1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Brands geared towards averagely big guys?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by PRESSPL>Y, Mar 31, 2011.

1. PRESSPL>Y

PRESSPL>Y Member

Thanks for the mature responses from the rest of you guys. Appreciate it. Call me fat if you will fellas, my girlfriend loves it [​IMG]

So, I did some reading on Michael Bastian (after having bought one of his Gant shirts and loved it) and really respect that he designs clothes for the average build. I guess we can stop at this point and just say I'm not a high-fashion style guy. I like classic stuff. Classic cuts. I like to look like a guy, you know? I like Michael Bastian's philosophy when it comes to this notion. Are there other designers and brands that share this same philosophy?

I think the best look is one that doesn't look like it was forced. Effortless. Jeans that fit not too tight, not too baggy. Tappered shirts, but ones you can fold your arms in. Well tailored simple suits.

Anyone else out there share the same tastes as me, but way more ahead of the game than myself who can shed some light?

-PL>Y

2. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

I'm a 42 and wear medium in Jcrew too. Fat twinsies! Excellent thread btw. I'm always up for a rousing discussion of classic, timeless, masculine fashion. Additionally, I find that Depends really help me fill out my gap chinos - fear not, those for whom the classic cut is too classic! There is hope in adult diaper-wear!

3. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Well-Known Member

hey guys i wear 44 in balenciaga and 00 in women's chanel jeans. waht size do i order this lands end shawl collar cardigan in?

4. APK

APK Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why John bothers here. Most of his posts seem to inaccurately pool together everyone who doesn't wear a 36-waist jean as being "girly" in stature.

5. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Well-Known Member

i don't know why i bother here. he's just killing time like the rest of us.

6. Synthese

Synthese Darth Millennial

hey guys i wear 44 in balenciaga and 00 in women's chanel jeans. waht size do i order this lands end shawl collar cardigan in?
    what are you, some kind of fag?

7. brad-t

brad-t Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why John bothers here. Most of his posts seem to inaccurately pool together everyone who doesn't wear a 36-waist jean as being "girly" in stature.

world's largest collection of jcrew fans

8. PaulYAY

PaulYAY Well-Known Member

Thanks for the mature responses from the rest of you guys. Appreciate it. Call me fat if you will fellas, my girlfriend loves it [​IMG]

So, I did some reading on Michael Bastian (after having bought one of his Gant shirts and loved it) and really respect that he designs clothes for the average build. I guess we can stop at this point and just say I'm not a high-fashion style guy. I like classic stuff. Classic cuts. I like to look like a guy, you know? I like Michael Bastian's philosophy when it comes to this notion. Are there other designers and brands that share this same philosophy?

I think the best look is one that doesn't look like it was forced. Effortless. Jeans that fit not too tight, not too baggy. Tappered shirts, but ones you can fold your arms in. Well tailored simple suits.

Anyone else out there share the same tastes as me, but way more ahead of the game than myself who can shed some light?

-PL>Y

edit: failed attempt at sarcasm.

9. HgaleK

HgaleK Well-Known Member

zzz

35" hips, 32-33" pants size @ 5'9 - probably 34 there as that's the leanest i've been in awhile

not walking around no

The Ronnie Coleman thing was hyperbole. You have a wicked dead, look pretty lean, and wear a 32-34 tts. That seems right in line with what I was saying, even for somebody who works out...

10. CrazyJew

CrazyJew Well-Known Member

I'm not gonna say I'm in perfect shape, but I have a 34in. waist (also 5'6 and 160lbs) yet I wear size 36/S in pretty much all tops, and I have no stomach. Fuck, I recently just slid into an XS Cavalli T-shirt, and I don't quite think his stuff is vanity-sized.

IMHO, your health plays a part in your waist size, but not as much as your genetics. I come from a shitty line of short Latvian peasant slaves, and what I mean by that is that my whole family has big waist lines, but none of us are fat.

11. superego

superego Well-Known Member

Hello all,

I was wondering if you guys can help point me in the direction of some really solid brands that are geared towards big guys.

I'm 6'0", 36 waste, 42 jacket, and about 195-210 lbs throughout the year. I love clothes, but want awesome pieces that I will get amazing wear out of (and just want to wear over and over).

I hate when I try on a sweater or shirt that's marked L and it fits like a S/M. Grr! Recently, I discovered the Michael Bastian Gant stuff, own 5 shirts now, and they all fit amazing. I know they retail for 200 originally (I got em for $90 each), but I wear them all the time! I even wear them when I DJ.

Jeans wise, I have muscular legs from playing sports for the first half of my life. It's so annoying trying on a pair of jeans and it not coming close to fitting because the legs are so damn tight.

So please help a brother out, and give me some suggestions. I'd love to up my game, and am tired of seeing all the amazing clothes out there, and feeling like "That'll probably never fit"

-PL>Y

Frame of reference: I'm 6'3", 220, 45 chest, 36 waist...so we're in mostly the same situation.

From what I'm reading: 6', 200 lbs is slightly overweight...I'm about 10-15 pounds over my 'fighting' weight of 205-210, so I can appreciate this. The reason size L sweaters you're trying on feel like S/M is because you're chubby. Start running/walking--30 minutes, every day and everything will fit better and you'll be afforded more options. GL

12. superego

superego Well-Known Member

zzz

35" hips, 32-33" pants size @ 5'9 - probably 34 there as that's the leanest i've been in awhile

not walking around no

lol: "Try to find a camerman who doesn't have Parkinson's next time."

Seriously, dude? Your lower body is looking soccer mom soft. Who ACTUALLY cares about the deadlift besides compensating asshats?

13. hastur

hastur Well-Known Member

lol: "Try to find a camerman who doesn't have Parkinson's next time." Seriously, dude? Your lower body is looking soccer mom soft. Who ACTUALLY cares about the deadlift besides compensating asshats?
    must be a whole lotta soccer moms w/a vastus medialis the size of a softball

14. APK

APK Well-Known Member

lol: "Try to find a camerman who doesn't have Parkinson's next time."

Seriously, dude? Your lower body is looking soccer mom soft. Who ACTUALLY cares about the bench press besides compensating asshats?

Fixed.

15. TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES Well-Known Member

-PL>Y

For coming off as such an emotional bitch, you got it quite easy given the topic of your thread.

16. S-Town

S-Town Well-Known Member

So if everyone agrees that 34"-36" is "fat", then I suggest that 28"-30" is "pussy". Dude, keep browsing stores and brands. You will find tons of stuff.

17. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

18. S-Town

S-Town Well-Known Member

I'm fat?[​IMG]
    Me too apparently.

19. El Argentino

El Argentino Well-Known Member

The SW&D guys have officially caught me in all of my fatness...[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. kit99bar

kit99bar Well-Known Member