1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Brands that mean mediocrity

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PocketCircle, Jun 28, 2009.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Well-Known Member

I'd rather shop there than, say, the excessively glossy Paul Stuart
    I usually appreciate your taste but I'm sorry I just don't understand this comment. Paul Stuart is not the end all be all (by any means) but still far better than BB. If only the store itself didn't feel haunted and empty of all life... J Press OTOH is total garbage.

2. HRoi

HRoi Well-Known Member

Whenever I have been in their NY flagship, I have received excellent service. Good enough to make a lasting impression. It is a pity I don't care for what they sell, as I would really enjoy shopping there.
    me too. the SA's at Bal Harbour are consistently excellent and memorable. too bad their products are, imho, mediocre

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

I usually appreciate your taste but I'm sorry I just don't understand this comment. Paul Stuart is not the end all be all (by any means) but still far better than BB. If only the store itself didn't feel haunted and empty of all life... J Press OTOH is total garbage.

I'm probably being unfair. PS has some lovely things. But in general I don't care for how they're presented and tend to think they're overpriced. PS stuff tends to be nicer than Brooks', yes, but at the significantly higher price, it ought to be. In terms of value for money for the average, middle-of-the-road businessman, I give the edge to Brooks.

Some of it's just taste. The BF line, for example, strikes me as interesting, if hit or miss, while the Phineas Cole line generally does nothing for me.

4. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I was under the impression the fact that brooks is mediocre is whats endearing about it.

5. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

Brooks has survived as well as any of the Trad staples, and it suffers in comparison not with its similarly priced competition, but with its own ideal.

Brooks wasn't about being trad, but about a very American concept of excellence. The current Brooks ridicules that, except in in a few bits and pieces.

A repost:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- B

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Well-Known Member

Brooks wasn't about being trad, but about a very American concept of excellence. The current Brooks ridicules that, except in in a few bits and pieces.
    Yes, but you know what I mean. Who's doing it better? In a pinch, I could walk into your average Brooks and kit myself out from head to toe. Heaven forbid I should have to do that at, say, my local Saks. Thrift shops are filled with wonderful clothes from American makers that have come to fates far more ignominious than Brooks'. I'd rather have Brooks around in some form than not at all, even if it can't scale the glorious heights of yesteryear.

7. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Well-Known Member

I was under the impression the fact that brooks is mediocre is whats endearing about it.

No, for those of us who remember the old Brooks, it was not that at all.

This recent Film Noir Buff piece is as good an intro as anything if you never knew what BB meant not so long ago.

- B

8. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Yes, but you know what I mean. Who's doing it better? In a pinch, I could walk into your average Brooks and kit myself out from head to toe. Heaven forbid I should have to do that at, say, my local Saks. Thrift shops are filled with wonderful clothes from American makers that have come to fates far more ignominious than Brooks'. I'd rather have Brooks around in some form than not at all, even if it can't scale the glorious heights of yesteryear.
    I would imagine this is why brooks still exists, if i wasnt really 'into' the clothes i'm wearing, i could walk into brooks, put together something nice and conservative, and the tailors there (in my experience) were pretty helpful with fit. I've had some pretty bad experiences with brooks, but the last one was excellent.

9. Tck13

Tck13 Well-Known Member

10. clee1982

clee1982 Well-Known Member

No, for those of us who remember the old Brooks, it was not that at all.

This recent Film Noir Buff piece is as good an intro as anything if you never knew what BB meant not so long ago.

- B

Interesting read, so how was Oxxford pricing back in those days?

11. clee1982

Brooks is a shadow of itself, but there's still life in the old girl. The buttondown shirts still have the best roll out there, and the shoe selection/quality is quite good. GF is nice as well, though a bit boring. BF has some interesting stuff and excellent quality.

Brooks caters to a conservative, American sensibility. As such, its clothes likely aren't going to light up the young, not-so-conservative SF crowd, myself included. But that it exists at all, when stores of its ilk have largely vanished from the American landscape, is something to be celebrated, not condemned.

I'd rather shop there than, say, the excessively glossy Paul Stuart or the lost-in-the-wilderness J. Press. Brooks has survived as well as any of the Trad staples, and it suffers in comparison not with its similarly priced competition, but with its own ideal.

I still do have 1 buttondown shirt from BB, that was the first real dress shirt I bought after school for work. It survived many wash (and consider it being an non iron...), I don't wear it anymore as it fits like a tent (which is suppose to be a slim fit). I always want to pick something from BB every single time I went to their store, but I always walked out empty hand and quite disappointed.

As to Paul Stuart, I could appreciate them more, at least they have more interesting piece than BB if you ask me.

12. clee1982

Ferragamo

If you're talking about their flagship store in NYC, I agree, but if you're talking about their overall selection, then I wouldn't quite agree.

I somehow always able to find nice Ferragamo stuff that's not carried in their NYC flagship store for some reason. I guess it's a good thing Ferragamo is a volume seller, I can almost always find Tramezza at decent price, so in my book, Ferragamo is still has decent selection (though shifting my opinion quite towards Zegna Couture XXX and Sutor Mantellassi now though, only problem, much harder to find bargin on these guys).

13. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Well-Known Member

This thread was a good read. Like Vox, my fist impression when I read the title was BB. And like Vox, I was sad to say it. However I agree with Doc that I feel good about having the old gal around still. I have a few 1818 Fitz's purchased in the last year that I like and a couple of GF suits that are still in heavy rotation after several years. OCBDs are good, but I find the ties too wide for my current tastes. There is something comforting to me about going into a BB store, and when I travel I often stop in one in another city, even though I am pretty sure I won't buy anything.

14. laughwithm3

laughwithm3 Well-Known Member

Dkny

that's not even mediocre

15. Azure

Azure Well-Known Member

Dolce & whatever gay similiar brand[​IMG]

16. acidboy

acidboy Well-Known Member

Polo Ralph Lauren

17. Nicola

Nicola Well-Known Member

Brooks Brothers. They're the Belgium of clothiers. High quality boredom.

You clearly don't drink beer [​IMG]

18. imatlas

imatlas Well-Known Member

Prada, Gucci, Bally, Dolce, Versace, etc

19. Althis

Althis Well-Known Member

Polo Ralph Lauren

really? there china stuff yeah, but their italian?

20. emmanuel

emmanuel Well-Known Member

Prada, Gucci, Bally, Dolce, Versace, etc
    Oh please! How fashionable it is on this forum to hate the big fashion labels! [​IMG]