1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Yeah, but he is kinda trapped too. If he opens a claim it was not returned as described, the buyer only has to say he thought it was fake and ebay will side with the buyer all day long.

2. tben

tben Well-Known Member

Yeah man, it sucks. I reported him, not that it helps. I will have to access that buyers list.
    That sucks.

3. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

I justify it by saying it protects me against listing fees and other fees I can't get back from a simple refund/cancel, lost time and materials for shipping that aren't reimbursed, plus against the perceived value diminution by future buyers that the item was defective or not as described. (Obv, if the item WASN'T as described, we're not having this conversation because I've already waived the restocking fee and agreed to refund original shipping). Rarely get pushback once it's explained.
    Is this the tie I sent you? Timing is right. Sorry, dude!
    I've noticed this and other issues due to people using the mobile app. The "condition" window doesn't come up on the app, and neither do the pictures embedded in the description -- indeed, the description is a whole separate page that I suspect nobody actually clicks. Worse, since Ebay limits file sizes to 7 megs, some of my digital pics are too big. I rely on the description embedded pics, but obviously many folks aren't viewing them.

4. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

I did not mean to offend you and my logic was flawed.

The state of Illinois is being sufficated by Entitlements.

But, yes I do consign out of my state.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  5. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

I was thinking that...[​IMG]

6. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

No, BTW thank you it was perfect!!!

7. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

:fistbump:

8. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

If it's not returned in the same condition as purchased why do u have to give a refund?

9. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Well-Known Member

Mainy - whatever happened with this?

10. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Learned my lesson about dealing with people here outside of ebay. Won't be doing that again :(

11. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

^ tell us more please?

i have had so many good transactions with people here outside of ebay...

12. PattyC

PattyC Well-Known Member

Bit of a newbie questions here, but do you guys all list on Thursday evenings? I was always under the impression that Sunday was the best day to list for 7 day auctions.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  13. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Yes

Yes. Thursday nights....but for 10 days ending on Sunday night. That way you have two weekends of exposure. It is worth it. Search back a bit in this thread, I have actual data to back it up.

14. PattyC

PattyC Well-Known Member

Ah makes sense, will look into it. Thanks.

15. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Seller did nothing wrong, I was just venting frustration at myself. After waiting over a month watching the perfect pair of jeans that I was after and being upset that they sold, I found a similar pair (first mistake I guess). I wasn't sure about the wash, but I thought it looked good and figured I was safe because there was an unconditional return policy. Decided to buy, but thought the seller may be one of the resellers from the RRL thread, so I messaged him asking if he'd like to transact outside of ebay. Asked for a 5% discount, basically a split of the FVF, but didn't bother bartering because they were priced at fair market value and I was willing to pay that for what I wanted. Anyways jeans arrived, and I don't really like the color in person (gray is hard to capture as it is) and they fit much looser than my other jeans of the same brand/cut. Asked if he would be willing to take a return and I would pay his original shipping (free in the auction), plus restocking fee, plus my shipping. He didn't have to of course because I didn't buy them on ebay... and he didn't. So I'm stuck with them. Again, seller did nothing technically wrong; I'm just frustrated that I tried to do something nice by avoiding ebay and will now be out more money. It's totally my fault, wasn't worth the $5 saved, and I won't buy from him again.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  16. concealed

concealed Well-Known Member

what a dick. username on sf? i think you should be able to resell them on ebay, you will probably lose $20 out of the affair, but its better than keeping clothes you don't fancy.

17. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

I'm not the seller (just to make that clear), but WHAT? The seller did nothing wrong. As VLSI said numerous times, the seller did nothing wrong.

1 person likes this.
  18. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Jeans are already listed, and yes, it will be about a $20 mistake. At least he said I could use his pictures :crackup:

Unfortunately, yes :( Like I said, lesson learned. However, I typically would have asked for a larger discount if I was going the SF hook-up route, so given that I actually allowed him to net more money off of me this way, it's a little annoying. Just mad at myself really.

19. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

I have to depart from you, Brother Pore.

Seller got every penny of what he would have expected on Ebay, plus some. Why is it unreasonable, from a strict fairness perspective, to expect him to honor the same warranty, especially among a community like this? VLSI's return offer was so fair, that the seller would have been strongly protected (though, dude, if you did the math, I suspect you're going to do better NOW by selling on Ebay than via the return). If I were all lawyering it up from a negotiation perspective I would say he created a course of dealing by offering those terms on Ebay, and then by receiving essentially the same price here, he created the expectancy that the same terms applied via the course of dealing. If I were litigating it, I might not like my chances, but at least from a negotiation/contract formation standpoint, it seems like bad faith.

Just MHO.

20. caseyfud

caseyfud Well-Known Member

For transactions through SF I'm thought it was generally accepted that once you get the item it's your problem; if you don't like the fit or the color or whatever just resell it (like VLSI is doing). If I sold things through SF I don't think I'd accept returns.