1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Button-down collar w/french cuff Finamore shirt - wtf?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by EL72, Aug 18, 2006.

1. edmorel

edmorel Well-Known Member

I like the look and think that I might add one to my next shirt order.

Actually, I'm going to Carl at Cego next week and order one(my first Cego shirt) with a high collar and possibly two buttons on the collar.

2. Christofuh

Christofuh Well-Known Member

Might be Andrea or one of the kids behind this brainstorm. I doubt old Al would've come up with something like that in a bazillion years.

3. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

While I try to decipher what the hell that last post just said, I'd really like to see exactly why this combination is so disliked. It's the same as all those people who wank to Aeon Flux and say the movie's bad, but never actually say why. "IT JUST IS!!!!111qq2q3"

4. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

While I try to decipher what the hell that last post just said, I'd really like to see exactly why this combination is so disliked. It's the same as all those people who wank to Aeon Flux and say the movie's bad, but never actually say why. "IT JUST IS!!!!111qq2q3"

The mismatch of casual collar and flashy, much-more-formal cuffs just doesn't work for me.

5. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

More formal because they happen to be on evening shirts? I'm seriously not getting it. Maybe I too am of the mind that buttondown and double cuffs are simply another combination one can come up with. After all, no one seems to complain about point collars being on casual shirts or barrel cuffs being on dress shirts with point collars. [​IMG] Hope I don't come off as pretentious, but I'm not eternally bound by all these endless rules on dress. Like Jason, if I see something and think it'll look good, I do it. I do know what to avoid to give off the wrong impression subconsciously in others' minds depending on situation. Point is, this just doesn't seem like one of those things.

6. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

I like the look and think that I might add one to my next shirt order.

I think it would look great with notch lapel DJ and repp tie.

7. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

More formal because they happen to be on evening shirts? I'm seriously not getting it. Maybe I too am of the mind that buttondown and double cuffs are simply another combination one can come up with. After all, no one seems to complain about point collars being on casual shirts or barrel cuffs being on dress shirts with point collars. [​IMG]

Hope I don't come off as pretentious, but I'm not eternally bound by all these endless rules on dress. Like Jason, if I see something and think it'll look good, I do it. I do know what to avoid to give off the wrong impression subconsciously in others' minds depending on situation. Point is, this just doesn't seem like one of those things.

I hear what you're saying. But it's like wearing bals with khaki trousers and short-sleeved shirts. Some guys think it looks good. I find it the juxtaposition very jarring. Same here with buttondown collars and cufflinks.

Out of curiosity, what links would you wear with such a shirt? Silk knots?

8. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Well-Known Member

I hear what you're saying. But it's like wearing bals with khaki trousers and short-sleeved shirts. Some guys think it looks good. I find it the juxtaposition very jarring. Same here with buttondown collars and cufflinks. Out of curiosity, what links would you wear with such a shirt? Silk knots?
    I don't know. I am happy wearing a spread collar shirt with french cuffs and a knit tie with a flat end. I don't see this as any different, but maybe the combination that I describe above is jarring to some people. The cufflinks were tigers eye bars with gold trim and chain.

9. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

It's an interesting but subtle shirt that I wouldn't mind owning.

10. Christofuh

Christofuh Well-Known Member

Google is your friend...

11. Tomasso

Tomasso Well-Known Member

12. AmInAm

AmInAm Member

I saw Ian Bostridge (singing Winterreise, with Mitsuko Uchida at the piano) at the Concertgebouw last year, and I was slightly distracted (before he started singing, at least) by the fact that he was wearing a white shirt with buttondown collar and french cuffs. No stripes, though, as far as I could tell. It was a little surprising, but I thought he looked good, neverthless.

13. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

Google is your friend...
    Don't patronize me. Tomasso, I'm sure everyone saw the picture but it doesn't mean they think it looks good. I do, but not everyone else will just because it's Cary freakin' Grant. [​IMG]

14. EL72

EL72 Well-Known Member

Tomasso, I'm sure everyone saw the picture but it doesn't mean they think it looks good. I do, but not everyone else will just because it's Cary freakin' Grant. [​IMG]

Yes, indeed. Cary looks great in most anything he wears but I don't believe this is a look that can be faithfully emulated without looking off. There are many things Grant wore that wouldn't look good on others but he pulled them off beautifully.

15. Jovan

Jovan Well-Known Member

Pft. I could pull this off.