1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. gambit50

gambit50 Well-Known Member

Quick questions(probably been answered or discussed but could not find it so explicitly),

1. At what price point do you insure an item assuming US to US shipping?
    2. Same question for sig confirmation.

Thanks to whomever it is due.

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  2. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

1. At whatever price you would feel great anguish to lose the parcel.
    2. $250

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  3. suited

suited Well-Known Member

What do you guys do when you have a vacation and you have a lot of BIN items? It would be a lot of work to edit every auction to include something about a shipping delay.

4. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

If you have a store, you can set a vacation notice.

1 person likes this.
  5. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  6. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Yes, this a new policy. I have actually tested it. eBay found in favor of the guy who sold me the ultra worn thin soles Aldens the other week. Even when I left feedback positive feedback I got a message a few minutes later that it had been removed since the case was closed in his favor.

7. Brianpore

8. green_machine

green_machine Well-Known Member

It really is a great change (I'm biased but it really is fair). If you did win a case you pretty much were guaranteed negative feedback. Seemed like a way to bully people into accepting returns. That's why I started accepting returns.

9. suited

suited Well-Known Member

Thanks, guys. The issue for me is that I will not have internet access. I'll be in the middle of nowhere in Ontario. I *might* have a signal on my phone, but printing anything would be impossible. Maybe it's time I open a store, although with my volume I'm not sure it would save me any $ at this point. I guess if I can come close to breaking even on store cost vs fees, it would be worth it.

Last edited: May 21, 2013
  10. MZhammer

MZhammer Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Pretty basic question but I am just getting into selling and I have an auction that looks like it might have a winner who just registered and has 0 feedback. Obviously that isn't a total redflag but is there a good way to ensure I do everything ahead of time to cover myself in case there is a problem down the line?

Do you record packing the item at all to show you did actually ship it in a given condition etc?

11. Brianpore

No, if the buyer is going to lie and complain, are you screwed either way. Having sold well over 1000 items I have had very very very few issue if you just take good pictures, make an honest description, note any flaws, package nice (not scrunched up in a ball and stuffed in a bag) and ship on time with tracking (or sig over $250). I would say 99.9% of the people are honest on ebay. You only hear about the 0.1% that abuse the system.

Last edited: May 20, 2013
    2 people like this.
  12. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Here's something I thought you would all find funny. Had a buyer send be a very sincere email, saying sorry the shirt was too small didn't realize it, please cancel my order. All sounded fine, thought it was odd that someone with almost 2000 feedback would make a rookie mistake. So I looked at his feedback, checked the items he recently bought, and he's bought not one, not 2, but 5 other shirts the same size in the past couple weeks. So he was completely full of shit and just either out of money or decided he didn't want it. I will cancel his order, because... why not, right? It's a great shirt, it'll sell. Plus, as everyone says here, the buyer really does have the upper hand, and I don't want negative things on my feedback. I did send him a response to his cancel request with links to the 5 other shirts he just bought.

My response:
    You do realize I can see in your feedback that you've bought 5 shirts around this size in the past couple weeks?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/290912865320
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/330918607729

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360646205829
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/181129895681
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/200918119409

Is there a way for him to formally request that I cancel the transaction, and not just a message?

I can see myself getting really jaded, really quick with these idiots.

13. Brianpore

Um... yea if you don't want neg comments, I wouldn't antagonize people. Just suck it up and move on as you said its a nice shirt that will sell.....or you'll be getting neg comments if you keep doing stuff like that. Just my honest opinion.

Take a deep breath, take a step back and think "what's my benefit if I do this".... showing him you know he's lying is to no ones benefit as your going to cancel the transaction anyway.

14. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Ok, so his response. What an asshat.

so ur not letting me out?
    cant let one slide? i asked for a favor and appoloized for it. i just have had bad luck with preowned shirts and size is important. the sleeve length has either been to short or the length of shirt to long. let me know id appreciate a break

idiots the lot of them.

15. tben

tben Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

16. green_machine

green_machine Well-Known Member

If you want to be a serious seller you have to (99% of the time) accept returns for all reasons. There is no option. If you complain to the buyer you are only making more issues for yourself. If it really bothers you, charge an extra $.50 of shipping on every item to cover the lost shipping on the 1 out of 20 items that would be returned.

This way you still get good feedback in the end and will have repeat customers. I have done this and get the best, most personal feedback.

It's annoying dealing with dumb misinformed people who can't read but at least on ebay you don't have to physically talk to these idiots. Treat them nice in a message (while you "mother F-" them to yourself) and it will all work out.

17. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

I'm a pretty low volume seller (200 transactions or so in the past year) and I've only had one return in spite of accepting returns on most items, and it was a situation where I had only included a tagged size and not measurements so my bad.

In other news, I just had a successful transaction for the most expensive item I've ever sold - a high end guitar I just couldn't justify keeping around any longer as I rarely play and am not so great when I do. I breathed quite the sigh of relief on getting the positive feedback. Not everyone out there is a scumbag - most are just like us looking for a good deal on cool stuff.

1 person likes this.
  18. capnwes

Looking to offload a few from my personal collection. How did you ship it?

19. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

UPS ground. It ended up being very expensive - about $150, but I don't trust my local post office (or USPS in general when it comes to shipping), and I wanted to make sure I took every precaution 1.) for full replacement value ($4,000) and 2.) to demonstrate that I took every precaution possible in order to hopefully ensure positive feedback in the case of any issue.

They recommended sending it 2nd day air, but it would have doubled the cost and I couldn't afford it (and I had specified ground in the listing so the buyer should have been aware of that aspect of things).

I paid a UPS store locally here that I've had good experience with to pack it, as that would guarantee payout for the full replacement value in case of any damages vs. just a percentage of value if I had packed it - that service was about $35 I think, the rest was insurance and shipping. Again, expensive, but I built that into my shipping and asking price.

I would say though that if you can, avoid going through eBay and try to either find someone local or through guitar forums - the eBay/Paypal fees bite really adds up.

Overall I still came out with about a $200 profit on what I paid for the guitar three years ago, and I enjoyed playing it while I had it so it's definitely a win. Most of my stress came from the fact that I rarely sell anything for more than maybe $200 if I'm lucky, so sending something out the door for much more led to quite a nervewracking week!

Last edited: May 22, 2013
    2 people like this.
  20. capnwes

Ok, thanks. I have thought about listing a few of them in the past, but was too worried about them getting damaged in shipping. An experienced guitar buyer should know to expect higher shipping costs, and in my book, should prefer them to ensure it arrives in one piece. I still don't know if I'm ready to let any of them go just yet, but the 18 of them don't exactly fit nicely in our home. Not to mention, I haven't really played in a few years. Ideally, I'd like to get the collection down to 2 or 3.