential return or am I screwed? I'm thinking, while I'm writing this, that my answer is the latter.

6. kloss

kloss Well-Known Member

Ask the seller first. If that fails: from what I've heard, if you open a PayPal dispute for SNAD within 45 days of payment, PayPal will let you ship the item back WITH a tracking number despite what the seller wants. When the tracking system shows the package as delivered, PP will force a refund to you. Go to PP website to open the dispute, not Ebay.

7. kloss

kloss Well-Known Member

I've been bidding on an .99p "no reserve" item and the seller is very obviously shill bidding. The price is still reasonable after shipping and I do want the item. But the shilling is really bugging me. Anybody have suggestions?

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  8. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

gixen?

2 people like this.
  9. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Def, contact the seller first. If you mention that you used Renovateur on the shoes, eBay will probably side with the seller. In most cases the item has to be unaltered in any way. I had a SNAD case about a month or so ago and mentioned that I was considering buying topy's for a pair of shoes with super thin soles, not disclosed in the listing. Ebay sided with the seller, saying they believe the shoes may have already been altered and were not able to be returned. In fact they had not been altered at all, but ebay stuck with their decision even after an appeal.

10. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

curious what the problem here is. you are getting the item you want at a price you want.

second, please instruct me as to how you know the seller is shill bidding? seems almost impossible to tell on an online auction. do you tend to be a paranoid person in general? walls closing in? zombie apocalypse?

1 person likes this.
  11. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

How would u describe this?
    Club collar with throat latch?
    [​IMG]

12. alexSF

alexSF Well-Known Member

13. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

thanks!

14. kloss

kloss Well-Known Member

I already set up a snipe. But he is shill bidding against his own bids.

15. kloss

kloss Well-Known Member

On day one, the seller had a 3 feedback account bidding on 8 different coats from that same seller. The problem is, the coat that I bid on had measurements that were nowhere near that of his other items. I checked the measurements on all of his items. I checked a few days later and that account went from 8 bids to 60 bids...simply to hide the fact that the shill had a 100% bid history with one seller.
    There was also another bidder who bid on 256 items in the last 30 days with 24 retractions. Again, high number of bids to hide the bid % history. There is also a third, similar bidder. I checked his other auctions and a few of them (just the ones that look like they won't sell well due to sizing or style) had obvious shills as well.

Why do you want to know? Planning on improving your shills? :p

"curious what the problem here is."
    You definitely sound like the sort of guy who would shill. (yes, i'm slightly paranoid. but mostly just observant)

Last edited: May 31, 2013
  16. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Who cares if he is shill bidding. Bid what you want and then leave it, use gixan or just go find it from someone else. Not sure what complaining about it here is going to do. If are you really really annoyed, complain to ebay.

1 person likes this.
  17. concealed

nope you sound paranoid. do you really think no one else is interested in the same goods? newbie ebay buyers tend to act in a similar way. also eBay is pretty good at protecting against shill bidders. IP address checks n so forth.

18. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

2 people like this.
  19. kloss

kloss Well-Known Member

what about the bidder that bid on 8 coats from the same seller is vastly different sizes? and a few days later he went from one hundred percent activitywith one seller to about two percent? do newbies typically do that? you are willfully blind . or trolling.and ip checks are incredibly easy to get around

20. concealed

how can you tell it was the same bidder?