1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Brands that should have a better reputation...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by True North, Jun 24, 2008.

1. mr monty

mr monty Well-Known Member

The Seiko 5's, most of which can be purchased <$150 online, are the best watches in the 0-150$ range.

You think they are better than the Monsters?[​IMG] I got both of mine on ebay for less than $135 each.

[​IMG]

2. eidolon

eidolon Well-Known Member

You think they are better than the Monsters?[​IMG] I got both of mine on ebay for less than $135 each.

[​IMG]

No, I don't. The 5's are just an easier to obtain line, and were the first that came to mind.

3. mikejones

mikejones Well-Known Member

Belstaff. While they made a lot of jackets for movies, I don't think it's a well known brand - at least not in the Netherlands and I don't read a lot about them here.
    Badly overpriced "fashion" jackets. My picks for quality and value: - Aero Leather of Scotland - Lost Worlds - Gibson and Barnes - Tony Perotti leather goods - Wigwam athletic socks - Roots clothing

4. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Well-Known Member

- Cifonelli
    - St. Andrews suitings
    - Garrick Anderson trousers
    - Barney's House Label Ties & Co-Op pants
    - Trafalgar leathergoods

5. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

6. whacked

whacked Well-Known Member

7. NiFTY

NiFTY Well-Known Member

matteo di rota make beautiful shirts, they are just very hard to find.
    I think artioli is a very underated shoe maker, i agree a lot of their designs are a little retired in florida-ish, but i have a great pair of monks that are so soft and comfortable but also very hard wearing.
    paul smith ties, are also very very hardwearing, stylish and tie a great knot.

8. NiFTY

NiFTY Well-Known Member

i know i'm going to catch a lot of flack for this but...

barker black

[​IMG]

i have 4 egs and c&js (all for rl) and 1 pair of barker blacks. i enjoy my barker blacks as much as the others and am going to commission a mto pair this summer. i will agree that they would be a much better value if they were priced in line with c&j and church's, etc. but this thread is about reputation. imo they are a well made shoe and their ashfield last is quite attractive.

i have never seen a pair of barker black's in person, and they are not sold in australia, but i am always on the lookout for some in my size. they are very cool shoes in my opinion.

9. BBRex

BBRex Well-Known Member

I agree about the Seiko 5 line and the Monster being great watches for less than $150 online. The point I was trying to make was that I went to a local watch shop in the U.S., and a Seiko similar to one I purchased online for $150 is priced closer to $300. I think that if Seiko would sell their watches in U.S. shops for a price closer to what you can find online, they'd sell a lot better.

10. yfyf

yfyf Well-Known Member

that's the spelling of the shoe manufacturer, and they are very good. The clothing one is Boglioli.

Even when spelled like that?

Sorry, I meant Boglioli, my mistake!

That's a load of crap! Lobb advertises WAY more than Weston.

And yes, you are right, Lobb is a pretty big advertiser as well. I guess that leaves Edward Green and Alden as the (mostly) non-advertising sort.

11. misterjase

misterjase Well-Known Member

i was interested in mention of Barker Blacks. has anyone found an online source for Barker Blacks? i haven't found an online source as yet myself.

12. EFBenson

EFBenson Well-Known Member

following up the Filson recommendation earlier in the thread I have found the Pullman bag on a UK site

http://www.ptarmiganclothing.com/pro...lection&id=357

does anyone know of a UK site/shop where I might find it a bit cheaper? (it is much cheaper on US sites)

thank you

13. Mpalmer22

Mpalmer22 Active Member

Have you tried J&Company? They are a fairly high-end denim with a great cut and fit. I think the style I have is the Nixon, they have some similar detailing to True Religions, but they are MUCH less gaudy. I'm a firm believer that flashy, like True Religion, with all of the stripes, and tacky stiching, is not style. The J&Co. jeans have details, but not flash, they are subtle.
    [​IMG]

14. benecios

benecios Well-Known Member

Badly overpriced "fashion" jackets.

My picks for quality and value:

- Aero Leather of Scotland
    - Lost Worlds
    - Gibson and Barnes
    - Tony Perotti leather goods
    - Wigwam athletic socks
    - Roots clothing

I couldn't disagree more.Belstaff jackets are phenomenal in every way.

15. mikejones

mikejones Well-Known Member

I couldn't disagree more.Belstaff jackets are phenomenal in every way.

Belstaff might make a good quality jacket, but at the roughly $2,000 price they sell for, you can get 2 custom-made Aero or Lost Worlds jackets for that much that are much superior IMO. And I didn't even mention G&B, Schott, or Vanson, some of the other world-class manufacturers.

16. vivalet

vivalet Well-Known Member

rm williams.

they have a great reputation, but they don't adv in the US, so most don't know about them. I have two pair, I wear them all the time. I recently sent them to the NYC store and had them resoled and they came back looking better than I could have imagined. Both brand new and patina'ed at the same time, if that makes any sense.

I just bought the buckle boot for $200 during the strong dollar stint last month. GORGEOUS!!!

17. dbtbandit67

dbtbandit67 Well-Known Member

Ralph Lauren. I think it has been around for a very long time and may come off as old, boring, institutionalized. But it's like a good old classic movie: never gets old in time. I like the feel, the clean/classical/traditional look.

In a world where everyone is trying to look different, maybe looking classical is what will stand out.