1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Broks Brothers 2 button

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by smartie_addict, Nov 17, 2004.

1. smartie_addict

smartie_addict Active Member

I have recently aquired a 2-button Brooks Brothers suit which is a two button but the lapel rolls down over the top buton, much like on some 3-buton suits, leaving the button hidden. how should his jacket be buttoned? is it not meant to be? Surely you're not supposed to button the bottom button.

2. j

j Well-Known Member

Just the top one.

3. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

j,

I really liked your old avatar.

4. j

j Well-Known Member

Sorry, you can go visit it in this thread. I get bored rather quickly, but it will probably be back someday.

5. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

Button the middle of the three. Leave the top button hidden beneath the lapel. And never button the bottom button. This lapel roll is standard Brooks Brothers.

6. encooper

encooper Member

This jacket is known as the 3-button sack. The top button is never fastened.

Compare this what Brooks Brothers calls the "3-button Classic" which does not have the top button roll over and which the top and middle button can be fastened.

7. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

john, enc, the suit he has is a two-button, not a three-button... I am quite baffled, myself. I think you should just button the top button (as you probably have been). I am interested to see what one would look like. I am sure it is not that uncommon amongst the more knowledged forum members, but I am curious what it is called, its history, its function etc. etc.... Manton? [​IMG])

8. encooper

encooper Member

Brian,

Thanks for the correction. I did not read the original post correctly. It sounds like the lapels may have been pressed out of their original correct position. The top button a BB 2-button should never be rolled over.

9. j

j Well-Known Member

I'm sure the lapel is just out of shape or never had much shape to begin with. I don't think anyone in his right mind would design a suit with just the bottom button (of 2) functional, least of all a conservative outfit like BB.

10. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

True: re. lapel.

But Brooks has been doing some very "unconservative" things of late.

11. bestmastertailor

bestmastertailor Well-Known Member

The collar is attached too short, which makes the lapel roll farther down that it was intended. If it was a used suit, the colllar was probably shortened for the previous client, if it is new, take it back and exchange it.

12. johnw86

johnw86 Well-Known Member

Sorry I misread the original post. Good catch, Brian. [​IMG]