1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

Thanks, probably worth the time to do 3 seperate and just mention others available on other auctions.

Wish I had your clientele...

2. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

Well, if they are the same size and measurements, you will only have to choose "list similar item" and change the photos. Shouldn't take but a minute to do the other two once the first one is done.

My Clientele is the same as everyone else's...the entire world of ebay.

3. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me why I can list auctions as BINOBO on my phone but not online? And why don't they show up with the best offer option on the phone?

Ebay needs some serious work on the UI side. Why oh why won't they hire me!! [​IMG]

4. SeaJen

SeaJen Well-Known Member

The best offer option is only available (to me at least) with the "advanced listing tool", not the "quick listing tool"

5. razl

razl Well-Known Member

I'm only an occasional seller, but definitely a buyer. I could not believe I got the following response from a seller based on my question:

Me:
    Seller:
    Ok. Good luck selling your suit with dutiful jacket measurements but nothing - not even the waist - for the trousers (and, no, it's not in the pics either).

Crazy. I was interested, now I'm not.

1 person likes this.
  6. ruben

ruben Well-Known Member

:wow:

That's crazy, I had no idea. Is that what they generally go for, or is it because you put out that much better listings?

7. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Flipping tweed suits is good, flipping 3 piece tweed suits is great!!

8. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Well-Known Member

Sometimes, SC's too...

9. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Sold a pair of chinos for like $12 NWOT, had shipping at $12.88 and buyer happened to be in CA so cost was around $6. Would have been 10ish if on east coast due to weight. Buyer now is asking me to refund him the money. Is that a little bs or is that just me? Not trying to get my first negative feedback for $7 but shipping is put at a flat rate. Should I just refund or not respond or what?

10. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Total BS. Shipping & handling. If you marked flat rate shipping, he knew it going in. This is one reason to never click the add shipping cost to label box though.

11. capnwes

1 person likes this.
  12. capnwes

+1....the box may be autochecked by default, so you will have to un-check it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  13. capnwes

Great news! The $82 has been refunded to my account as of this morning. I have already sent thankyou emails to the sweet ladies at my local P.O. They really are great women, they are always pleasant to deal with, and always recognize and call me by name. One of the perks of living in a town of 1200.....and being probably the most active shipper. I spent over $18K on shipping last year.

1 person likes this.
  14. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

15. hooker4186

hooker4186 Well-Known Member

There have been times though when I've checked the box on purpose when I am actually eating a couple bucks on shipping - hoping that a bidder will see that the actual cost of shipping was $10 when I only charged $8 or something similar. Hopefully that will lead to positive feedback and detailed feedback but who really knows...

1 person likes this.
  16. Evil Abed

Evil Abed Well-Known Member

Can/should I message a buyer after a good transaction has taken place to remind them to leave feedback?

Everything went through as planned, left him positive buyer feedback after I saw that he received the item and didn't raise any questions/have any issues. Just figured if he's happy I might want to nudge him a bit... If that's alright to do.

17. nohio

nohio Well-Known Member

Buyer says a pair of pants he bought (dirt cheap) don't fit. He wants me to ask another bidder if they want to buy them. Even if I did this, I have no idea how to arrange the transaction. Any ideas on how to respond?

18. stevent

stevent Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tips, I refunded money but did mention it was a flat fee and that I waited 35 minutes at post office which was true. Printer isn't working now so I had to go to post office and can't hide postage unfortunately

19. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

Wow, congrats! You have to be one of the best customers at that office, so Im'm glad both you and the staff stuck with it!

Sure, there's nothing wrong with that. Just write something short and polite asking them that if they were satisfied with it, you'd appreciate positive feedback. Most probably don't leave feedback because they don't think about it, especially if they're new. People are always more likely to voice negative experiences rather than positive experiences.

I'd definitely stay away from trying to broker a deal. They know that it was likely their fault (assuming you posted measurements), so they aren't asking you for a refund. I'd suggest telling him to try to resell them and that he is free to use your photos from the auction listing. I believe someone here (Spoo, maybe) had some good luck dealing with someone in that manner.

Has he left feedback? If he has, it's your choice to do something about it, but if they were dirt cheap and he's willing to pay shipping, you may consider just offering him a goodwill return and then trying to resell them at a better price.

1 person likes this.