1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by tonio028, Sep 22, 2009.

1. brimley

brimley Well-Known Member

+1 on the ESF *sport* shirts being equivalent to J Crew.

Will try the ESF dress shirts at some point but given that I already go with MTM for those...

2. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Well-Known Member

I don't understand why these are getting that much attention since J. Crew seems to already be doing a $70 shirt made in China that is not that slim. The shirts are not extra slim, in fact the medium I have on fits similar to some J Crew button ups. The cloth is nicer and the buttons are sewed on a little better, but J. Crew has them beat in patterns. They are Ok, just nothing special. The made in U.S.A. oxfords are a different story, they do fit slim and have much nicer quality overral. I may purchase another but for a $70 button-up I may look to J. Crew rather than BB.

Because you'll never find a dress shirt at J. Crew that comes close to the fit and quality of a BB ESF.

3. tonio028

tonio028 Well-Known Member

Because you'll never find a dress shirt at J. Crew that comes close to the fit and quality of a BB ESF.

This and don't forget the collar stand and sleeve widths are far better than anything J. Crew has to offer right now. J.Crew can't seem to figure out that slim includes sleeve widths and higher armholes and the small collars on J. Crew bother me. I need to size down in JC to get close to the fit of any of the BB ESF shirts in my true size and even then the waist is too snug and the sleeves are still desiged to fit only the incredible hulk.

I can't wait for the ESF collection to get more and more diverse. I am waiting for a coupon and some promotions to treat myself to the gingham dress shirts and the flannel sports shirts.

4. baba booey

baba booey Well-Known Member

This and don't forget the collar stand and sleeve widths are far better than anything J. Crew has to offer right now. J.Crew can't seem to figure out that slim includes sleeve widths and higher armholes and the small collars on J. Crew bother me. I need to size down in JC to get close to the fit of any of the BB ESF shirts in my true size and even then the waist is too snug and the sleeves are still desiged to fit only the incredible hulk.

I can't wait for the ESF collection to get more and more diverse. I am waiting for a coupon and some promotions to treat myself to the gingham dress shirts and the flannel sports shirts.

Dress shirts are a different story, the sport shirts are blah. The sport shirts are not superior to a J Crew. The cloth and construction might be a little better, but the BB patterns are not great.

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

Anybody ever washed theirs and tossed them in the dryer? Im a 16/34 in most shirts, but thinking maybe I should get A 16.5/35 and that way I can just toss em in the dryer instead of hanging to dry.

I'd go with the 34. In my limited experience, the extra slim fits run really long in the sleeve -- I'm wearing one today, and even after several launderings the sleeves are probably a good inch longer than other shirts with the same (tagged) sleeve length. It's not just a brand issue, because the sleeves on the extra slim fits run noticeably longer than the sleeves on BB slim fits of the same tagged size.

6. butterflystyle

butterflystyle Well-Known Member

Any idea what the sleeve lengths of their casual ESF shirts are? They arent listed on the website.

7. dijon

dijon Well-Known Member

^ Brooks' extra slims shit on J Crew with respect to quality. Not to mention you can buy a shirt that's tailored to your neck/sleeve measurements.

Non-iron extra-slim is supposed to come Fall 2011 according to a conversation I had with a Brooks rep a few months ago.

2011? you sure it isn't this Fall 2010?

8. tonio028

tonio028 Well-Known Member

Dress shirts are a different story, the sport shirts are blah. The sport shirts are not superior to a J Crew. The cloth and construction might be a little better, but the BB patterns are not great.

I don't find anything special about the J.crew pattern offerings (other than maybe a few of the madras shirts) either though those are certainly blah to me as well. The oxford cloth of the BB oxford sportshirts are definitely beefier than the flimsy feeling JC oxfords. I mean I liked the JC sunwashed oxford colors, but could never get myself to pull the trigger b.c they didn't feel very substantial.

I won't argue that the BB sports shirts need more diversity though, but the ESF has only been around for like a season so I'm hoping they'll catch up.

