1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Buffalo Mozzarella is the $#!t

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by VKK3450, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Well-Known Member

This is the Caprese Salad, yes?

Yes.

yes. I have a soft spot in my heart for it. I went crazy on some burrata last night. Soo good. Microwaved it for a few seconds so the center was somewhat warm and very creamy and the outside was still cold. I cut it down the center and it dispersed among the tomato and arugula. Delicious.

2. WN2

WN2 Well-Known Member

Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

Is non-extra virgin olive oil actually available somewhere? I can't remember ever seeing it in any shop, including the cheapest ones, and I don't live in a country where good food is generally appreciated as much as it should be..

3. VKK3450

VKK3450 Well-Known Member

Is non-extra virgin olive oil actually available somewhere? I can't remember ever seeing it in any shop, including the cheapest ones, and I don't live in a country where good food is generally appreciated as much as it should be..

I get different variations here. Extra virgin has the lowest smoking point, so I use others to cook with.

K

4. horton

horton Well-Known Member

you can usually tell by color. XVO is green (I would not use it for cooking at all) and "regular" olive oil is yellow. Great for cooking as long as you don't use for ultra hot -- e.g., searing steaks

5. Bouji

Bouji Well-Known Member

VK Where are you buying good Buffalo Mozzarella in London?

6. VKK3450

VK Where are you buying good Buffalo Mozzarella in London?

Well, you kind of have to take it when you run across it. The Italian deli in P. Hill gets some occasionally in which case I snap it up. There is also a cheese shop I run across in Marylebone which gets fresh stuff. I've picked up at Whole Foods in Kensington, but it's not convenient and is absurdly priced.

Waitrose and such carry what they call mozzarella di bufala, but when its packaged like that it strikes me as odd. I guess it is Buffalo milk, but it doesnt seem to have the same creamyness combined with the bite of the rind that I get in the deli / cheese shop.

There is supposed to be a cheese shop in the city that gets it fresh and will deliver in central London. Will have to try it sometime

K

7. Dmax

Dmax Well-Known Member

It's nice too see people who work in finance are able to appreciate Mozzarella di Bufala like some normal folk [​IMG]. Unfortunately in US, it is not readily available outside of metropolises, and even then it tends to be expensive and not easy to find, which is understandable. The real thing from Campana has to be flown in and runs about $10 for 8 ozs. One of the local cheesmongers described the challenges in bringing in this cheese thus: "Couple of days and then it's "squish". Meaning, if he does not sell it quickly, he has to throw it out.

8. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

whats wrong with using extra virgin olive oil for cooking and frying? it's the only oil we use

9. VKK3450

whats wrong with using extra virgin olive oil for cooking and frying? it's the only oil we use

There is nothing wrong with it per say, but it is not suited to all sorts of cooking.

1. It has a lower smoking point than other cooking oils meaning that it is not suited to high temperature cooking.
    2. It has a distinctive flavour which you may not want to impart on some dishes.
    3. It is not cost effective in some cooking. Imagine the cost of deep frying in good extra virgin.

K

10. sho'nuff

sho'nuff Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with it per say, but it is not suited to all sorts of cooking.

1. It has a lower smoking point than other cooking oils meaning that it is not suited to high temperature cooking.
    2. It has a distinctive flavour which you may not want to impart on some dishes.
    3. It is not cost effective in some cooking. Imagine the cost of deep frying in good extra virgin.

K

i see. yeah i knew about number2 and 3. when we need to deep fry we just go get a bottle of canola oil.

i thought there was some health hazard i was unaware of .

thanks!

11. Trilby

Trilby Well-Known Member

Waitrose and such carry what they call mozzarella di bufala, but when its packaged like that it strikes me as odd. I guess it is Buffalo milk, but it doesnt seem to have the same creamyness combined with the bite of the rind that I get in the deli / cheese shop.

There is supposed to be a cheese shop in the city that gets it fresh and will deliver in central London. Will have to try it sometime

The stuff from Waitrose is pretty decent. There are also a couple of extremely good Italian delis in Clerkenwell (the traditional Little Italy in London) - Gazzano's on Farringdon Road near the Guardian offices is excellent.

12. VKK3450

The stuff from Waitrose is pretty decent. There are also a couple of extremely good Italian delis in Clerkenwell (the traditional Little Italy in London) - Gazzano's on Farringdon Road near the Guardian offices is excellent.

I dont know for sure, but I would guess that the issue with the stuff from Waitrose is that it's packaged for some sort of longer shelf life. Usually the buffalo mozz that I see in good delis is to be used immediately.

To me, the packaged stuff that I have gotten is not all that much better than the usual mozzerella ball.

K

13. Bouji

Bouji Well-Known Member

Which is the shop you refer to in Marylebone?

Marylebone and Primrose Hill are very convenient to me, Clerkenwell, not so much.

14. VKK3450

Which is the shop you refer to in Marylebone?

Marylebone and Primrose Hill are very convenient to me, Clerkenwell, not so much.

I cant remember the name, but its on a small side road off of Marylebone High St. If you are walking north from Waitrose, its one of the first few streets on the left. Nice shop with lots of cheeses and other things.

I only see it in the P. Hill Deli occasionally, so I wouldn't count on finding it if you popped in randomly.

K

15. Bouji

Bouji Well-Known Member

I cant remember the name, but its on a small side road off of Marylebone High St. If you are walking north from Waitrose, its one of the first few streets on the left. Nice shop with lots of cheeses and other things.

I only see it in the P. Hill Deli occasionally, so I wouldn't count on finding it if you popped in randomly.

K

Thanks.

16. VKK3450

17. HORNS

HORNS Well-Known Member

Extra Virgin Olive Oil.

You gotta be kidding me - EVOO?
    Last night a buddy of mine was talking about his childhood days and was quoting a friend of his, "Yo man, you P.O. is here to see you!" I asked what the hell "P.O." was and he said "parole officer".

I've been eating a lot of buratta recently. I've only been using ripe tomatoes, olive oil and sea salt. The sweetness and acidity of the tomatoes make the balsamic redundant.