1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Man, I haven't gotten this message for ages...

I'm pondering just shipping it and dealing with it later. I've already reported him.

Haven't shipped yet. WWSD (What Would @SpooPoker do?)

[​IMG]

2. Sartoriamo

Sartoriamo Well-Known Member

[​IMG] . . . so I wouldn't know WWSD, but I hate this kind of thing because they are essentially asking you to create fraud exposure for yourself. Bad form. My general approach is to say that I cannot fill out the form untruthfully, although I am perfectly happy to use a generic term like "used jacket" rather than the eBay auto-populated "$4500 Hermes cashmere sport coat", for example. I have occasionally seen a typo in the price field, but I would be more likely to "make helpful adjustments" if they don't ask than if they do. Furthermore, I would remind the buyer that special requests should be made and confirmed in advance of purchase, and that was not done in this case. Classic presumptive close. P.S. looks like Nimoy pic was from prior scavenger hunt . . .

1 person likes this.
  3. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I ended up speaking with an Ebay CSR, just to cover myself.

I have cancelled the order, citing "buyer requested" as the reason.

Since the buyer requested falsified customs forms, they will remove any defect that result from this transaction.

I have no issue putting used jacket in the item field on the customs form, if it's a used jacket (this is not); but changing the value is something my listings specifically state that I cannot do. And asking me to remove the tags on an NWT item? That opens me up for a SNAD claim, since he'd be receiving the item in an altered state from the way it is listed.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. Sartoriamo

Wow, removing NWT tags? Missed that part, somehow. And asking you to renege on your stated policy with an illegal request? That's next-level douchebaggery, right there. Well handled.:nodding:

5. RFHansen

RFHansen Well-Known Member

It's one of the things that puzzle me the most in online selling, but I'm also a total rookie. Maybe it is supposed to be a bargaining position, but I find it mildly insulting. I struggle to see where you guys would meet price-wise. I was thinking that maybe they toss out huge amounts of ridiculous offers in the hope that statistically some sellers will accidentally accept. But with the two-click system, this seems unlikely on second thought.

I had a guy offer me $30, $35, then $36 for a pair of $70 OBO boots, shipping included. I laughed when I saw his final offer. $1 up? Sure, distant stranger, that'll change my mind! Now I can earn $0.63 on the deal if the conversion rate goes my way.

6. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

I have often thought that eBay should temporarily suspend the accounts of those who request (via eBay messaging) falsification of customs forms. You would think that conspiring to commit a federal offense would warrant some type of punishment.

2 people like this.
  7. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Yeah, the CSR was kind of cavalier about the whole thing as well. She said something to the effect of, "You could tell him that he should expect the same response from other seller..."

I have a one strike policy for this kind of BS, and don't really understand why Ebay gives people such leeway.

8. drlivingston

drlivingston Well-Known Member

Same for me... I have a zero tolerance policy for that type of nonsense. Insta-block.

9. Sartoriamo

Hey gang,

Interstate moving time, again. And de-rigging my eBay setup made me realize that almost the entire setup was thrifted, from estates, industrial auctions, the 'Bay, thrift stores and elsewhere. Here's a look for anyone interested. Spoilered and spoilered again for those who aren't.

Just getting ready to do my 32nd move in 29 years. It's also the twelfth time I've moved my eBay setup. Agh. Is that some kind of unenviable record? Started the process today, and figured I'd grab a few shots after I took my final (for the moment) clothing pix, for the folks who like to see setups. I moved the eBay area into one of the garage bays a few months ago after "her ladyship" got fed up of it occupying a room that visitors would come trooping through. Just the way that particular house was set up. Here it is (sorry it's messy, but hey, I'm in the midst of packing):

[​IMG]

Above is the basic setup: just a white background that rolls down from the ceiling, top horizontal and front vertical full-spectrum fluorescents (per the "cheap eBay setup" guide from years ago), and the mannequin. I replaced the original short stand with a shower rod, so it would be tall enough for overcoats. The awkward rolling rack with the vertical shop lights was so I could quickly de-rig if I needed to put a vehicle in the bay. Not my preferred rigging, for sure. There are LifeTime fold-up tables to the right and behind the camera, the first for the flat-surface images, lit (for the moment) by an LED set, and the second for staging. There are cubbies below one table for shoe trees, ties, bags, etc, while the hanger box is under the rear table. The tool caddy on the table holds all the prep items. In the back, you can see the metro racks that I keep the packages on, plus the (yay!) empty clothing and shoe racks. The HUGE advantage of moving? Backlog mandatorily caught up. Yeah, baby. Er, well not the listing part . . .

[​IMG]

The rolling cart contains a small scale (there are a couple of larger commercial ones elsewhere in the garage), and miscellaneous packaging, while on the bottom is a divider with the various USPS boxes.

[​IMG]

I have all the Metro racks on large-diameter casters, so they move easily, and I can keep them two-deep if necessary. When the time comes to move, in 2 weeks or so, I'll just wrap the racks, and wheel them into the trailer. Packages stay in numerical order. I did the same thing when I took a month to move from VT to AZ, and it was a piece of cake to extract a package when sold.

[​IMG]

Quick look from the other side. Sorry for the stuff lying around.

Here's the eBay area "inventory":

Metro 6' x 4' racks on casters (6)
    Metro 6' x 3' racks on casters (2)
    Metro rolling cart
    Lifetime folding tables (3)
    Commercial rolling clothes racks (3)
    11-row rolling shoe rack
    Full spectrum fluorescent lights (3)
    Husky LED lamp
    Mannequin
    Projector table (for shoes etc)
    Canon S90, Lumix for backup
    Multiple batteries
    Tool tote of prep items (suit brush, lint rollers, fabric shavers, clips, measuring tapes, knives, scissors, Tide sticks, paper towel, magic eraser, q-tips, cuticle nippers, Sharpies, sandpaper, suede brushes, and so on)
    Jiffy J-2 steamer (2)
    USPS packaging and other corrugate
    Laundry bags on a roll, hanging from the rafters
    Intermec label printer and supplies
    U-Line tape guns and supplies
    Shoe trees in all sizes, and boot trees
    Shoe valets with multiple colors
    Ties, bowties, pocket squares for staging
    Ziplocs of various sizes
    Bubble wrap, 3 sizes
    Shop Vac
    Dyson Cordless dustbuster
    Notepads & pens
    iPad & iPad mini
    Carton stapler and supplies
    Bose Mini Soundlink
    Clothes hangers
    Swopper stool
    Button box
    50, 150 and 300b scales

Damn, it's a LOT of stuff packed in there, especially for a very part-timer . . . but whaddayagonna do? It's what it takes . . . And I don't even have strobes yet!

7 people like this.
  10. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Well-Known Member

We didn't; I auto-rejected it. I adopted some advice given here a while back to determine my minimum offer and then set both auto-reject and auto-accept to that amount. I sold the tie in a few days for $45, well over my minimum. All good.

2 people like this.
  11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Wow, finally found a country that even PayPal USPS both Express AND Priority wont send to online - Monaco.

2 people like this.
  12. OolongT

OolongT Well-Known Member

No wonder - sketchy AF

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  13. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

This just might be the most insane cancellation request I've ever received.

This dude bought and paid for an item (listed and pictured as a size Small, with a quantity of 1). Yesterday morning, I tried to ship it, and got an error message on the ship-to address, so I sent a message requesting a revised address since one line was longer than 40 characters. Now mind you, this is for an item that was being sent First Class International to Australia! This was his response:

[​IMG]

I wonder what goes through peoples minds some times...

This, apparently!

[​IMG]

14. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Well-Known Member

Oof @Fueco

Quick call for advice: best offer on an item from a buyer in Russian Federation, 200 feedback, all positive, member for just over two years...:slayer: or :foo:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  15. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

16. M. Bardamu

M. Bardamu Well-Known Member

YOU :slayer:

17. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Well-Known Member

Is this feedback extortion?
    He said Jacket does Fit and I should have included "stomach" measurement
    [​IMG]

18. dad2bandm

dad2bandm Well-Known Member

Sorry, what is his complaint then? He says it "does fit", but...? Or was that a typo?
    Did he ask for "stomach" measurement, before bidding/buying?

Sounds like he's trying to threaten you with feedback extortion, but not sure what original context was.

19. kbadgley84

kbadgley84 Well-Known Member

Did not ask for stomach measurements. EBay said it's not extortion yet I just called. I did just ask him if he is saying he is going to leave negative feedback if I don't accept his return

Edit: yea typo he said it does not fit

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  20. richnet12

richnet12 Well-Known Member

Just realized that I just contributed to American EXPORTS to China!