• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought there was a way to reply, couldn't find it. Thanks for the link.

Not too worried about if he leaves further feedback. I started out just trying to show him the differences in sizing between the two brands because he seemed honestly convinced I cheated him... then I became an ass. Oh well :lol:

Last edited:

sagitar

Reaction score
Couple of weeks back on the Thrift bragging thread someone had posted a Brioni jacket without the brand tag and with only the size tag. Yesterday, I picked this jacket at a local thrift store. I want to list this on eBay but since there is no brand tag, can I state its a Brioni? Is there any way to smartly list it so that I dont get into trouble once its sold?

Thanks

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Yes, you can list it as brioni. Just make sure to note in the auction that the tag is missing and you should be fine. Photograph anything you can that identifies the jacket as brioni.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought there was a way to reply, couldn't find it. Thanks for the link.

Not too worried about if he leaves further feedback. I started out just trying to show him the differences in sizing between the two brands because he seemed honestly convinced I cheated him... then I became an ass. Oh well :lol:

If there was ever a guy who deserved to be punched in the face...it's the douche who bought that shirt from you.

As you accurately pointed out, it's the entitlement that I find so irritating. Clearly the world revolves around him and his 3XL llbean shirts.

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

VLSI - Doesn't Ebay protect you (or punish someone else) if they steal your photos?

I didn't catch the auction in time, but you can report it. I reported it after I found it still, but I doubt they'll do anything. It's just a mark on his account if they do, and he needs multiple marks before it expires before anything even happens. Just a minor slap on that wrist that's meaningless.

Napaduck

Reaction score
Just got my first negative feedback WTF. Not sure what to do, as it's simply ridiculous?

Guy wrote.

"Pants and Jacket wrongly described, not close in size...at least 2 sizes off."

I listed measurements for the jacket and pants, and included a link to how I measure them. I know they were right.
I also offer free returns if there's a problem with my listing.... The guy never contacted me, just gave me a negative feedback?
Didn't even ask for a return?

If I message him and offer a return, can he change his feedback? How do I protect myself here?

Thanks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Francos-Seersucker-Suit-42L-/261163427576

InHocSignio

Reaction score
May I ask why its such a big deal for you established sellers to have 100% positive feedback? If that's really the case that eBay's rewards for sellers hinge on such stringent a fulcrum then they really ought to change it. Personally, as someone who has been mostly a small time buyer, and even smaller-time seller, I don't perceive myself making buying decisions based on very small percentage differences between sellers; 95%+ is usually good enough for me. What gives?

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really a selling question but went to pick up an EMS item and post office couldn't find it and told me it was sent back to international facility by accident. That doesn't show up on tracking online and am not sure if I should go to post office early tmrw morn to try again or wait to see if they try to redeliver? what's the standard procedure on EMS stuff? redeliver?

VLSI

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

Not really a selling question but went to pick up an EMS item and post office couldn't find it and told me it was sent back to international facility by accident. That doesn't show up on tracking online and am not sure if I should go to post office early tmrw morn to try again or wait to see if they try to redeliver? what's the standard procedure on EMS stuff? redeliver?

When I missed my TOJ, they left a note at my door giving me like 1-2 weeks to pick it up from the post office. After that time, they would send it back.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

When I missed my TOJ, they left a note at my door giving me like 1-2 weeks to pick it up from the post office. After that time, they would send it back.

Ok yeah that's what I figured, guy at post office was being real weird and I usually have to go pick up from post office anyways and they always have it by the evening. Just set up redelivery online let's see how that works

HansderHund

Distinguished Member
Staff member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

May I ask why its such a big deal for you established sellers to have 100% positive feedback? If that's really the case that eBay's rewards for sellers hinge on such stringent a fulcrum then they really ought to change it.  Personally, as someone who has been mostly a small time buyer, and even smaller-time seller, I don't perceive myself making buying decisions based on very small percentage differences between sellers; 95%+ is usually good enough for me.  What gives?

Well, from what I've learned here, a lot of these guys rely on feedback for their fees. Negative feedback results in higher fees or loss of status.

If you read above, someone left me my first negative feedback that said "paid and never received the item." Immediately, my open orders, though they had just been shipped (day after payment) started emailing me about their package. I can assume they read the feedback and panicked. It resulted in a number of email exchanges and one person requested I fill out a form for the Post in order to get detailed tracking to Germany. It was a pain to do and immediately after I filed it she said "got it, thanks!" That was a lot of work for someone that left a blatant lie on my profile.

Furthermore, I know that there are terrible sellers out there, but most people here want to provide good service. I want every customer to think "this was a good deal and friendly seller" after the transaction. I buy more expensive/better boxes for my customers. I take considerable time answering any detailed questions someone has. If shipping prices are cheaper than what they paid, I refund them the difference though they'd never know how much the actual shipping was. I ship quickly. All of this is a lot of work and for someone to leave something negative about their experience is insulting and hurts my appearance as a seller. Most often, negative comments aren't fully thought out before they're left and that's even worse.

You might not care if someone has 95% positive rating, but someone else might. That someone else may avoid my listing as a result.

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I sold a brooks brothers blazer that was in like new condition. After it sells, but before payment is made, I get a message that's barely coherent from someone that say something along the lines of "can you still sell this item." I told him I had already sold it. Well, it turns out that this person was actually the buyer and he was asking me to relist it, and I had no idea. A few weeks later he leaves me neutral feedback. I message him and ask why, because his feedback says "great and cheap price." He says this:

OOO SO SORRY
BUT JUST YOUR PRODUCT'S CONDITION IS NOT SATISFIED FOR ME
PLZ UNDERSTAND BUYER'S MIND.. THANK YOU AND HAVE A NICE DAY

WTF. I enter into a conversation with him about the blazer, asking what was wrong with it. His messages are barely readable, some not readable at all. He says that he can provide pics, but then fails to do so. I was polite the whole time, asking him if I could send him something for free to make up for it, or offer a refund. He doesn't want either, says he's in South Korea now and can't receive anything. I'm pretty sure he's just being a jerk because he didn't want the item after he bought it, but I've learned that there's nothing I can do, despite the fact that his feedback says the product was great.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

May I ask why its such a big deal for you established sellers to have 100% positive feedback? If that's really the case that eBay's rewards for sellers hinge on such stringent a fulcrum then they really ought to change it.  Personally, as someone who has been mostly a small time buyer, and even smaller-time seller, I don't perceive myself making buying decisions based on very small percentage differences between sellers; 95%+ is usually good enough for me.  What gives?

100% isn't big enough a deal to kiss ass for IMO, although I have only ever had 1 negative. I don't request feedback and I don't have the "I strive for all 5's and please contact me for resolution before giving anything other than a 5" language in my auctions. I look at feedback in the 98% or better range as normal, because there is an idiot factor on ebay and you can't please everybody. OTOH, 95% positive is a red flag. When you read feedback on the 95% and lower types you will usually see problems.

My only negative was from a guy in Hong Kong who bought a Thom Browne blouse which was clearly described as a women's blouse. It didn't fit (no ****) and he demanded a return. I politely advised him to resell it. He left negative.

There are way too many ebay buyers who bid without bothering to read descriptions. I only had one auction end on Sunday, a BB suit. About an hour after the end of the auction, buyer sends a message that he just now noticed that the pants inseam is 31 and he needs 34. So he actually read the description after he bought the suit. Of course in that situation I cancelled the transaction. The problem is that ebay has every one of their policies benefiting the buyer. So he can do this again and again with no consequence.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads