1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

Because the prices will go higher due to more exposure.

I have used the GSP at least 20 times now and I am fine with it. If someone doesn't want to purchase because they have to pay true customs charges, so be it.

I know others will disagree and I have made my peace with that.

2. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

My only negative feedback in the last 10 years is from this happening. They guy was a jerk to start with so I told him too bad and to take it up with the post office or police department. I spoke with the actual mail man who delivered the packaged in his town on the phone and he said that he remembered dropping it off. The buyer opened a case and obviously I won with ebay/paypal as the item showed delivered. Guy left negative feedback and I left a response with the date shipped, date delivered and tracking number. Nothing more I can do, but I wasnt about to refund the guy anything. Not a single buyer ever asked about it and I highly doubt it kept anyone from buying something I had listed.

3. Brianpore

Had posted these elsewhere but thought fitting for this thread. I've changed it up a little for ties and dont cut anything in half but same basic way.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

Got a weird one today, sold a sweater, fits right in with what the buyer is always purchasing...I get message today from him

I received an email stating that I need to pay for this item! I regret to inform you that I did not bid on this sweater or authorized anyone in my family to bid on this sweater on my behalf! I related this fraudulent matter to Ebay corporate affairs on my behalf and yours!
    Kindest Regards

What's my next move?

Thanks guys

5. Brianpore

He didnt pay, you still have sweater? Just accept and relist. Nothing you can do and no point to try. Welcome to ebay [​IMG]

As with most things in life, its not always lowering the price but finding the right buyer as this was listed 10/13/12.... had multiple offers for 1/2 the BIN price and would have accepted an offer in the 75-80% range, BUT today someone comes and uses BIN and already am paid Hermes Blue & Red Tie [​IMG]

6. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

How do I go about getting a FVF credit? Do i need to go thru the whole open a case issue?

Any point in offering a second chance offer? Sell price was 265, had a second bidder at 260.

7. Brianpore

Yea, if you are happy with 260 send the offer asap. Need to go though resolution center to get the fvf back if 2nd chance does not take it.

8. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

Thanks Brian, you're an asset to this thread.

9. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

I had an issue with ebay limits. Specifically, limiting the posts of certain branded items. I originally called ebay and explained that I'd been a member awhile and would love to get the limits raised. The customer service agent said that since I had a private account, it would be difficult. However, if I changed to a business account, I wouldn't have problems.

I read about it, changed and still had the same limits. I called ebay again and explained that I now have a business account and opened a store on ebay but that the limits are preventing me from listing. The guy said that it shouldn't be a problem and that he'd email me within a half an hour. I got the email....denied. They said it was because these brands were often counterfeited and that they wouldn't raise my limits.

I called AGAIN. The woman that answered clearly wanted me off the phone as quickly as possible. She said "Oh, someone else helped you? I wouldn't know the situation in that case." I said, "Well, I'll explain it to you." We basically went around in circles for five minutes before I gave up and decided to email the other customer service guy.

In the email, I explained that I'd changed my account and opened a store in order to raise my limits. I have a fine track record of selling these things, but within the last 2-3 months, that limit had mysteriously been hit sooner and sooner. Of course I couldn't get any brands or numbers from anyone on the phone, so I have no way of knowing what is considered part of my limit as I list.

I didn't hold out much hope, but I got an email the next morning from the security division saying that my limits were released. I'm thrilled with that and I think they must have done their homework. I'll give them credit and say that they [finally] must have looked into the situation and made the correct decision.

However, I've listed quite a few things and sometimes, literally within 1-2 minutes of posting, they ave 10-12 views. After that, nothing for 12 hours and then a constant stream of views. I assume that they're going through some sort of check on ebay's side, but I have no idea. It's not every listing, maybe every fifth or sixth. Has anyone else experienced this?

10. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

^ Yup, they go through a queue - sometimes the more highly faked or designer brands are held in moderation for a bit for review before going live. Glad you got your limits raised!

11. HansderHund

Thanks, I figured it must be something. I'm going to play around with it and see what they view before they "release" the auction. I know they can't/won't, but it would have been convenient to know what brands they restricted or limited.

Thanks on that...it took a few calls, but it looks like I'm finally able to list what I want! It was weird, I hit the caps sooner and sooner and within the last month, I couldn't list a lot. It's almost as though they restricted me the more I listed. :satisfied:

12. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

"Notice was left". Don't ever believe it. I've had to go to the post office a couple times now where I'm living because while the tracker said that notice was left, I never got a notice. The mail carrier was either lazy or a moron, and they decided that the porch wasn't secure enough, so they took the package with them, and didn't bother telling me.

I would get on the phone with the post office for their zip code and ask them to go back and look. Odds are it's there, but some dumbass forgot to put it into the system correctly- probably the same one who never left the notice.

13. Zacharrrr

Zacharrrr Well-Known Member

Awesome and very informative thread here - thanks !

14. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

I've called a few times, and the buyer has been in a few times too. They say it was probably returned to me....nope. The buyer has been absolutely patient through this whole thing. The worst part is, it was his first ever purchase on eBay. How do you like that.

15. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

IIRC (from when I went through this), they restricted the number of listings I had for Armani, Hugo Boss, Christian Dior, Yves St Laurent, and Emilio Pucci.

16. Dolfan954

Dolfan954 Well-Known Member

Hey Hans,

They definitely have the power to lift the limits. I had a similar issue quite a bit ago and they first raised my limits for 24 hours to allow me to list everything that I wanted. While I was doing that, the lady put me on hold, then told me she was able to lift all limits. She did tell me, though, that once the account gets reviewed in 90 days that it might re-limit the account. She said at the time, that it was no biggie and to just call back and they could re apply the "no limit."

I am way past that 90 days and my no limit status remains.

Best of luck in keeping your status!

17. HansderHund

I believe that. I had trouble with brands I was previously listing with few restrictions. If the restrictions were in place, I almost feel like they moved it when I started listing more. I hit on Burberry, Hermés, Chanel, Bally, PRL and a number of others.

Thanks for that helpful info! The second person I spoke with made it sound like it was going to be no problem, so I was surprised to get an email that said I was denied a raise in limits. The third person (when I called back right after the email) wasn't helpful at all. She just kept saying that there are restrictions in place. I would ask "Okay, which brands are limited?" and she'd say "I wouldn't know that, you'd have to ask the original customer service agent." I'd then ask "What can I do to raise these limits?" and she'd quote straight from the web site " Well, we limit certain brands for certain users in order to fight counterfeiting." It just went on and on.

I'm fine if they want to monitor my account, so hopefully I have a pretty good track record by the time they review it again.

I do understand why they have certain restrictions, but when someone calls to have their specific case examined, that should immediately lift the ban, in my opinion. They can see what I'm trying to list, they can see my location and they have my name, address and bank details. Once it's clear that I'm not selling 500 pairs of Ray-Bans at €20 each from China, it should be fairly obvious that I'm not trying to abuse the system.

/rant

Thanks to all for the helpful info, I'll let you all know if I get a new limit!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  18. HansderHund

Double post

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  19. IrateCustomer

IrateCustomer Well-Known Member

Okay guys, so I rarely sell on eBay, but recently I had an amazing find in a pair of NOS Florsheim Imperial PTBs. Brand freaking new. Here is a link to the listing:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171008006414?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649

Okay, so the buyer wants to return them for a full refund, due to a defect in the right shoe's toe. I will simply post the interactions to save time:

Dear xxx,

I just wanted to make sure you got the Florsheims. I see that they are flagged as delivered, but I just wanted to confirm you got them.

I hope you enjoy the shoes.

--------------------------------------------------------
    Response from the buyer
    Yes, they have arrived.

Unfortunately, you failed to mention that the right shoe had manufacturing defects ( indented lines on the toe and vamp for lack of a better description ).

If I'd purchased these shoes at any retail store and noticed the defect on the toe and vamp of the right shoe like these had, they'd be going right back for an exchange. Something tells me that it's as least likely as not that was the history of these shoes to begin with which is why they were never worn.

In any case, my offer was for a NOS pair in immaculate condition, NOT a NOS pair with a manufacturing defect. I don't understand why you chose not to disclose this defect with words as the pictures certainly did not give a clear indication that there was a problem, nor did your written description.

That being said, I would like to return these shoes for a full refund including shipping. I would settle for a 50% partial refund and to keep the shoes, but I'd just as soon just send them back and start over.

Let me know what you would like to do.

--------------------------------------------------------

Dear xxx,

Please send pictures of the defects to which you are referring.

-------------------------------------------------------
    Response from the buyer
    Well, I'm assuming that if your two dimensional photos did not clearly reflect the defect (indented lines), then neither would any two-dimensional photos I could take. I'm not a skilled photographer.

I find it highly unlikely, however, that you are not already aware of exactly what I am talking about as you, I'm assuming, looked at the shoes with your naked eye in three-dimension.

Let me know how you would like to proceed.

Okay, so I went back and looked at all of the pictures and there's nothing wrong with these shoes. My only guess is that there is some other reason they want to return them. Fit, buyer's remorse, getting grief from an SO, or whatever...it could be anything. I had no return policy on the listing, and my item was definitely as described. He also stated that he can't show the "defect" to me. My thought is to just say that my sales are final...in a nice way, but any and all input would be appreciated. At this point I don't think he really has a shot at a claim against me either due to what he's sent over in his messages. Here's a link to a close-up of the shoe in question, which was posted with the listing:

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/New-VTG-Flor...a8/$T2eC16R,!y8E9s2fjK+7BRQ8,8pllQ~~60_57.JPG

Thanks in advance guys.

20. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

If it was me, I'd open a case and let Ebay decide...you took pictures, he can't even take a picture to describe what he's talking about...worse case you lose and have to take them back.