1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Brooks Brothers New Policy

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by RevisIsland, Jul 14, 2011.

1. Achilles_

Achilles_ Well-Known Member

I wore my non-iron shirt yesterday, it feels like I'm wearing cardboard :confused:

I must say though, I really like their regular "original polo" shirts (extra slim fit is still a little big at the waist, but not terrible)

2. NoNothingGuy

NoNothingGuy Well-Known Member

Hahaha. Welcome to the wonderful world of lobbying! The most harmful chemicals are the ones that no one has to disclose. This goes for everything from food to face wash.

3. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Well-Known Member

As an alternative, Eton makes very nice and reliable non-iron shirts. I have a dozen or so of them and they are very solid.

4. Rick's Tailoring

Rick's Tailoring Well-Known Member

I will add I have had 4-5 customers in the last two months complain about their elbows ripping out of BB slim fit shirts, not sure if they were non-iron or standard. At first I just thought they were just rubbing them against their chair or desk, because I generally believe BB is a medium quality place, but after this thread I'm beginning to think differently, at least where these slim fit shirts are concerned. One guy brought one of them in to show me, it was a 4in or so vertical rip. Even with that being a stress point, it seems odd.

5. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

I don't understand how people are ripping their shirts. I have about 12-15 slim fit non-iron dress shirts from about 2.5 years old to several months old and none of them have ripped.

6. herfitup

herfitup Well-Known Member

Well if you sit a at desk all day and type into a computer about the only part of the shirt that gets any wear is the elbows or near the elbows.

I don't buy the no-iron Brooks Brothers shirts but have been happy with the quality of the MUST iron shirts. I get more wear out of the Tommy Hilfiger Ithaca white shirts that I buy than what people are reporting from Brooks Brothers no-iron. (I know waiting for the flames but the Hilfiger fits good and wears good in white).

7. Texasmade

Texasmade Well-Known Member

I do sit at a desk all day and type on a computer. I must just have better luck with their shirts than others.

8. plei89

plei89 Well-Known Member

Ditto..

9. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Well-Known Member

Traditionally, the dress shirt worn by the median poster in this thread would be short-sleeved.

There's a whnay. thread on elbow patches somewhere on StyFo that might address this dire subject head on.

10. Testoni

Testoni New Member

Chiming in (instead of starting a new tread) as I've been wearing Brooks Brothers non-iron shirts the past 5 years ... and within the last 8 months, 5 have ripped at the elbows. Maybe more. They replaced 3 no questions asked (it was at different intervals), and I received the same answer as the OP on the 3rd one - not going to happen again. I even went up slightly in arm length, to accommodate their assertion that the sleeves were too short - and yesterday that shirt ripped as well. It was worn less than 10 times.

Overall, I am pretty disappointed in Brooks Brothers quality as of late - they are my 'go-to' for off the rack shirts and suits, and I enjoy the customer service. However, I am starting to question the quality of their items. I have several suits that are in my 9-5 rotation from Brooks, and will be looking to buy another 2 over the Holidays ... however my experiences with their shirts is making me question whether they've also reduced the quality of materials and workmanship on their suits as well.

11. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Well-Known Member

Non born fabric is an inferior fabric to must iron so all this isn't new