1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Brooks Brothers christmas sale

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by forex, Nov 21, 2008.

1. forex

forex Well-Known Member

nothing at all inside the jacket. the retail price on the jacket was 1000 i believe, so around the range of the normal suits. maybe they were extras that just got sent to the outlet before the labels got put on? the suits did feel very nice, much better than their outlet line.

Anyways,I wouldn't buy 1818 line suits,they are no good piece of shit suits.You could get BB GF suits for $250,which are better.

2. Icarium

Icarium Well-Known Member

Anyways,I wouldn't buy 1818 line suits,they are no good piece of shit suits.You could get BB GF suits for $250,which are better.

Wow, constructive comments. I have heard otherwise from many people. This is not to mention that the GF don't fit a slim guy correctly without massive alterations.

3. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Well-Known Member

Where do you get a GF for $250?

4. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Well-Known Member

the usual places, i imagine. Ebay, outlet stores on sale, etc.

5. grimslade

grimslade Well-Known Member

Whatever you pay up front, she'll cost a lot more in the long run.

6. porcelain monkey

the usual places, i imagine. Ebay, outlet stores on sale, etc.

I guess I get that, but people are always throwing these things out on this forum like every fabric, size, style, etc. are consistently available at steep discounts. I can occasionally find nice things cheaply, but If I always held out I would have very few clothes that I did not feel like I settled for because they were so cheap, and not because they were what I wanted in the first place.

7. Icarium

If I always held out I would have very few clothes that I did not feel like I settled for because they were so cheap, and not because they were what I wanted in the first place.

QFT.

8. harrycaul

harrycaul Member

^ Agreed (I think; did you mean to write that you would have very few clothes that you DID feel like settled for because they were cheap?) I picked up a Greenfield GF at Newbury St. for $850 at the 15% sale but it was a navy 42L. Not likely to see that for $250 NWT but I suppose it's possible. Incidentally, they also had the Italian GF at ~$900 from $2400. Good-looking suits but a different cut altogether, slimmer, so not all GF can be lumped together with regards to fit. The Greenfield fit me fine at 6'4" 200 lb, just needed taking in the waist and sleeves , but I like the conservative cut over the Regent and Fitzgerald.

9. Icarium

I guess the GF they had at the La Jolla store just weren't cut for somebody like me (5'10", 140 lb). I haven't managed to find one that fits me well.

I do agree with monkey in that, if we waited around for stuff to be 60-70% off for our entire wardrobes, we wouldn't have much clothing. I hardly ever pay retail, but going for steep discounts, especially when you have a hard-to-find size, etc. can be EXTREMELY frustrating.

10. rezzor

rezzor Well-Known Member

I guess the GF they had at the La Jolla store just weren't cut for somebody like me (5'10", 140 lb). I haven't managed to find one that fits me well. I do agree with monkey in that, if we waited around for stuff to be 60-70% off for our entire wardrobes, we wouldn't have much clothing. I hardly ever pay retail, but going for steep discounts, especially when you have a hard-to-find size, etc. can be EXTREMELY frustrating.
    I'm the same dimensions as you and curious which sizes you tried on? I was thinking about ordering a 36R while their still in stock but not too sure how it will fit.

11. NH_Clark

NH_Clark Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a NWT Golden Fleece blue or gray pinstripe in 52L for $250.

12. cchen

cchen Well-Known Member

I've seen GF suits at the BB outlets in Leesburg, VA and at Woodbury Commons. All were around $599 I believe, with additional discounts depending on the store.

13. forex

forex Well-Known Member

I bought two made in Italy GF suits,Regent cut.They are slimmer than made in US ones,I can compare.They ran me into around $325-350,but they retailed for $2400.
    GF suits that are made in the US are Madison cut and much boxier but I think they can be found for around $250-300 at outlets.

14. Icarium

I wish I could be more help, but I tried on so much stuff at different stores on the 26th, I barely remember half of it. I know I tried on a size zero in the numbered ones, and then 38R and 36R as they could be found. The problem I had at BB was the fit through the torso. 36R tends to fit me through the shoulders and sometimes chest for BB stuff, but only certain cuts like the 1818 Fitz fit without need for lots of alterations. Even that one I would prefer a little bit of waist suppression to give me shape.

15. porcelain monkey

^ Agreed (I think; did you mean to write that you would have very few clothes that you DID feel like settled for because they were cheap?) I picked up a Greenfield GF at Newbury St. for $850 at the 15% sale but it was a navy 42L. Not likely to see that for $250 NWT but I suppose it's possible. Incidentally, they also had the Italian GF at ~$900 from $2400. Good-looking suits but a different cut altogether, slimmer, so not all GF can be lumped together with regards to fit. The Greenfield fit me fine at 6'4" 200 lb, just needed taking in the waist and sleeves , but I like the conservative cut over the Regent and Fitzgerald.

I think I said it like I wanted to even if it was a double-negative of sorts. If I held out for bargains, I doubt I would find a lot in my size (42L like you) that I liked the color, cut, etc. and would feel like I settled for things I did not love. As it is now, I can sometimes find great things at good discounts (though rarely 70 - 80% off like many around here); but I will buy things I really like or feel I need at full retail (rarely) or 15-25% off (much more often). As it stands I have very few clothes where I feel I settled for something I did not really like just because it was cheap - although there are a few in the back of my closet.

16. Spatlese

Spatlese Well-Known Member

Looks like the BF shirts now have a back order date of end of January (was originally mid-January when I ordered them just after Christmas). No real rush for me, but I obviously hope to get them sooner rather than later.

17. forex

forex Well-Known Member

Orders pushed back to mid february,this is ridiculous. I have 6 more shirts and a pair of cordovan wings on backorder. I have a feeling that I will not get them at all.

18. Spatlese

Orders pushed back to mid february,this is ridiculous. I have 6 more shirts and a pair of cordovan wings on backorder. I have a feeling that I will not get them at all.

Just noticed that too. I think everything has the same generic backorder date. I don't believe they charge until the order is shipped (I could be completely off, haven't looked at my cc statement from last month), but I may cancel.

19. forex

forex Well-Known Member

Just noticed that too. I think everything has the same generic backorder date. I don't believe they charge until the order is shipped (I could be completely off, haven't looked at my cc statement from last month), but I may cancel.

No,they don't charge but i want the shirts.I got them on sale and they were like $63 for BF OCBDs,hard to beat the price.I am not in rush,I just hope that orders won't get canceled.

20. Spatlese

No,they don't charge but i want the shirts.I got them on sale and they were like $63 for BF OCBDs,hard to beat the price.I am not in rush,I just hope that orders won't get canceled.

Agree, I'm in for three myself @ the $63. Ah hell, I'll just a while longer to see if it gets pushed back even further.