1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Button down short sleeve shirts

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by KING HARDCASTLE, Mar 7, 2011.

1. KING HARDCASTLE

KING HARDCASTLE Member

What does everyone think about these type of shirts? I live in a very warm area (will be 100+ in summer + very very humid) and simply refuse to wear long sleeve shirts or jackets during this time lol. I tend to wear a lot of v-necks or polos, but that gets boring after a while. Was wanting to pick up some short sleeve button downs to wear to casual social functions/bars/restaurants (1 in white and 1 in black).

Any good brands to check out? Links?

[​IMG]

or http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/boss-ora...-shirt/3142572

one above seems kinda played out/dorky

2. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Well-Known Member

1. A button down is a shirt whose collars button down
    2. Where do you live that covering your arms will cause such over heating?
    3. You won't get much love for short sleeve shirts on here, maybe SW&D can help
    4. If you work in IT or Mission Control forget the above and knock yourself out

3. phxlawstudent

phxlawstudent Well-Known Member

I suggest you look at yourself in the mirror with the shirt on and getting feedback from people whom your trying to impress before committing.

Personally, I hate the look. Unless its an Aloha shirt and I'm back home in Hawaii.

4. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

If you are talking about casual wear....go for it...

5. Mudhiker

Mudhiker Well-Known Member

Thumbs down to the black shirt if your ultimate goal is staying cool.

6. JayJay

JayJay Well-Known Member

If you are talking about casual wear....go for it...
    Yes. Strictly casual, and untucked.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I do quite well just rolling up the sleeves on my normal shirts. It makes for a more versatile shirt than one you can only wear when it is very warm.

8. MadAboutPlaid

MadAboutPlaid Well-Known Member

With shorts, maybe - but not to work unless you want to look like Michael Douglas in the movie "Falling Down"

9. Storm33

Storm33 Well-Known Member

When I see people in short sleeve shirts like that at work, I think "low-level staff accountant" / "nerd".

10. ter1413

ter1413 Well-Known Member

When I see people in short sleeve shirts like that at work, I think "low-level staff accountant" / "nerd".

"Was wanting to pick up some short sleeve button downs to wear to casual social functions/bars/restaurants"

he didn't say work...

11. gort

gort Well-Known Member

The look can definitely work. Michael C Hall as Dexter is someone who comes to mind that can pull the look off rather well.

12. NORE

NORE Well-Known Member

I do quite well just rolling up the sleeves on my normal shirts. It makes for a more versatile shirt than one you can only wear when it is very warm.

This. No to the Dilbert shirt.

13. TRA8324

TRA8324 Well-Known Member

Short sleeved button ups are fine, but to work they need to be slim fitting with short, slim fitting sleeves. I think they looks best untucked as well, but for this to work you need to make sure it's not too long. I find that buying a size down helps because the shirt will be more slim fitting and shorter.

14. sellahi22

sellahi22 Well-Known Member

I think button down short sleeve shirts are way underrated. I strongly prefer them to both polo shirts and rolled up long sleeve shirts (which seriously inhibit air circulation on a hot day).

The key to avoiding the dilbert look is, obviously, fabric and fit. Avoid dressy fabrics like fine poplin, and avoid heavy fabrics like oxfords. Linen works well IME, as well as poplins with nice, bold summery patterns (checks preferable to stripes). A slightly rumpled look is superior to a crisp, pressed look, so the fabric should accomodate that. Torso fit can be slim or loose, but it's crucial that the sleeves are slim and not too long - otherwise it will look like a tommy bahama grandpa shirt.

15. Douglas

Douglas Well-Known Member

I am not a fan. Unless you are very fit, a la Dexter (who was mentioned above) or some of the guys on Hawaii 5-0, and are wearing one that is very, very fitted, including in the sleeves and armholes, I tend to think it is a very unrefined look.

I personally find just rolling up the sleeves on a conventional shirt is plenty cool enough for me, even if you are in a warmer climate. I spend a lot of time in tropical places like Hong Kong and I have no problem with long sleeves.

It is extra helpful if you wear fabrics that are thin or breathe easily, or sit off your skin a little to allow for some cooling. E.g. linen, chambray, seersucker.

16. cptjeff

cptjeff Well-Known Member

As somebody who actually lives in a hot climate (during the summer, I'm in a freezing cold one in winter), they're great. Just not in any fabric you could ever see a dress shirt being made out of. No plain oxford, no broadcloth. You want brighter, livelier fabrics. Checks, stripes, there are plenty of fun options. Go to the sport shirt section of a big store, and pick out a few that fit well. Make sure they're 100% cotton and you're fine. No need to have them custom tailored out of high end cloths. They're sport shirts, treat them as such.

As for wearing, some are better tucked, some untucked. If you have the figure to tuck without your belly hanging out, tuck tuck tuck. If you don't, never tuck and make sure you're buying shorter ones with straight hems, meant to be worn untucked.

Anyone advocating long sleeves has either never spent significant time in the heat, or does not have a functioning nervous system. If you live in NYC and your idea of hot is 90, you cannot comment. Above 100 with 90% humidity? That's a wholly different world. Long sleeves, even rolled up, in that kind of environment will make you a fair bit hotter. If you just visit those climates occasionally, I don't think that really qualifies you to comment.

But you do need to stay away from the dilbert shirt effect. Baggy short sleeve plain oxfords just look dorky. The sleeves should be shorter and trim, and the body should not be a tent. And you'll also want to have polos. Those can be fun and interesting too.

17. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Well-Known Member

I think button down short sleeve shirts are way underrated. I strongly prefer them to both polo shirts and rolled up long sleeve shirts (which seriously inhibit air circulation on a hot day).

The key to avoiding the dilbert look is, obviously, fabric and fit. Avoid dressy fabrics like fine poplin, and avoid heavy fabrics like oxfords. Linen works well IME, as well as poplins with nice, bold summery patterns (checks preferable to stripes). A slightly rumpled look is superior to a crisp, pressed look, so the fabric should accomodate that. Torso fit can be slim or loose, but it's crucial that the sleeves are slim and not too long - otherwise it will look like a tommy bahama grandpa shirt.

This. Casual only (no tie) and a nice alternative to a polo.

18. KING HARDCASTLE

KING HARDCASTLE Member

I suggest you look at yourself in the mirror with the shirt on and getting feedback from people whom your trying to impress before committing.

Personally, I hate the look. Unless its an Aloha shirt and I'm back home in Hawaii.

I'm a single guy so the only people I'm trying to impress are girls lol

Was planning on doing untucked but sometimes tucked can look pretty smooth. See below

I think it looks better if I get a short sleeve rather than rolling it up (keep in mind I want the sleeves to be mid bicep or higher)

With shorts, maybe - but not to work unless you want to look like Michael Douglas in the movie "Falling Down"
    I would never wear this to work.

The look can definitely work. Michael C Hall as Dexter is someone who comes to mind that can pull the look off rather well.
    Agreed.

Short sleeved button ups are fine, but to work they need to be slim fitting with short, slim fitting sleeves. I think they looks best untucked as well, but for this to work you need to make sure it's not too long. I find that buying a size down helps because the shirt will be more slim fitting and shorter.
    My thoughts exactly. I want these shirts to be very form fitting. No inbetween on short sleeve button ups... either form fitting or super loose tropical style

Great points. Any brands/links to check out? Hard to find good short sleeve button ups

I am not a fan. Unless you are very fit, a la Dexter (who was mentioned above) or some of the guys on Hawaii 5-0, and are wearing one that is very, very fitted, including in the sleeves and armholes, I tend to think it is a very unrefined look.

I personally find just rolling up the sleeves on a conventional shirt is plenty cool enough for me, even if you are in a warmer climate. I spend a lot of time in tropical places like Hong Kong and I have no problem with long sleeves.

It is extra helpful if you wear fabrics that are thin or breathe easily, or sit off your skin a little to allow for some cooling. E.g. linen, chambray, seersucker.

Good advice. I also work out a lot so I think I'll be able to pull it off

As somebody who actually lives in a hot climate (during the summer, I'm in a freezing cold one in winter), they're great. Just not in any fabric you could ever see a dress shirt being made out of. No plain oxford, no broadcloth. You want brighter, livelier fabrics. Checks, stripes, there are plenty of fun options. Go to the sport shirt section of a big store, and pick out a few that fit well. Make sure they're 100% cotton and you're fine. No need to have them custom tailored out of high end cloths. They're sport shirts, treat them as such.

As for wearing, some are better tucked, some untucked. If you have the figure to tuck without your belly hanging out, tuck tuck tuck. If you don't, never tuck and make sure you're buying shorter ones with straight hems, meant to be worn untucked.

Anyone advocating long sleeves has either never spent significant time in the heat, or does not have a functioning nervous system. If you live in NYC and your idea of hot is 90, you cannot comment. Above 100 with 90% humidity? That's a wholly different world. Long sleeves, even rolled up, in that kind of environment will make you a fair bit hotter. If you just visit those climates occasionally, I don't think that really qualifies you to comment.

But you do need to stay away from the dilbert shirt effect. Baggy short sleeve plain oxfords just look dorky. The sleeves should be shorter and trim, and the body should not be a tent. And you'll also want to have polos. Those can be fun and interesting too.

Great advice. Yes people underestimate the weather. I'm in Houston, TX and it will be 100+ and so humid that it makes you uncomfortable just walking around. Fucking terrible.

This. Casual only (no tie) and a nice alternative to a polo.
    Agreed. I hate the vest or tie look when going out to bars/clubs so I'd never wear that. Just a personal preference.

More pics I was looking at:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Icehawk

Icehawk Well-Known Member

I like them but in general prefer a plain sleeve end especially in white - with a cuff you end up looking like a Mormon. I've got a few with "fancy" cuffs and they look cool but are a PITA to iron.

20. Pantherhare

Pantherhare Member

Quick bump on this thread to ask who makes the shirt that Daniel Craig is wearing in that picture next to the woman in the bikini?