• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit Shirts

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
Thanks... gotta wonder if the 14.5 would be any different though.

Shoulder is 16.75" on the white oxfords.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Captain Winky
Are you so opposed to the pocket that you wouldn't just buy the dress shirt? Or do you already own the sport shirt?

I am. If it was tonal I wouldn't mind it as much. Every time I see it, I want to swat at it like its a fly. Not a fan.

thomasec

Reaction score
Are you so opposed to the pocket that you wouldn't just buy the dress shirt? Or do you already own the sport shirt?

Well, I really liked the lavender one, so I picked it up as one of my 3 for $199. Just wondering if it's possible to get it removed.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thomasec
Well, I really liked the lavender one, so I picked it up as one of my 3 for $199. Just wondering if it's possible to get it removed.

Much more difficult things are still "possible," thought I highly doubt the shirt would ever look right. You could always wait and see if they bring out a lavender dress shirt, I suppose.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
Shoulder is 16.75" on the white oxfords.

Nice! It's really hard to find shirts with a shoulder less than 17", even in a 14.5 neck.

Am I the only one who thinks the shoulders on dress shirts are almost uniformly too wide across the entire industry?

Express seems to have figured this out, but while their fit is great, their quality is poor and I don't care for their collars. I'm a spread/cutaway/"windsor" man.

BossTweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by StanleyVanBuren
Am I the only one who thinks the shoulders on dress shirts are almost uniformly too wide across the entire industry?
Well, this is true for most mall brand dress shirts, but I would say quite the opposite for more casual wear. J. Crew shirts, for instance, are far to small in the shoulders when I size down to get a slim fit in the chest. Gant, Hickey, Shipley&Halmos all have this problem. I've since turned to CEGO for my dress shirts, because the only thing that fits well OTR is RLBL, which is a little pricey.

tonio028

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BossTweed
Well, this is true for most mall brand dress shirts, but I would say quite the opposite for more casual wear. J. Crew shirts, for instance, are far to small in the shoulders when I size down to get a slim fit in the chest. Gant, Hickey, Shipley&Halmos all have this problem. I've since turned to CEGO for my dress shirts, because the only thing that fits well OTR is RLBL, which is a little pricey.

That's a not a good tool to judge being that you sized down to fit the chest then is it? It all depends on your proportions obviously and some brands will work better than other, one just has to branch out and try if possible. The higher end, tailored shirts, though should typically get you closer to a "best" fit if you ask me aside from MTM. Keep in mind the look and appeal of the brand too though as that typically plays a part in why certain brands cut shirts in the manner they do (not referring to mall brands for this obviously).

Gitman and Epaulet shirts seem to work very well for me all around for my proportions so those shirts make up most of my closet because of it.

BossTweed

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tonio028
That's a not a good tool to judge being that you sized down to fit the chest then is it?
Well, when you say the shoulders are too large, you have to be speaking relative to something. In the case of casual shirts, I'm not too concerned about the neck fitting just right, so I look for something that fits me in the chest and shoulders. I suppose if you're speaking relative to the neck circumference, it's a different story.

On another note, I think we must have similar proportions, because I've found the fit of Epaulet shirts to be just perfect. I would also say gitman, but I find their deep armholes make it seem like I have webbing in my armpit, and I can't fully move.

Captain Winky

Reaction score

RLBL are my favorite shirts as well OTR. I find the BBES fit similarly, but a little slimmer in the chest.

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, when you say the shoulders are too large, you have to be speaking relative to something. In the case of casual shirts, I'm not too concerned about the neck fitting just right, so I look for something that fits me in the chest and shoulders. I suppose if you're speaking relative to the neck circumference, it's a different story.

On another note, I think we must have similar proportions, because I've found the fit of Epaulet shirts to be just perfect. I would also say gitman, but I find their deep armholes make it seem like I have webbing in my armpit, and I can't fully move.

I much prefer these shirts over the Gitman shirts, especially with Gitman's inconsistent sizing issues

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RLBL are my favorite shirts as well OTR. I find the BBES fit similarly, but a little slimmer in the chest.

Really? I though RLBL were as slim as BoO?

Jakesteraholic

Reaction score
sale right now, $60 off an order of $300, if anyone else is thinking about pulling the trigger on these.

does anyone know which white dress shirt is the least see-through?

BossTweed

Reaction score
Everything I've heard about these extra-slims is perfect; I just have to get over the enormous and misplaced chest pocket.

Captain Winky

Reaction score
Any shrinkage in the sleeves? The 34 length is perfect out of the package, but I want to make sure I won't have a problem when they're washed. I almost always send them out to a laundry rather than washing myself (though I may do this on the button downs as I want them to look a little more wrinkled.

ahjota

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Everything I've heard about these extra-slims is perfect; I just have to get over the enormous and misplaced chest pocket.

Wear under a cardigan or jacket. Problem solved.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads