1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Braces Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Superfluous, Sep 6, 2011.

1. Superfluous

Superfluous Well-Known Member

Having recently purchased some braces, I began wearing them in sport coats since most of my pants are Polo RL and have existing buttons for braces.

Wearing braces is pretty great. It allows you to wear a range of pant sizes at the desired height without securing it to your waist with a tight belt. Because of all that, it lets the pants drape smoothly.

I probably wouldn't wear them without a sport coat/suit though as they aren't meant to be seen. Otherwise, no one even knows you're wearing any.

:slayer::slayer:

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Clothes should hang from the shoulder, not from the waist.

3. TexasDan

TexasDan Well-Known Member

I have started wearing them again after a long period of belt only. I forgot how much more comfortable they are than belts. I do remove my jacket at the office so everyone can see them, but I don't care.

4. Saturdays

Saturdays Well-Known Member

yes your pants should hang by your shoulders...

:facepalm:

but really, i love the feeling too of wearing braces.. i need to widen my collection a bit, but then again i don't have a need for them and they will simply be for a certain 'look' if ever anything else.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2011
  5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Well-Known Member

Read some Oscar Wilde.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Well-Known Member

I am going to start wearing them. I read Albert Thurston are great, but I don't know what to look for really. How wide should they be? What kind of materials should I be looking for? Also, is it ok to wear braces with white leather fasteners, or should that only be reserved for formal wear?

7. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

I feel as white are formal only. I stick to silk with brown or black leather tabs.

8. yachtie

yachtie Well-Known Member

9. Geezer

Geezer Well-Known Member

I wear braces on almost all my suits.

I have some white-ended Thurstons in bright French blue felt that I can't categorise as formal, and so wear with suits.

And I rather like wearing white, white-ended, evening dress braces with a white shirt under a suit. I like the way it subverts the 1980s "look at my braces" thing.

On which note I was accused last week - marooon braces - of dressing like "some 80s bond dealer"; my reply "and your problem with that is what exactly?".

10. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Well-Known Member

Seems they get a look regardless, but I admire your fortitude.

11. patrickBOOTH

My first pair of braces arrived yesterday:

[​IMG]

12. TexasDan

TexasDan Well-Known Member

Patrick - What color are they? I recently received my first pair of Thurston braces. I am very impressed with the quality.

13. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

I have nothing to add other than the fact that it's horribly pretentious for an American to call them "braces".

14. patrickBOOTH

Charcoal.

:rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2011
  15. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Well-Known Member

Quote:
    What would you call them then?

I have several pairs, and several pairs of trousers that are specifically designed for braces (although they can take belts too): moleskins and Harris Tweed in this design from Old Town.

16. gladhands

gladhands Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

17. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

^ I have seven pairs of vauxhalls from Old Town now, they're my favourite casual trouser for knocking around the country in. Have you ever been up to Holt to visit their shop? Well worth it if you're in that part of the world. I also have several pairs of braces including a replica of those worn by Gordon Gecko in Wall Street (blue on black eton stripe with white leather ends), a special order from Albert Thurston, bought for me as something of a joke by some friends. To Americans they are "suspenders" by the way, which has rather different connotations over here of course.

18. FlyingMonkey

Quote:
    Serious. Not everyone here is American you know, and I certainly am not. So I don't quite get why you might think that calling 'braces', 'braces' is pretentious.

19. FlyingMonkey

Quote:
    Ah, okay, now I know what he's on about - I'd like to see him ask for suspenders in a department store in the UK! BTW, you are the first other person I have come across who has any Old Town gear. I love their whole attitude and aesthetic. And no, unfortunately, now I am resident in Canuckistan, I don't get to the UK very often, let alone Holt, so I've never been.

20. E TF

E TF Well-Known Member

I assumed you were in England as an old town customer. I think I've met one other person who owns anything from them, and nobody on the fora has ever heard of them, but they seem to be doing very well never the less. The corduroy is perhaps my favourite. Very well made, fairly priced, and as you say, a good attitude. My bespoke tailor in London knows them and rates their stuff. Their shop lives up to expectations - in fact most of Norfolk is like something from the 50s anyway, so they fit right in.