1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buy New Car vs Buying Used Car

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by constant struggle, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Chiaroscuro

Chiaroscuro Well-Known Member

You are getting alot of just really bad advice here. Seriously you are recommending a boxster to someone who puts 25k miles on a car a year? Guy is just trying to get to work.

I forgot about the 25k a year thing.

2. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

speaking of the maxima, it's disappearance in crazy. seems like 8-9 years ago, every third car on the road was a maxima. i never see them anymore.

Shit changes; like that guy said above, they bumped up the cabin size of the Altima and bumped it to 6cyl's and at the same time, they brought the Infiniti G, which is a much better car than the Maxima will ever be, so the Maxima is pretty defunct now. The Maxima is actually a good competitor with the ES350 and Acura TL in concept but once again, as it always was since Honda and Toyota have had V6 sedans, fallen behind because of branding. Nissan fucking sucks at branding their Nissan cars, they almost let their Infiniti line bleed to death very slowly and painfully there.

I had one of the Maximas you were talking about, they were standard with the 3.0L V6 which was the best engine amongst the Accord, Camry, and Maxima trifecta, and was a bit bigger than the other two. It had the same features or more, and the Accord was a bit better looking at the time (mid 90's here, so 94-97 Accord) but the Maxima was always better priced, better featured, and slightly cheaper. I guess they changed this into the newer Altima without telling anyone, but that is why that old Maxima was a good car and was popular for the time. They make good cars, but can't figure out how to sell them since they are always trying to run with Toyota but can't do that, and have to sell more cars than Honda.

3. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Well-Known Member

The Porsche Cayman is a great car that is retarded to buy for $65K, btw. I'd buy one used for like $20K like all of the Boxsters that float about, but $65K has always been 'slightly used 911 still under warranty' money...

4. constant struggle

constant struggle Well-Known Member

I think im going to go with a used 330Ci when the time comes...

Can get around 35K mile car for 15K or less... i think that is some of the best value available to me

love the style of the early-mid 2000s
    [​IMG]

well too bad this one dissapeared over the weekend... ill start seriously looking in the spring

5. eg1

eg1 Well-Known Member

I buy off-lease domestics (the larger the better -- currently a '98 Aurora and '00 LS) and drive them into the ground -- strictly from a cost perspective, I think this is the best value proposition provided you have a trustworthy mechanic.