1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buying and Selling on eBay: Tips, Tricks, Problems & Questions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by HansderHund, Jul 27, 2012.

1. 83glt

83glt Well-Known Member

With all respect I disagree. I buy as much as I sell on ebay. I can honestly say that in over 10 years of buying I've never been screwed by a seller - not once. As a seller, I've had 6 cases opened in just the last 3 months! Things have changed dramatically at ebay recently, and it really is becoming the wild west. Your analogy doesn't work IMO because in brick and mortar, a thief who gets caught goes to jail. On ebay a thief can't get caught, gets away with it and is encouraged to continue the behavior. I think ebay/paypal really need to address this growing problem as it's unsustainable. The irony is that sellers are ebay/paypal's customers. That's where they make their money. What other business treats their customers so poorly? Airlines maybe?

2. chiron

chiron Well-Known Member

3. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

4. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

5. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Well-Known Member

It's an amputee shoe in the sense that it was amputated from the display.

6. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

I hate Ebay sometimes...

I can't edit anything about my listing because it's too close to the end. And I put the wrong F%&king model name in the listing.

Can someone click on this link, and ask a question? Ask, "Are you sure this isn't the Sonic Glove?"

Thanks much!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190786676422

7. Snoogz

Snoogz Well-Known Member

Done. Best of luck with it.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  8. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

Thanks.

Apparently EBay doesn't post last minute questions to the item page. I'll have to hope that the winner is okay with it. I will let them know... The only difference is the material of the uppers!

9. GMMcL

GMMcL Well-Known Member

Two more names for the blacklist. One made an offer on an item then, after it was accepted, tried to renegotiate the postage. The other is returning a suit he drove up to a very favorable price that I'll never see again because of a few loose strings and normal wear and tear trouser lining discoloration Hello? Pre-owned!

10. Fueco

Fueco Well-Known Member

D

Dodged a bullet there... They guy who won the auction is the same one who pointed out my error (I forgot to post my response to his question to the item page).

11. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  12. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Well-Known Member

If you sell one item of clothing at a time Parcel Post is never the answer. But when you live in North Carolina and sell two suits, a pair of shoes, and three pairs of pants to somebody in California, Parcel Post can make sense. You will save about $15 in that example.

1 person likes this.
  13. HansderHund

HansderHund Well-Known Member

I finally bought GarageSale this afternoon and have been messing around with it. I have to say that I like it a lot so far and that it's fairly intuitive. I certainly don't know all of the ins and outs of it yet, so I'll likely be posting questions here as I encounter them.

I wasn't aware that there were two versions of it until I went to search for it on the App store. I went with the full version as it offered a number of options that I thought I'd use. Has anyone ever gone for the cheaper option?

I can say that it worked with no problems on Austrian/German ebay and all of the same categories came up on the list. I also found out that it was made by Germans. Anyway, I will update the thread as I use it, though there are certainly a number of people here that already use it and I'm probably slow to take advantage of it.

14. Tweets

Tweets Well-Known Member

What's your guys feelings on the following situation...you list an item with 1 day shipping & handling processing time, buyer takes 10 days to finally pay. Do you feel you are still obligated to ship the next day? I had an item sell on the 13th, guy finally paid on the 24th and I said screw it, it can go out on Monday with the other items I have.

You think any problems will arise?

Just a note about this specific situation--same guy bought a shirt from me 2-3 months ago...got the sob story about his CC stolen and waiting on a new one to pay me, same story again on this shirt so I really feel like this one won't be an issue but would like to know your thoughts for the future.

15. silentfox74

silentfox74 Active Member

You don't get anxiety for the wait? I would be...imo...drop him next time.

16. Brianpore

Brianpore Well-Known Member

As long as you ship in a day or two it dosnt matter except that it effects your ebay seller rating if you want to be a top rated seller.

17. VLSI

VLSI Well-Known Member

Just print the label byt change the ship date to whenever you want within next three days, ship it when you feel like it, won't be counted against you.

18. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

Noob question: Up until this point, when an auction completed, the funds would not be available until the package was recieved via the tracking infromation. Just last week and I am noticing again this week, it has not being doing this, Is this something that is removed when a seller reaches a certain milestone? I'm not complaining, it actually takes away much of the headache of selling, I am just confused because I received no indication of the switch from eBay.

19. capnwes

capnwes Well-Known Member

It was never like that when I started selling, but yes, it is part of the seller limitations until you develop a good reputation. Just the same as listing limits in certain categories.

Basically it keeps a scammer from coming in with a new ebay id, selling 500 invisible ipads and running off with the money.

20. Ken P

Ken P Well-Known Member

Make sense. Glad it's finally gone though, took a lot of patience selling, having to ship before even recieve the funds, etc. Thanks!