• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Broke my effing toe...

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

How long we looking at for recovery? Happened on Sunday morning. Big toe broken, nail come off, black and bruised.

Tried jamming my foot into a shoe today. Result not good.

Currently wearing adidas three stripe from the late 90s (I believe they're gemmed).

Taxler

Reaction score
Broken bones need to be properly set and allowed to heal without stress; not really possible if you just put on a shoe and start walking. If you ignore it, it may never heal correctly. More likely, your toe isn't broken, it just hurts.

Doesn't the UK health system pay for x-rays/treatment for this kind of thing?

Biggen

Reaction score
I hurt my big toe recently, not sure if I broke it or just badly bruised it but part of the toenail turned black. Looked it up on the internet and said it should take about two weeks. Was almost perfectly fine after that period. Also said you didn't have to go to the hospital as longas the toe wasn't bent and that you could walk with it.

drum

Reaction score
^I'm pretty sure fractures don't heal in two weeks, so yours was probably just bruised.

OP, if your toe is broken, or you suspect it's broken definitely get it checked out at the hospital, the NHS pays for it anyway. If they don't set it back properly it'll eventually heal the wrong way + you'll be in pain the whole time, and they'll have to break it again to fix it.

Biggen

Reaction score
Broken toe

General
If you accidentally hit the foot of anything hard, or if you drop something heavy on it, you can get a crack or you can bone in the toe broken. A broken toe usually heals by itself and you can try to go as usual in the meantime, even if it may hurt.

Broken toes are almost never require any treatment and therefore you do not see a doctor if your toe hurts, or becomes swollen and blue from an injury.

It may have hurt about two weeks before the toe is healed, but the swelling may remain for a longer time. You can go and charged to toe, as usual, as this does not aggravate the injury.

Symptoms
A broken toe can be painful, swollen and become blue.

Treatment
A broken toe does not need special treatment. However, you may need to take prescription pain pills if you are in pain.

The first few days can toe ache even when you are resting. When you sit, it is good to have the foot placed higher, for example, on a chair, to reduce the swelling and thus pain.

Sometimes it hurts when you walk. You should use the spacious shoes or sandals, preferably with hard soles. Anyone who goes very much in their work, may need to be sick a few days.

When to seek medical care?
Most people who break a toe, do not seek care, but if you have a lot of pain or if the toe pointing in the wrong direction, you should contact a health center.

You can always call the Health Care Information Service for advice.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry I should have said:

Went to the hospital and had an x-ray. It's a tiny fracture near the join.

Doc told me I could still go to work and didn't suggest crutches. Was a bit vague about how long it would take to heal hence the post.

Got to go back to the fracture clinic on Monday. They can't set a toe as far as I know - not much you can do about a big toe from what I gather...

LawrenceMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon
Sorry I should have said: Went to the hospital and had an x-ray. It's a tiny fracture near the join. Doc told me I could still go to work and didn't suggest crutches. Was a bit vague about how long it would take to heal hence the post. Got to go back to the fracture clinic on Monday. They can't set a toe as far as I know - not much you can do about a big toe from what I gather...
since its a tiny fracture then its about how well you deal with pain then. how did it happen? you might be tempted to stay off the foot, but since its a tiny fracture, and if you can deal with the pain, I bet the ortho/PT/OT/ect will suggest you actually start moving on the foot immediately. that way you preempt any loss of flexibility. it will hurt like a ***** though (unless you get some great painkillers). the NHS guys usually take a almost [osteopathic] whole picture approach (rightly so) with little foot injuries like that. Example: if you lose flexibility in the toe then it will affect you knee, then hip, onto asymmetry in gait then shoulder and neck problems.

jpb

Reaction score
I have fractured toes 4 times, 3 times while learning various kinds of somersault and once by missing the trampoline. I'd try to avoid walking and wearing shoes as much as possible for a few days, After that you should be fine. I went to the doctor the first couple of times but they just said to rest the foot. Unless your toe is sticking out at some weird angle I doubt you need treatment.

MalfordOfLondon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LawrenceMD
since its a tiny fracture then its about how well you deal with pain then. how did it happen? you might be tempted to stay off the foot, but since its a tiny fracture, and if you can deal with the pain, I bet the ortho/PT/OT/ect will suggest you actually start moving on the foot immediately. that way you preempt any loss of flexibility. it will hurt like a ***** though (unless you get some great painkillers). the NHS guys usually take a almost [osteopathic] whole picture approach (rightly so) with little foot injuries like that. Example: if you lose flexibility in the toe then it will affect you knee, then hip, onto asymmetry in gait then shoulder and neck problems.
The pain is unreal but I've got some mental tablets (Diclofenac something or other). Fracture was tiny. I stubbed my toe this morning when getting ready and collapsed in a heap... Good advice though - will try and keep it moving to a certain extent...

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by MalfordOfLondon
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif
ffffuuuu.gif

How long we looking at for recovery? Happened on Sunday morning. Big toe broken, nail come off, black and bruised.

Tried jamming my foot into a shoe today. Result not good.

Currently wearing adidas three stripe from the late 90s (I believe they're gemmed).

holy ****, i wish you a speedy recovery, jamming your toe against the leg of a chair is one of the most painful things ever, i cant imagine how breaking it feels!!!

CHECKstar

Reaction score
I broke my big toe a few years back - came down the stairs in the dark and missed the last step! Doctor took an X-ray, and like you had a fracture around the joint. She kinda shrugged her shoulders when I asked what I could do. In short they just left it. Could barely walk for the first couple of days but it does get better.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
them are some ugly feet

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
You are a disgusting human being. Thank you for making me lose my lunch. You might provide some warning next time, via the very easy to use
function, you wretched scum.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads