1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Guy is mad at me that unpaid item assistant opened a case. Fucking pay and it wont happen...

2. jrd617

jrd617 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the response.

Ugh, so irritating.

3. Hodaddy

Hodaddy Well-Known Member

4. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

That article pissed me off...the fact that they are going to take that to court to proceed with the lawsuit is beyond irritating.

5. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

They gave the seller's ebay id. Make a stand :hide:

6. txwoodworker

txwoodworker Well-Known Member

Gentlemen (I'm assuming!) I have another technical question for you. When you auction items and they don't sell, I know you can re-list once and get a credit on the listing fees, but the second time, you're out of luck. Also, each relist counts as a "listing" if you're working on your first 50 free listings. I saw earlier in the thread a debate about auction VS BIN and I'd like to know your strategies for paying the least amount in fees to get your stuff sold.

Thanks for your time!
    Tom

7. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

No matter how you slice it, your paypal and ebay fees will account for roughly 12% of your sale.

1 person likes this.
  8. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

The question is what gets you the highest sale price... For most items, that's BIN. For insanely popular stuff, auctions work well.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

You mean INSANE RARE stuff. Or UNICORNIOUS looking things? How about AMAZING ties? :lol:

10. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Part of it is just how good you are at listing the shiznit...

11. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Just did my first in-person handoff of an EBay sale... So much nicer than dealing via USPS.

12. capnwes

I already know the answer the Mac guys are going to throw back at me, so I will direct this to the rest of you.

When listing a new item, I typically use the sell similar item button and just edit the title, pics and details. Lately when I get into the editing area, the entire description is missing. There is just a blank box. I've tried finishing the listing and going back in through edit listing, but still the same. It happens while I am using Chrome, at home....works fine at work. I can work around it by using IE, but it gets really slow.

Has anyone else ever had a problem like this?

13. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    here's one from the buyer's perspective and I'd like to know what you sellers think. I bought a pair of previously owned shoes(eccos) from this guy. description disclosed "lines" on one sole, but said they were minor and they looked like it in the photo. Turned out when I got them, they were on both soles and when flexed they were significant cracks. Still, thought maybe I could get them patched. first time i wore them, the soles of both shoes began breaking off in huge chunks. I protested and he gave me a full refund after I returned them.
    My question: he obviously had to know the soles were really bad ... it was pretty obvious. do i a) leave negative feedback reflecting that; b) leave positive feedback because he gave a full refund on return; or c) just forget teh whole thing?

14. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I'd say it depends on his attitude. If he was massively apologetic, let it slide.

Oh, and Ecco?!?!?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  15. capnwes

Wonder how this will end up.....

Dear weso0119,

I have now paid you for this lovely coat after eBay finally resolved to end the open case in my favour and pay me missing funds.
    I ask however that you please help me in avoiding utterly outrageous customs charges this end and mark the parcel as a low cost gift. I'd be very grateful if you please support this request as I am tiring of paying double the cost of items in top of madly exuberant s&h.

My regards -
    arrabbiati33

Dear arrabbiati33,

Thanks for your great communication and payment. As for your request, I must decline. As stated in my terms and conditions, I will not mark purchased items as gifts on customs forms or alter the values, as it is both unethical and unlawful to do so.

Thanks for your business,
    Wesley

Dear weso0119,

That's a shame Wes as its gonna cost double to collect which I think we could've navigated. Ethics do not feature here as far as I'm concerned just good cheap service which includes the way in which the item is handled. Shame really.

- arrabbiati33

Dear arrabbiati33,

If it wasn't against the law and against ebay policy, I would have no problem doing it. Here is the link to the ebay policy.
    http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/encouraging-illegal-activity.html

Thanks again,
    Wes

16. capnwes

We were all thinking it....but you said it.

17. foodguy

foodguy Well-Known Member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement

yeah, i know. i just can't have pretty shoes. really REALLY bad feet. they're the best-looking supportive shoes i've found. other ideas?
    and i think i'll just let the feedback on this one slide. thanks for the help.

18. capnwes

I am with you on that. I can wear dress shoes for about 15-20 minutes before agony. Been stuck in New Balance for about 5 years. This clip always makes me laugh.

19. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

Just went to list a blazer and it isnt showing the 10 day duration option?

[​IMG]

EDIT: Seems that the 10 day option has been removed from the Quick Listing Tool, but it's still available int he Advanced Tool. Irritating. Might have to take the GarageSale plunge.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  20. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member