• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Building a new computer

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I think Windows Media Center is much improved too.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also like the Libraries functionallity integrated with the Windows Explorer, so you can use your media on WMP or the WMC or even other media players in case you need.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
IT IS THE SAME THING!

Seriously, are you completely brain dead? You can't say Win98SE is superior for gaming and then discount that it WILL NOT PLAY most games because it does not support modern hardware that it takes to run them.

And yet you are repeatedly doing so.

You obviously have no proof to back up your assertions, which is why you've posted the same idiotic thing four or five times in a row now.

When you grow up, hopefully you'll learn not to spout off and pretend you know what you are talking about. If not, everyone around you who knows anything is going to think you are a complete idiot like everyone in this thread now does. Thanks for the entertainment.

What do you mean grow up? He's got 25 years experience and knows what risc and cisc are! He's oldsk00l.

Btw, why are you still arguing with him? It's a pointless endeavor.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
What do you mean grow up? He's got 25 years experience and knows what risc and cisc are! He's oldsk00l.

Btw, why are you still arguing with him? It's a pointless endeavor.

It's what I do. Being old has nothing to do with being grown up. He has the mental acuity of a child.

I pity anyone he's built a computer for.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
It's what I do. Being old has nothing to do with being grown up. He has the mental acuity of a child.

I pity anyone he's built a computer for.

I'm sure he built a good machine. In 1998.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coldarchon
no, I wanna see the quote where I said you need weaker processors for gaming ..

This is Windows 98 for you:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Alias

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
I'm sure he built a good machine. In 1998.

I'd pay monopoly dollars to a moderator to change his avatar from that weird person to a Win98 logo, and lock it so he can't change it back. Then he can be Tokyo Slim's Win98 twin buddy.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
lakewolf, I agree I love Windows 7. Yes I am having some compatibility issues but the list of programs is small and I am dual booting to Win XP to compensate.

I will say that I expected Windows Media Center to play Blu-Ray DVDs but was surprised to see that it did not. No big deal, as I will be buying an app so I can play Blu-Ray on my PC.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
lakewolf, I agree I love Windows 7. Yes I am having some compatibility issues but the list of programs is small and I am dual booting to Win XP to compensate. I will say that I expected Windows Media Center to play Blu-Ray DVDs but was surprised to see that it did not. No big deal, as I will be buying an app so I can play Blu-Ray on my PC.
Maybe you need only to buy a decoder because the decoder was not included on your Windows 7 version. When I had Windows XP Media Center edition, I could not read the normal DVDs without a decoder, something you could buy for 20 bucks online anyway. But the Window XP Media Center Home Premium included the decoder in the package. I have the Windows 7 Home Premium installed, don't have the Blu-Ray reader so I can't confirm if you can read them with this version, but normal DVDs are played OK.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
Maybe you need only to buy a decoder because the decoder was not included on your Windows 7 version.

When I had Windows XP Media Center edition, I could not read the normal DVDs without a decoder, something you could buy for 20 bucks online anyway. But the Window XP Media Center Home Premium included the decoder in the package.

I have the Windows 7 Home Premium installed, don't have the Blu-Ray reader so I can't confirm if you can read them with this version, but normal DVDs are played OK.

This wouldn't surprise me given that blue-ray=$ony.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Yeah, apparently there is no first party support from Windows for BR decoding. You have to install third party software (Either PowerDVD9 or TMT at the moment) to play the disks, but once you do, they should play in WMC.

It's only a matter of time before free codecs are available (crosses fingers). You can either wait it out, or rip your BR disks to .m2ts, which WMC should play natively.

streetminimal

Reaction score
80% of this thread has been tokyo slim vs coldarchon.

well enjoyed.

Ace Rimmer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
I have the Windows 7 Home Premium installed, don't have the Blu-Ray reader so I can't confirm if you can read them with this version, but normal DVDs are played OK.

I am also running Home Premium. I bought a LG BD ROM (not writer) drive so I could view movies on the PC. You know if I had spent an extra $10 to buy the retail version of my BD ROM drive it probably would have come with free Blu-Ray software.
laugh.gif

TS, I will probably buy PowerDVD 9. I have PowerDVD 5.0 for "regular" DVD watching and I've been happy with it.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ace Rimmer
I am also running Home Premium. I bought a LG BD ROM (not writer) drive so I could view movies on the PC. You know if I had spent an extra $10 to buy the retail version of my BD ROM drive it probably would have come with free Blu-Ray software.
laugh.gif

I believe it does.
smile.gif

TS, I will probably buy PowerDVD 9. I have PowerDVD 5.0 for "regular" DVD watching and I've been happy with it.
I hear it works the best out of the current options.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alias
I'd pay monopoly dollars to a moderator to change his avatar from that weird person to a Win98 logo, and lock it so he can't change it back. Then he can be Tokyo Slim's Win98 twin buddy.

laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads