1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Brooks Brothers Extra Slim Fit has Arrived

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by atct86, Jul 30, 2009.

1. mafoofan

mafoofan Well-Known Member

It's purely preference I suppose. It's certainly not any less difficult to look like a proper d-bag.

Though, dissimilar cuffs and collars strikes me as unfinished. That's not to say that simply matching the two instantly makes a shirt of quality or relatively better. It depends on the color and print. Sometimes it simply ends up a right mess, whereas it'd be a perfectly suitable shirt if all the bits were the same.

Just a thought. Not sure if anyone else is as particular about such details with respect to shirts as I am.

Hmm. I'm pretty sure you have it backwards. I was under the impression that the correct way to do a shirt with a contrasting white collar was to leave the cuffs the same as the rest of the shirt. Good European shirtmakers do it this way. In fact, haven't shirts with contrasting cuffs in addition to a contrasting collar become the emblem of tasteles American middle management? That Brooks Brothers would go against the populous trend to do something properly is actually very refreshing to me.

Prince Charles, on his wedding day:

[​IMG]

2. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

Hmm. I'm pretty sure you have it backwards. I was under the impression that the correct way to do a shirt with a contrasting white collar was to leave the cuffs the same as the rest of the shirt. Good European shirtmakers do it this way. In fact, haven't shirts with contrasting cuffs in addition to a contrasting collar become the emblem of tasteles American middle management? That Brooks Brothers would go against the populous trend to do something properly is actually very refreshing to me.

Prince Charles, on his wedding day:

[​IMG]

I've had both contrast collar only and contrast collar and cuffs. I prefer contrast collar only.

Wes, on his:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. GQ1

GQ1 Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for my shipment of the extra slim fit shirts. I'll post my review once I get them.

4. amplifiedheat

amplifiedheat Well-Known Member

I think they just renamed all their fits to accomodate very fat fit with nice names like traditional fits.

Wrong. Fuller is indeed more traditional. The first RTW shirts came in three neck sizes. There was no hint of shape. If the sleeves were too long (and they were) one used arm bands.

Indeed, even custom shirts from the golden age were luxuriously full:
    http://www.thenewartgallerywalsall.o...940-243813.jpg

Now, a shirt that fits is a fine thing. On the other hand, there seems to be an obsession in these parts with darting everything to within an inch of its life.

5. furo

furo Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for my shipment of the extra slim fit shirts. I'll post my review once I get them.

Didn't you just post in a different thread that you were waiting for them to go on sale?

6. GQ1

GQ1 Well-Known Member

Didn't you just post in a different thread that you were waiting for them to go on sale?

I bought 2 off eBay but yeah, I'm waiting for them to go on sale at Brooks Brothers Store. Thanks.

7. moosy

moosy Well-Known Member

Wrong. Fuller is indeed more traditional. The first RTW shirts came in three neck sizes. There was no hint of shape. If the sleeves were too long (and they were) one used arm bands. Indeed, even custom shirts from the golden age were luxuriously full: http://www.thenewartgallerywalsall.o...940-243813.jpg Now, a shirt that fits is a fine thing. On the other hand, there seems to be an obsession in these parts with darting everything to within an inch of its life.
    That may be true historically but does not change the fact that in the past year they rearranged the names of their fits. The extra slim fit, fits slightly fuller but similar to their former Slim fit and so on, it is called marketing.

8. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Well-Known Member

Why are they not making solids?

I don't know; it's incredibly annoying. I have one of the XSF shirts in their striped pattern, and the fit and construction are great. They need to roll out more staple colors already. I would literally buy 10 solid white shirts right this second if they had them.

+1. I don't know if the stores have solids. But if they do, I'm in for 3 as soon as I can get down there.

Extra Slim solid and university striped OCBD now available: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatS...color=&sortby=

9. furo

furo Well-Known Member

10. StephenHero

StephenHero Well-Known Member

Just ordered a white oxford. I'm hoping it works.

11. StephenHero

Finally got these damn things, but they are really nice. Slimmer than Gitman Vintage by a tad, but a higher quality fabric from my estimation.

12. raphaelargus

raphaelargus Well-Known Member

I have a 15.5" neck and typically wear a BB slim fit in 15/33 for those work shirts that I know I won't wear with a tie. 15.5/33 slim fit is quite blousy on me and I get the sides and sleeves taken in for shirts I wear with a tie. (For reference, I am 5'9"-5'10"ish and ~160 lbs.)

I tried on a 15.5/33 extra slim fit at a BB retail store the other day and it is very snug through the chest and sleeves. Noticeably tighter through the sleeves and chest than the sleeves/chest of a 15/33 slim fit. I don't think I'd even be able to fit in a 15/33 extra slim fit.

This shirt really is definitely for SLIM people, rather than athletic men (especially ones who are top-heavy). Contrary to what someone said earlier, this shirt is most definitely NOT a fuller cut than their "old" slim fit.

Also, I've been buying their slim fit shirts for probably 2 years at least and I've noticed no cut changes to their slim fit at all in that time.

13. StephenHero

I wouldn't say this shirt is not for athletic people. I ordered 16/35 and it fits well for a 40-41 chest and could even use another inch taper in the waist for a 32" inch person. It seems made for a 7" drop but I think an 8" drop and over is considered an athletic bodytype my most estimations. And the sleeves are every bit their length. I don't know how much it will shrink but I guesstimated a 35.5" length from collar base to cuff.

14. JPYPSU07

JPYPSU07 Well-Known Member

I tried these on in Philly this weekend and thought the fit was perfect for my body type. It is much slimmer than the slim fit. I wear a 15.5/34 and the sleeves of a Black Fleece 2 were two short and I thought this also had a slimmer body as well. It is also slimmer than Banana Republic slim fit but not as slim as H&M. I ordered 3 to try them out.

15. JPYPSU07

JPYPSU07 Well-Known Member

Just got my order of Button Downs that I placed saturday morning, the fit is perfect for me. Also got an invitation to the spring collection event, does anyone know what this is?

16. StephenHero

Heads up: 2 for $99 right now during a two day sale.

17. PrinceJericho

PrinceJericho New Member

18. PrinceJericho

PrinceJericho New Member

Really good deal. Esp if you have the corporate membership.

19. Trompe le Monde

Trompe le Monde Well-Known Member

Really good deal. Esp if you have the corporate membership.

only applies to normal priced item

20. steezy

steezy Well-Known Member

I was speaking to a BB employee during the semi-annual sale, and he said each dress shirt will come in all fits (traditional, regular, slim, and extra-slim fit). That means more selection for extra-slim fit as I have found the selection to be lacking.