1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

This is generally true. Think about real estate transactions. Each side feels like the other is in the power position. Those selling their house think that the first person making an offer is the only person who will be interested in their house, so feel compelled to accept the offer lest they not receive another, whereas buyers who like a house will think every other buyer will love the same house so feel compelled to move quickly and with strong offers.
    Clearly as a generality it does not always hold in specific cases, but is well worth remembering during the process.

1 person likes this.
  2. Acme

Acme Well-Known Member

Excellent advice. Once I learned to let the buyer name his price, I was surprised how often I'd get an offer that was closer to my listed price than I'd expected.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

"Seriously? It's .25 inches wider."

4. ChetB

ChetB Well-Known Member

^ Perhaps I'm giving the questioner to much credit, but he may have been asking about the length. Could be that he assumed the tie length would grow in proportion with the width.

5. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Well-Known Member

What are you guys doing about Easter Sunday?

6. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

x2

But then again, I come here for the community, rather than a business type of thing.

I'm not saying the seller had to accept the item back, but I would have in his position. I would definitely never buy from him again, and if I was asked I would advise others of what happened to me and let them decide on whether it's worth taking a chance on this guy :)

7. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

This kind of bums me out. I have had nothing but good experiences here on style forum, both buying and selling. I have returned two items when they arrived with damage not mentioned in the original thread, and the seller was extremely apologetic and helpful with the return. While I understand having a "no returns" policy, the seller in question has a policy for random strangers on ebay, but doesn't honor it for someone who has the same interests as himself and is part of the SF community? Maybe I'm too sentimental, but I think better of SF members usually...

8. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

China is a no for shipping new Alden's to right? Just listed and get a bunch of messages from chinese buyers

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

Taking my daughter on an egg hunt, then enjoying a giant fucking ham. How bout you?

If you dont ship Aldens to Asia, you are losing out on hundreds of bucks in bids.

10. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

An Ebay buyer bought a shirt by "Vince" from me back in January and contacted me today (50 days later) to tell me that it is counterfeit because the material is "paper-thin". I highly doubt anyone takes the time to counterfeit Vince shirts and the shirt had MOP buttons, which seems like an odd expenditure for a counterfeiter.

This is all over a $15 shirt - is it even worth trying to argue about this with him? Or do I just suck it up and give him his money back? Thoughts?

11. dexconstruct

dexconstruct Well-Known Member

Giant fucking hams will be involved. Probably madras shirts and shorts too (it's like 100 degrees here in Phoenix.). I am guessing most people will be doing the same. You still gonna end your auctions on Sunday?

12. caseyfud

caseyfud Well-Known Member

I thought buyers had 45 days to complain?

13. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

According to the customer service rep I spoke with they have 45 days to file a claim, but 60 days to leave negative feedback. The rep essentially said I should try to stall him for 10 days.

14. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus

It just snowed 4" in 2 hours here. No madras for me.

Auctions end Sunday as scheduled yes. A brief, remote island shitty wifi snafu delayed the auctions that end on Easter until about 9:30pm, but still ending as always. Ended on Sundays when they fell on 12/25, 1/1, etc. No matter to me - YMMV, from me, people expect consistency.

15. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

you have a shitty realtor

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  16. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

The first thing you need to learn about working with realtors is that they do not work for you, they work for themselves. Getting a quick sale is the most important thing to them, the difference of, say $10k in price equates to only $300 to them, so they don't care much about getting you the best price, just any reasonable offer. In fact, the buyers realtor has more incentive to get higher offers from their clients because while they still only get 3%, they know that there will be a purchase (the sellers realtor can't be so sure), so they want the commission to be as big as possible, and aren't having to spend any money on marketing.

But I digress.

17. stevent

+1

I have them open to china hence messages, wanted to make sure. What method do you use?

18. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

LOL.

SF needs to allow us to customize our signature by thread, so Spoo can add "Express mail for all international shipments" to his Ebay thread sig.

Sorry, StevenT, it's just we've answered that question like 10 times lately.

19. stevent

Fair point, that's what he's always said but I dunno, only experience I've had was all the Chinese students shipping iPads back from the US, and half of those get stolen in customs

Should follow this thread more but been traveling lately and just got back and need to get some tax funds in

Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  20. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

But that's why you do express. It's insured and tracked beyond the border. Registered first class has a cap on the insurance amount.