1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Budget suits for men with large drop

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by OJKD, Dec 9, 2012.

1. OJKD

OJKD Active Member

College student, so not as wealthy as I would prefer to be, but still in need of a suit. I already have suits in black, navy and light grey check. None fit very well. They have all been altered to fit, less bad.

However, there is not much to be found in my size. I am close to 5ft11, app. 165 lbs, and with a 10" drop. 41/31. I am sure there is someone else out there with the same "problem". Rather big drop, combined with squat-ass and larger thighs than average Joe.
    Where do you get your suits? Well, clothes in general for that matter, but that is not the topic.

Searched the forum for a couple of clues, and BB and SS seems to be "OK". I already have OK suits. I would like to find something that fits good,

2. Reevolving

Reevolving Well-Known Member

Sell your 3 suits on Ebay.
    Save up for 1 entry-level $500 MTM suit. in navy.

3. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

At 5'11, 165lbs, I doubt that you have "larger thighs than average Joe." Every guy says that, but I digress. Buy an online MTM suit. You can find them starting at about $400, and they'll be better value (IMO) than most retailers that sell in the $400-$800 range.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  4. Frankie22

Frankie22 Well-Known Member

What Vinny said above.
    5'11 165? you are far from unable to buy OTR. 9-10' drop is common these days with younger men.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  5. GentryLtd

GentryLtd Member

I'm going to disagree here with you, but that's okay. I just don't think I can ever feel comfortable purchasing clothing from a website that says "how it works" anywhere on it. The way it should "work" is to find a local clothier that will take the time to become an asset to your professional career. Find the right one and they will know your wardrobe better than even you will. You have to look at your clothing as an investment IMO. Dress like the guy whose job you want rather than dressing like the other guys that have your same position.

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Well-Known Member

Ha, I agree with this.

7. VinnyMac

VinnyMac Well-Known Member

Agreed, but OP probably won't pay for that. Usually, when a guy leads with "I'm a college student," he's making an excuse for not spending much money.

8. OJKD

OJKD Active Member

Not an excuse. I am merely stating a fact. If I some day can afford tailor-made suits without having to eat noodles and live on the street for three months, I might consider it.

Thanks for the advise so far. On the matter of my thigh size; I am rather certain, we are pretty close. Can´t find the measuring tape, so I used a piece of cord. App. 4-5 inches less than my waist, so 26". I would call that bigger than average.

Any hints on online MTM-suits?

9. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

I'd be really leery of online MTM. Stuff like that tends to be aimed at "average" If your measurements are right (I'm assuming tape measure and measured at the right spots) you're at higher then usual risk of a botched job. Look at the various results of the "average" buyers. Enough of those are botched.

Ignore suits for now. Go with odd jackets. Prowl the outlets etc .

10. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Well-Known Member

Post a pic of you wearing your suits you have now

11. OJKD

OJKD Active Member

Here you go. Only the navy one, the two others was purchased a couple of years ago, and dosen´t fit well at all. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. md2010

md2010 Well-Known Member

Not many labels makes drop 10 suit /jackets. Rugby is one of them. I am 37/26 and on the same boat as you. I have few rugby jackets and all of them work well without single alterations. Rugby is closing on 02/02/2013 so you may want to stock up. Other than that ps by paul smith(I know they are the lowest level of paul smith) slim fit jackets have drop 8/9. Don't know if you can get hold of ck calvin klein(grey label) - their suits and jackets are drop 10. And there could be few more diffusion labels may offer 8-10 drops.

13. OJKD

OJKD Active Member

Does this link work? https://www.dropbox.com/sh/su7l8rza41o4r6b/0nTt5Sk10u

If not, I tried to upload the pictures two days ago, but mod haven´t got around to accept or something. Think the pictures are available in my profile.

Might do as Nicola says and just go with odd jackets. Keeping the black suit, not worth anything anyways.

14. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Well-Known Member

Your not a drop 10 your jacket is a size small. Also its too short.

15. OJKD

OJKD Active Member

Right. I better tell my measuring tape to go home. It is obviously drunk.

The jacket is 38S, wouldent a 40R be too big?

16. OJKD

OJKD Active Member

I´ll tell my measuring tape to go home then. It is obviously drunk.

The jacket is 38S, wouldent a 40R be too big? How is it supposed to be?

17. Magnus357

Magnus357 Active Member

I agree it looks like either the jacket is one size too small, or the waist was suppressed just a bit much. It is also a little short, unless that's what you were going for, but I think on guys who aren't especially tall, that's not a good look.

If you're more than a drop 8, which it's looks like you are, you'll need to be looking for slim suits. I'm in a similar boat, but I'm a tall guy. At the very low cost end is Zara. They'll have stuff that fits, but the materials will be non-100% wool, maybe not wool at all, and the jacket will be put together with Elmer's glue. To be honest, 90%+ percent of people won't notice the difference as long at it fits you well, but if you're standing next to guy with a nice suit, it'll show. That's your primary option at an extremely low budget.

If you're looking to step it up, Benjamin Sartorial at eHaberdasher, the house brand, is a good pick. They're about $550, which is equivalent to a JCrew suit in price, but are made with 100% Super 140s wool and are fully canvassed. They are cut slim like the higher end Ralph Lauren Black suits, which are my favorite but tough to get for less than $1000. Another good thing about eHaberdasher is they stock 39/40R and 39/40L, one of which will be exactly what you need. You'll need to compare the length from the bottom of the collar on the suit your wearing to the measurements on the eHaberdasher site, looks like you need about another 1/2" to 1". You may have to nip the waist a bit, but that's a cheap alternation you'll find your self doing on almost any suit at your measurements. I'd eat Ramen for two weeks and upgrade to that.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2012
  18. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Well-Known Member

lol, almost made me spit out my coffee

19. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

:embar:

1 person likes this.