1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

+1, I'd pass on this buyer. He might be telling the truth, but might still also be a scammer.

2. sagitar

sagitar Well-Known Member

Checked the buyer profile. He's based in Germany and has a feedback of over 3800. Doesn't look like a scammer.

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Wow thats a weird situation to be in. I am so quick to give the benefit of the doubt to buyers because Im so patient with things and I understand things come up. I to have been in a few situations that has caused me to delay payment on an item, and sellers have granted me the benefit of the doubt because I expressed being a stand up guy with good intentions. Though, I have not delayed a payment to the extent of which you are describing...Its really a personal judgement, you know him better than any of us can determine. But I would not be surprised or pass judgement on anyone here who says to forget about it and move on. Sometimes its better to be safe than sorry.

I recently had a situation with a buyer who first payed by echeck via paypal and I waited 4 days for cleared payment. Well it never cleared, and the guy had been messaging me the entire time informing me of whats going on, and not really knowing why the payment was processed like that. He had 100% Feedback all as a Buyer, and had about an 80 rating. So he casually buys here and there. I was not worried about any type of scamming or manipulative actions on his end. Well, Its been over a week, and come to find out, the cards he had on file had expired since his last use, and he had to update the info on paypals end and go through a few hoops to get it straightened out. But at the end of it all, it worked out perfectly fine just as it would have if he had not ran into expired credit card dates. I could have easily opened a case, or cancelled transaction with him, but because of his great communication with this issue, and being a stand up guy, as well as the history on eBay, I took his word for it. All is good...most times

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  4. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I'd go $85 and see what happens. Lol

5. capnwes

Short rant:

I am sick of getting listings ended for browser manipulation just because eBay doesn't know shit about clothes. If I want to sell a Burberry suit that was made by Hickey Freeman I should be able to say it. And try telling the service rep that the Gucci sport coat was really made by Zegna. They don't even know what either if them are. Wont refund my listing fees either. Ugghhhhrrtgghhugggh

End rant.

6. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Might be okay then.

I'm not a fan of international shipping, but if you're up for it, this one might be okay.

7. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Follow up to this...

Received my first negative feedback. Will eBay remove negative feedback for a buyer who tried to abuse the protection program, and then lost?

The feeback he left was:
    "Bad transaction, bad experience, advise not to buy from this seller."

I used the follow-up feature to mention that eBay sided with me, but he technically manually closed the case before he officially lost. What gives?

8. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

9. sagitar

Decided to give the benefit of doubt to the buyer. How do I remove the non-payer strike?

10. capnwes

Pretty sure you have to call eBay on their behalf. That's the only way I have found....I may be wrong.

11. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

This happened to me once with a pair of Lobb / Hermes shoes. I sent her a wikipedia link to her direct email while we were on the phone and they reversed it. Can you find that they make them for Burbs on a recognized site?

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

We have to start complaining about this. If we don't Ebay will never know. It's highly relevant information.

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

I am surprised that they are hassling you. A few months ago I sent a complaint about a seller who was advertising merchandise credit when they didn't have MC at all. They were selling a couple of women's sweaters along with receipts and explaining that you could take the sweaters and receipts into a retail store and exchange for merchandise credit. ebay did not remove the auction even though it was falsely categorized and was advertising the sale of something the seller did not have.

Nobody can find Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece items because so many ignorant sellers think the BB logo means that their item is GF.

OTOH I have had no problem listing Peal & Co shoes as made by Crockett & Jones, but I provide a lengthy explanation of how that is determined.

14. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

I co-list items all the time and never had an issue.

15. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

I get pissed when I see people selling stuff with loro piana fabric as actual loro piana brand. I've flagged these listings in the past but ebay won't do anything about it.

16. othertravel

othertravel Well-Known Member

I think the worst issue is "Zegna suits" when in fact it's only the cloth.

1 person likes this.
  17. sagitar

That's correct. I spoke to eBay and had the strike removed. The item has to be relisted as BIN and the customer has to buy it and pay for it. There's no other way.

18. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

It's been happening to me more and more also. I think Ebay is trolling for it more.

19. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

For those of you that do auctions vs BIN- unpaid items, what would you say your % is? I've had a rash of them, 4 out of about 12 sold this week. Fluke? Pisses me off, especially since my eBay money is my fun money, especially with that Pay Pal debit card!

20. bboysdontcryy

bboysdontcryy Well-Known Member

You can always cancel the auction sale and Ebay refunds you the listing fees.