• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Please chime in with your suggestions. 

Used stuff?

Oxxford, as you mentioned. Hickey Freeman, H Freeman & Sons, Brooks Brothers, and J Press can be stolen if you are patient.

Last edited:

McPryon

Reaction score
I'm noticing an aggravating trend, and that's people ending auctions. Three out of the five items I've been on in the last week have had the bids canceled and auction ended because "the item is no longer available." I understand things happen on rare occasions, but I think people are abusing the ability to end an auction. And I'm talking week-long auctions being canceled after two days, not BIN items. It's seriously frustrating and a pretty lame thing to do.

GRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

suited

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My ghetto lighting setup = 2 clamp lights with 100W CFLs, day light spectrum, with a white bed sheet as my backdrop. I need to get some light stands, as you can see, but I think with a little tweaking it will work and save me from having to buy a real lighting setup. Also purchased a bigger desk.

Need to fix the washout around the collar, but other than that I don't think it's too bad for 30 bucks.

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't ship internationally, but I have a pair of size 5 redwings that buyer in Japan is interested in, And asked about pricing, which is where my question lays.

I looked online to best of my ability for shipping these shoes to Japan and wanted to run the $'s by u to c if it sounds accurate.

Priority mail int. shows about 60-65$
That sound accurate and worth informing the buyer?

scootypuff

Reaction score
I don't ship internationally, but I have a pair of size 5 redwings that buyer in Japan is interested in, And asked about pricing, which is where my question lays.

I looked online to best of my ability for shipping these shoes to Japan and wanted to run the $'s by u to c if it sounds accurate.

Priority mail int. shows about 60-65$
That sound accurate and worth informing the buyer?
You could use the Priority large flat rate box which is 60.95 but at that price, you could opt to go with Express Mail International with your own packaging to make them happier and it could be cheaper too. Use postcalc.usps.com to check postage rates and for non-flat rate options, it is cheaper to buy postage online.

Last edited:

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok
I would recommend the large flat rate box since it is one of few international options with actual delivery confirmation. The large flat rate box is 60.95 to Japan.

thank u so much, any specific details with customs I need to look out for? Do I send it as gift on customs form?

scootypuff

Reaction score
Ok
thank u so much, any specific details with customs I need to look out for? Do I send it as gift on customs form?
Well it is technically illegal to mark it as gift, so it is up to you if you are willing to do so. Just make sure if you're planning to insure the package, declare the full amount. I say this because some buyers also ask sellers to undervalue the item to avoid customs fees and you'll only be covered for the amount you declared if something happens to the package.

Last edited:

Steve Smith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Several of you have mentioned that Registered Mail is your preferred method for international shipping. Do you send it First Class with no extra insurance? Is Registered considered to be about 100% secure no matter where it is sent?

hrb

Reaction score
Is this also an ebay venting thread :censored:

I purchased an item from a buyer in Canada. I am also in Canada. the item - a suit jacket - sold for a quite a low price, $23.00. The seller sent me an invoice with an international USPS shipping quote of $30.00 for the jacket, for a combined total of $53.00. (In my experience $30.00 is incredibly high for shipping a suit jacket internationally let alone domestically).

I requested the seller to send a new invoice with the domestic shipping charge and noted I would pay as soon as that was done. They then sent me the sole message I have received from them to date which stated they could not change the shipping as it would be unfair to the other bidders. He/She proceeded to send another invoice with international shipping at the aforementioned price. After another message on my part explaining this makes no sense, the seller opened a case with ebay to cancel the order, which I declined.

This morning, I contacted ebay customer service, who is sending the seller a notice to change to shipping to domestic. They said, predictably and understandably, they cannot force the seller to change the shipping.

That all said, I would rather pay for the item and it's offensive, incorrect, international shipping charge, as I got a great deal, but this seems very wrong. My underlying suspicion (with no evidence) is the seller thought they were going to get 5 times or so the amount they did for the item are and wanting to re-list it. Lastly, I appreciate this is far too much energy spent on $30, but for me it is more about the precedent of good business and feeling like I'm getting screwed. Any experiences, thoughts, or suggestions from you upstanding, frequently using, ebay sellers and buyers here on SF?

Last edited:

concealed

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this also an ebay venting thread
censored.gif

I purchased an item from a buyer in Canada. I am also in Canada. the item - a suit jacket - sold for a quite a low price, $23.00. The seller sent me an invoice with an international USPS shipping quote of $30.00 for the jacket, for a combined total of $53.00. (In my experience $30.00 is incredibly high for shipping a suit jacket internationally let alone domestically).

I requested the seller to send a new invoice with the domestic shipping charge and noted I would pay as soon as that was done. They then sent me the sole message I have received from them to date which stated they could not change the shipping as it would be unfair to the other bidders. He/She proceeded to send another invoice with international shipping at the aforementioned price. After another message from my part explaining this makes no sense, the seller opened a case with ebay to cancel the order, which I declined.

This morning, I contacted ebay customer service, who is sending the seller a notice to change to shipping to domestic. They said, predictably and understandable, they cannot force the seller to change the shipping.

That all said, I would rather pay for the item and it's offensive, incorrect, international shipping charge, as I got a great deal, but this seems very wrong. My underlying suspicion (with no evidence) is the seller thought they were going to get 5 times or so the amount they did for the item are and wanting to re-list it. Lastly, I appreciate this is far too much energy spent on $30, but for me it is more about the precedent of good business and feeling like I'm getting screwed. Any experiences, thoughts, or suggestions from you upstanding, frequently using, ebay sellers and buyers here on SF?

this seller is totally offsides, i nominate him to any running black list of sellers

Last edited:

Stewie

Reaction score
Ok, I know the love isnt going to be there on this, but pretty sure it will do okay...my problem is how do I describe this reversible vest?

hrb

Reaction score

this seller is totally offsides, i nominate him to any running black list of sellers

Name of seller:

indy_z

feel free to ad if there is a list going mods. I have no problem throwing their name out there!

Tweets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Name of seller:

indy_z

feel free to ad if there is a list going mods. I have no problem throwing their name out there!
Nice find, he appears to be an idiot since he failed to mention the measurement in the title, listed it as a 48 in the listing which appears to be Italian sizing, as it appears to measure about a 38 which is probably why it didn't sell for ****.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads