1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

British messenger bag

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kolecho, Mar 5, 2005.

1. kolecho

kolecho Well-Known Member

I am interested in this design from Swaine Adeney Brigg. Â D&H also makes a similar one. Â Schlesinger makes something like this but not quite the same IMHO. Â Does anyone know of any American companies that make this design? [​IMG]

2. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

Lost all my bookmarks, but Hartmann had something similar.

I'd like to see the Daines & H in person, I like it and I like the Pickett.
    Both expensive, but may be worth it, since you won't need another.

I have on liek the Atlas, and its lasts, but I'd like to find another more slim.

Custom hides has one called 1945 US Army case -- but I've asked them about some details and didn't like what I heard -- they appear a little ignorant of some of the details. Or perhap sit was a language problem.

3. kolecho

I checked Hartmann and Custom Hide. Hartmann don't make anything in that design now. Custom Hide has several similar designs, but I wonder about their quality. Anyone has experience with Custom Hide?

4. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Well-Known Member

kolecho

I think that Filson's field satchel is pretty close.

Bic

5. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

'Bic: forgot about Filson -- they may indeed be the best bet -- but still not quite -- a bit too big perhaps and bulky. Kind of like Alden v. Ed Green. (Though I happen to be a fan of the big, bulky substantial look when it comes to shoes and sometimes, cases.

6. Bic Pentameter

It isn't clear to me why kolecho wants one from an American company.  If the issue is price, Filson's satchel goes for around $600 today.  As far as I know, they are still made in America.  (If you visit their retail shop in Seattle, you can look onto the factory floor.)

I have the field satchel, and it has softened up quite a bit.  The leather may be softer and more supple than the Swaine Adeney Brigg cases I have seen at my local department store.  I think Filson leather comes in only one color though.

Bic

7. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

I don't know either, but I would suspect it has something to do with the brutal exchange rate.

I very much want one of those bags myself.

8. nightowl6261a

nightowl6261a Well-Known Member

9. tgfny

tgfny Well-Known Member

10. kolecho

Thanks for your response, Bic. I'd like to get something that is of decent value and quality that will last me a long time to come. How would you compare your Filson satchel to say D&H or SAB in terms of quality of leather and construction?

11. kolecho

The Filson satchel is just an 1/2 inch higher than the SAB and D&H versions. The width and thickness are similar. If I could get a D&H off-the-shelf (apparently Classicluggage has no existing stock), I would rather go for a D&H as it is not that much dearer than Filson. SAB is another story altogether [​IMG] 9

12. Bic Pentameter

kolecho:

Unfortunately, I have only seen D&H and SAB in stores, and because there has always been a pesky sales clerk around, so I haven't been able to examine either too closely.

Filson's satchel isn't lined, and it has a primitive leather pocket inside the bag so it has an unfinished look to it. (I would guess that D&H and SAB might be lined in cloth or pigskin.)

The Filson leather is 3 mm thick. I imagine will last forever. I bought my Filson in 1993, and although it sat in my closet for 5 years, I've used it daily since 2000. Because I carry it with the shoulder strap, and occasionally tuck my laptop into it, the stitching on the leather that affixes the D-rings to the bag has come undone twice. Filson has stitched it right up for me free of charge.

The Filson satchel comes in only dark brown color, so it won't develop the patina that a chestnut colored bag would. Occasionally, they come up new on ebay.

Bic

13. Fabro

Fabro Well-Known Member

It might be worth giving ClassicLuggage a call. When I ordered my Brigg umbrella in January, I was chatting about this SAB bag. They said that they are having trouble sourcing the D&H version, but are working with a Scotland-based manufacturer that may be able to provide a more steady supply. Unfortunately, I don't recall the name.

14. maxnharry

maxnharry Well-Known Member

15. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

My SAB isn't lined either. And yeah, it's that model. Try ukstuff for Papworth as well. Pickett Fine Leather makes a similar version.

16. JAGMAJ

JAGMAJ Member

Have you looked at Levenger's? I don't know who makes their bags, but they appear to be of decent quality.

17. romafan

romafan Well-Known Member

My first post. Filson stuff is of high quality and almost indestructible, although a certain amount of refinement is forfeited when something is manufactured to bombproof standards. Just a note if you're thinking about the Filson - apparently the company is in the process of being purchased by RL - I don't know what this means in terms of future quality - but a small retailer here in NYC told me that RL plans to make some changes (non-usa manufacturing?), and the demogaphic they'll be targeting will be country gentleman, most likely at the expense of their former customer base, i.e true outdoorsmen.

18. kolecho

It is so sad that quality suffers in the name of big business. I guess the same thing happened to Church's after it was taken over by Prada.

19. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

This is horrible.