1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Burgundy shoes in Chicago?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by johnapril, Nov 10, 2004.

1. johnapril

johnapril Well-Known Member

Does anyone shop for shoes in Chicago?

I am looking for one nice pair of burgundy shoes to pair with a charcoal suit and a brown suit. No penny loafers, no monk straps, just a nice pair of shoes (brogues, lace-ups), a store with a selection, if possible.

2. drizzt3117

drizzt3117 Well-Known Member

Price Range?

I imagine Neiman's on Mich. Ave has what you need...

3. kabert

kabert Well-Known Member

Hanig's Footwear
    660 N Michigan Avenue
    Chicago, Illinois

They carry Alden shoes. Check out their cordovan or calfskin in Burgundy -- in particular, the split-toe lace-up (sort of a heavier looking version of the Edward Green Dover).

4. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

If you really want burgundy, I urge you to think long and hard about cordovan. It just takes to burgundy dye so, so much better than calf -- deeper, richer, better patina. Burgundy calf just looks phony. My opinion, but it is a strongly held opinion.

5. johnapril

No price limit necessarily, but I usually pay no more than $350 for shoes.

Ask for cordovan leather, right?

I know Hanig's. Corner across from Ferragamo.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

6. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Yes, Alden makes several modes, from lace-ups to loafers. They will be more than $350 at full retail, however.

7. johnapril

I like these: Alden Wing Tip Bal Oxford [​IMG]

8. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Classic shoe. Not great with summer weight suits, but perfect for almost everything else. I have the same shoe (almost): burgundy cordovan full brogue, RTW from Vass, on the U last. It is striking.

9. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

As I am replying, I am wearing the alden bal shell burgundy cordovan. This shoe at full retail would cost you approximately $100 more which I believe is a good investment. Cordovan shoes can be weared both business attire and casual attire. On the website(www.the shoemart.com)

10. johnapril

My shoe size is 11 (US), but sometimes 10.5. For example, with Ferragamo, I wear a 10.5, but in Mezlan I'm an 11. Do Alden cordovan shoes run a little big like Ferragamo? Would a 10.5 fit on an 11 foot?

11. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Go to website (www.alden of carmel.com) enter alden of carmel catalogue, enter fitting information and you will find interesting data about the various alden lasts.

12. johnapril

This is the Tremont last. Any idea if it runs true to size? Also, is such a shoe appropriate for a suit?

13. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

Yes, just not with lightweight summer suits. Fine with heavier worsteds. Perfect with flannels and tweeds.