1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. bert9000

bert9000 Well-Known Member

I am planning to ship a T-shirt (~7 oz) to Iceland. Is there anything cheaper from USPS than 38 CAD (28 USD), which is what it would cost from Canada Post? First Class Package International Service is $13.50 but I don't think it comes with delivery confirmation.

And, for future reference, does Priority Mail International Padded Flat Rate Envelope come with delivery confirmation? According to USPS's website International Flat Rate Envelope does not, but I am just wondering if International Padded Flat Rate Envelope and International Flat Rate Envelope are the same thing.

2. Tyrone MacStiophain

Tyrone MacStiophain Well-Known Member

Double check that 1st Class International info. Pretty sure when you buy it via eBay, there IS tracking.

1 person likes this.
  3. jamesmkeart

jamesmkeart Well-Known Member

Just saw that ebay is cutting the top rated seller fee discount from 20% to 10% but is giving every trs $30 credit towards promoted listings. Seems pretty bad.

4. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

http://pages.ebay.com/seller-center...oken2=su.pU2VsbGVyIFJlbGVhc2U=.bU1I=.g468.cem

"Why is eBay making these changes?

eBay Top Rated Sellers have told us they want more tools and options to grow their business. The changes we’re making reflect our ongoing investment in helping them do just that and to ensure the best marketplace health and competition."
    eBay Top rated sellers have told us they want more stringent requirements, and fewer rewards for being a better seller, and we listened. The changes we're making reflect a tightening of your margins and a lower ROI. Helping a cash rich, highly profitable public corporation with no real competition be that much more healthy.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    7 people like this.
  5. FLW

FLW Well-Known Member

Holy shit I cannot stand this hogwash. Nothing rubs me the wrong way like an eBay statement built around that "Hey, we're really helping you here! You go, you mogul, you!" eBay is hell bent on crowding out small time semi-professional sellers. Promoted listings are fucking useless.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  6. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Not a percentage best, but this sale represents my biggest profit on an item of clothing. :)

[​IMG]

BTW, the question I didn't answer was "I'll give you $400 shipped for this"... :foo:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    6 people like this.
  7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

that coat was incredible Fueco, you deserve it.

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

You all can add this assclown to your lists. One word BS to create an unwinnable return, which I accepted begrudgingly but then doesnt upload tracking so deuces for you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. Napaduck

Napaduck Well-Known Member

Sold a ~20 year old flight jacket. Buyer asked to cancel because "he thought it was new and could buy a new one for same price". I cancelled. Now he wants to repay for it. Keeps telling me to ship. I can't tell if he's incredibly dumb, or trying to scam me. Every other message is coherent. Guy has 800+ feedback, so scam trying to scam me seems unlikely.

Two questions.

1. I keep reading conflicting reports. Can buyer leave feedback after accepting cancel at buyers request? I'd rather just block this guy at this point.

2. If he can leave feedback, how would I get him to repay after already refunding? Do I have to relist?

Helpppp

10. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

1. The buyer cannot leave feedback. If he does/can, Ebay will remove it since he requested the cancellation.
    2. You'd have to relist.
    2b. I wouldn't sell to him...

11. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Somehow, even though they have nearly 18% of the world's population, I've never been asked to ship to India.

Has anyone here ever shipped to India and can share experiences?

12. Napaduck

Thanks. He only requested the cancellation through a message asking me to cancel. And then I initiated the actual cancellation at "buyers request." Would this be different than if he actually clicked the request button to cancel an item?

13. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

If he leaves negative feedback, all you have to do is call EBay and point them to his message.

14. Napaduck

Called eBay and they said he can still leave me feedback and I would have to relist it or risk it.

15. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

That's bullshit. If he requested to cancel the transaction, that's on him. Perhaps I missed, did he pay for the item AND THEN request the cancellation?

Either way, the feedback should not stand in any regard.

Edit: I guess we Anchor Store folks get better customer support from Ebay, which is also bullshit. The same rules should apply in this situation as would apply if I was in the situation you are describing.

16. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

No idea, but at this point, waiting another two days isn't the end of the world

17. Napaduck

Yeah he had already paid then asked to cancel. I'm a lowly premium. Around 1400 items with half GTC, half auction. Premium is still a bit cheaper than anchor for me... Seems like you have less items, but your sell through is a lot higher, so maybe it's worth it for you?

18. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

If you count the quantities in the listings, I have over 2000 items listed.

I forget what the cost is for premium, but at some point I did the math and made the switch. They raised the prices a year or so ago, which sucked... I'm up to 983 sales for the year so far.

19. Spruce Moose

Spruce Moose Well-Known Member

Hey guys,

Need some advice. So after going back and forth with Linda and eBay, her team suggested I just pay all up front and then they will refund me. Well it's been just under 3 weeks and still no refund after I've reached out to her 3 times(after I paid and at week intervals) with no answer even. I tried to call her CS line but it says the number is unassigned.

It's 95.75 USD so it's worth following up for me. Should I open PayPal case or eBay case? What would I categorise it as?

I'm hesitant to do this or ding with negative feedback as I know she is running a large company and can be quite busy but at the same time I don't want to run out of time on my end.

[​IMG]

20. jamesmkeart

jamesmkeart Well-Known Member

Linda offered me a partial refund on an item that I could never get. Sent a bunch of messages and nothing after the first offering me the refund. I just left negative feedback.