1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Well-Known Member

Shit...I think I just sent this with no tracking....Canada Post Small Packet Air.

2. dad2bandm

dad2bandm Well-Known Member

If it was that method, that's true...Canada Post Small Packet Air has no tracking.

I've taken a chance on lower value items and shipped via that, many times, with no problem, though admittedly, not to Russia or Asia. I guess I've been lucky with mostly honest buyers in those cases. In some cases, I think they appreciated I opted to use the lower cost shipping to actually give them a chance at the item, as in most cases, tracking, is totally cost-prohibitive (through Canada Post anyways), to other countries. It's ridiculous. $40 to $50 shipping, for a friggin tiny item less than 500g.

But yeah, Small Packet Air leaves you without tracking, and defenseless in a "didn't receive item" claim.

3. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I've sent Small Packet Air with no tracking as well for international packages. Thankfully no issues thus far.

If the buyer has good feedback that gives you less reason to worry.

4. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Well-Known Member

Thanks - it was definitely Small Packet Air. As it was, it was costing me Cdn$57 in postage (it was a heavy Buzz Rickson's flight jacket, and I only charged Cdn$49), plus a $5.49 box from Canada Post. I am at the mercy of the buyer and Russian Post now.

P.S. gotta find a cheaper source for shipping boxes - kijiji is no good. Uline?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  5. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

The CSR I spoke with says that they cannot remove the flag for that transaction. Apparently, it's only an issue if I list another prohibited item in the next 90 days.

If I did, I could face a 7 day selling ban (vacation?). But they would also have the option of reviewing the cases in question. Since I took this one down immediately, she said they would most likely not impose a selling ban. I'm guessing the exception would be something like trying to sell assault weapons or something not legal outside of CO...

6. dadjeans

dadjeans Well-Known Member

Uline's shipping costs in Canada are outrageous, at least to my address. I've had better luck buying in bulk from Staples.

7. futuremyth

futuremyth Well-Known Member

Yup. I just found a manufacturer in my city and their boxes/envelopes/tape are way cheaper than eBay's and Staples'. @M. Bardamu I'd just google "shipping supplies (your city)" or "packaging supplies (your city)" and see if there's somewhere you can pick up locally.

8. My Main Man

My Main Man Well-Known Member

This is one of those moments where I realize how much I take the free boxes from USPS for granted.

7 people like this.
  9. bert9000

bert9000 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Is this legit? Can't find any authenticity guide on google.

10. AIC99

AIC99 Well-Known Member

This really looks like paradise

1 person likes this.
  11. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Well-Known Member

Results are in from my first John Cena suit found a couple weeks ago. Pretty excited I have 2 or 3 more of these (can't remember).

[​IMG]

9 people like this.
  12. othertravel

What was the brand?

13. Mr G from SD

Mr G from SD Well-Known Member

Random custom maker. "Legendary American Tailors". It's a fused suit and looks pretty dated despite being from 2009, nothing great.

I'd guess anyone who buys one doesn't know much about suits, they just want something that belonged to him.

14. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

I can't claim to be an expert, but here's the label from a Dunhill shirt of mine (bloody autocorrect just made that "dunghill", BTW). Quite different, FWIW. [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  15. dadjeans

[​IMG]
    I don't always buy from SF members on eBay without letting them know it's me. When I do, I make a point to leave feedback.

7 people like this.
  16. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

I used to always pick up boxes and other shipping supplies from the Uline warehouse in Buford, GA. I would thrift in Atlanta, hit Uline, and then head home. Now, Uline is discouraging small-time business owners like myself from picking up directly from the warehouse. If your order does not add up to $300, they impose a $25 handling fee. It is actually cheaper to have items shipped overnight to Alabama than picking them up in person at the warehouse. #fuckedupbusinesspractices

1 person likes this.
  17. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Well-Known Member

Did you see the Tom Brady Zegna up on the Bay? I'll be curious to see if that moves. He's asking like 2000 USD

18. othertravel

Would be a good collectors item.

19. dadjeans

I think the price will get deflated a bit first [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  20. Orgetorix

Orgetorix Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for Brady's stolen Super Bowl jersey to pop up.