1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Well-Known Member

Informal poll: how many of you try not to let clerks at the thrift stores know that you're a flipper, and why?
    I'm thinking about it because I just bought a pair of size 18.5 sneakers, which is about twice my size, and the checker asked, "so these fit you?!" I just said they're for a friend, which is my stock answer to questions like that, because I don't know if they're annoyed by flippers, or if they're going to get hip to the brands I sell, and start pricing them higher.
    OTOH, having a friend in each shop who knows what I do could be useful, or at least pleasant, so I wonder if I should just be honest about it.
    What do you all do?

2. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

I tell anyone with an ear that Im reselling. Honesty is always the best policy and its afforded me many, many discounts that I really dont think I would have received otherwise.

Tyrone MacStiophain likes this.
  3. double00

double00 Well-Known Member

^^^

imo the beating heart of thrifting is getting a bleeding, shrieking deal on somebody else's terms... regardless of whether i ultimately resell, wear, etc etc.

along with that i really only buy what is interesting to me so if somebody asks if i resell my typical (and completely honest) answer is 'well i just think it's really fuggin cool'. and really i only ever figure out what to do with things after i own them. ymmv.

SpooPoker likes this.