9. notwithit

notwithit Well-Known Member

Tried a dress shirt on this weekend. They measured my neck at 15", but the shirt was a little baggy in the waist and pulled at the chest. Disappointing, but not surprising that these don't fit OTR. I might get my full measurements taken soon and order from Cotton Works (or whatever the new affiliate is that does MTM shirts for something like $59).

10. Icarium

Icarium Well-Known Member

I ordered some of these and just got them in today. I am about 5'10-11", with 17.5" shoulder, 37" chest, 30" waist, 140 lb. Pretty skinny - it runs in the family. I ordered size 15/34, which is my standard shirt size. The ESF fit very well in the arms, shoulders and chest, while having a little more material than I like around the waist. Considering I got multiple discounts, the quality is excellent for the price on the supima cotton versions. Far and away better than anything you'd see at BR, JCrew, etc etc. My one gripe is the sleeve length. I need to see how they shrink, but right now it is looking a little crazy. My MTM shirts measure, after many washes, ~9" (center neck to shoulder seam) + 25" (sleeve) = 34". The BB ESF measure, after one wash, ~9" (center neck to shoulder seam) + 27.5" (sleeve) = 36.5"! I imagine that the sleeves will lose an inch, maybe an inch and a half over the next 6-7 washes. But good lord Brooks Brothers... why label it 34" if it is nowhere close to 34"? I don't think I've ever encountered that before in a shirt. I guess I can get them tailored if/when I get darts added to the back, but it is fairly irritating. I wish I could take them back for 15/33, but probably too late for that due to washing them already. [​IMG]

11. skitlets

skitlets Well-Known Member

Yeah, the shirts run about an inch longer in the sleeve. The overall fit of the dress shirts appear, to me at least, to be for genuinely slim people with a straight silhouette. The shoulders and chest are narrow and the waist has a bit of extra material. I'm not very athletic but for me, that means a 15/32 is a bit small in the shoulder and too wide in the waist.

12. relax99

relax99 Well-Known Member

You can still exchange them after washing, just call them up and tell them that they shrunk in the wash and you need a different size. I have done this before

13. Icarium

Icarium Well-Known Member

Good.

Wanted to update. Upon further reflection, I'm not sure this fit works for me. Despite being skinny as hell, my chest and shoulders are decently athletic. The body of the shirt is cut like a tube, or cylinder. Unfortunately, that ends up making it a little too small in the chest and too big at the waist.

I may have to stick with slim fit and just continue getting them tailored like I usually do.

14. capa

capa Well-Known Member

If I wear a size small in J. Crew shirts what size should I get in the ESF Brooks Brothers shirts. J. Crew smalls can sometimes be a bit too tight but a medium in J. Crew would be way too large.

Thanks.

15. avery

avery Well-Known Member

16. planetofsound

planetofsound Well-Known Member

I tried on some of the new ESF sport shirts in small, and I think they're definitely tighter in the chest than a J. Crew small. If a J. Crew small is a little tight, you may need a medium in the Brooks ESF. I'd definitely recommend trying them on if you can.

17. RFX45

RFX45 Well-Known Member

BB's F&F sale starts today (25% off) and it stacks with the 3 for $199 deal. Some of the sport shirts is also now included with this dale. Use the code: 03friend. The new garment dyed oxfords would have been nice with all their color selection but that chest logo kills it for me. http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...=&sectionsize=

18. Ideefixee

Ideefixee Well-Known Member

Just bought 2 of the ESF sport shirts with the 25% off. Pretty excited to see how slim they are, since I have a fairly slim body and shirts do not fit me... ever.

I will post pics if I can when they arrive.

19. dmass1

dmass1 Well-Known Member

How long is this sale? Is it in stores or only online?

20. Ideefixee

Ideefixee Well-Known Member

How long is this sale? Is it in stores or only online?

I believe it is through the 29th of September. And it definitely works online. Dunno about in-store.