1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Boxing vs Crossfit?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by jase12, May 3, 2012.

1. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

yeah, my boxing gym does it, but I don't like the time of day they do it. there is a crossfit gym in town and they want 150 bucks a month and don't have a punch card. I'd pay 15 bucks a pop to do it 3-4 times a month for variety, but I'm not going to pay 150 bucks on top of my boxing gym and the Y

2. jase12

jase12 Well-Known Member

it seems like in Perth if you've ever been to an MMA class you have to walk around with a Tapout shirt on and picking a fight with as many bouncers as you can see. think i'll give boxing a try to start with, I like the history around it and think it may be a useful skill to have. might go check out a couple of crossfit sessions as well just to see what its all about. thanks for your responses

3. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

You mind me asking what your boxing gym charges? Curious how they compare to a Crossfit. I am assuming they provide some form of personal training.

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Well-Known Member

my boxing gym is $35 bucks a month, that inlcudes unlimited classes, and they have about 40 differnt classes a week, inlcuding boxing, BJJ, Muey Thai and various fitness classes. they also have a whole set of crossfit gear, a full ring, a cage, about 20 heavy bags, wieghts and kettlebells. a private boxing lesson is 30-40 bucks an hour. open 6 am to 10 pm 5 days and then about 10 am to 6 pm on the weekends

5. StylinGuy

StylinGuy Well-Known Member

theres no doubt that boxing will get you in shape, but as for strength training for explosive workouts, id say cross fit is the way to go. its a more well rounded workout involving your entire body. plus after a few classes, u can even just get an exercise mat and do some of the workouts at home.

6. Clovis Sangrail

Clovis Sangrail Well-Known Member

The two can't really be compared.

First, a proper boxing regimen will require a weights, track-work and stretching. A proper boxing gym will have weights etc.

Second, being fit is about 1% of what you will get out of boxing, albeit you will, if you train properly, become incredibly fit. Standing in the ring engulfed by that primordial moment when you are forced to be utterly self-reliant, with no-one to protect or help you, in pain, but holding yourself together by force of will and training, is as much about building character, as strength or skill.

Boxing has taught me more about life than just about anything else.

1 person likes this.
  7. Essential

Essential Well-Known Member

HOLY [​IMG] Here in NYC, I'm paying $20 for a one-hour lesson. I only go once a weekend though. For a full month membership, it's about $180.

8. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

lol. i've seen this too. I personally own none of that stuff, nor do most of my friends who fight, save for some guys who are sponsored, and just get the gear for free. Those guys also tend to not care what they wear. One guy I know would wear a My Little Pony shirt if it was free. The man is just plain cheap. I dunno. I suppose that if I were good enough to actually have a sponsorship, I might wear the gear as well. Otherwise, it just seems poserish.

9. Cambel

Cambel Active Member

True. In addition to bag work and focus pads and sparring and all the stuff one would imagine, training for an actual fight requires running every morning/day. This can be easily done on one's own, though, if you don't need someone prodding you to go. My old trainer had us warm up for about 1-2 miles on the track and then run the stadium steps/bleachers repeatedly followed by wind sprints.

Just know that taking boxing classes and training to fight are two totally different things. Boxing (group) classes won't really teach you how to fight--they will give you a good workout, help your balance and coordination, and give you a foundation of basic moves, all rewarding things. You will feel stronger, fitter, and more confident. But these skills don't automatically translate into ring proficiency though and actually fighting can often feel like starting back at square one.

10. BruceWayne

BruceWayne Well-Known Member

Does Butterbean count?

11. Cambel

Cambel Active Member

and Chris Arreola. Still a great fighter, though.

12. joshuadowen

joshuadowen Well-Known Member

At the end of the day it's really going to be about which you enjoy. You'll only ever stick with something you like doing. I have been doing Crossfit for a little over 3 years now and love it. Structured classes are expensive, but, in my opinion, worth it early on. If you don't already have a strong background in weightlifting, you'll need some coaching and accountability. Particularly with olympic lifts, technique is everything, and poor technique will get you hurt. That being said, there are a lot of really bad coaches out there, so another consideration may be finding a coach you like in your area, be it a Crossfit coach or a boxing coach.

13. Pennglock

Pennglock Well-Known Member

Will you people please stop naming heavyweights as if that's some kind of counterpoint to the fact that 99% of boxers who've ever been competetive in a weight class didnt carry around much chub?

Op should take up boxing. It's a skill, nay, art that will improve your life in ways that go far beyond fitness. Just make sure you find a proper gym and trainers, not some kind of 24-hour-jazzercise knockoff.

Crossfit- at least the formula programmed on their webpage- may get you results for a month or two, or a bit more if you are detrained. After that, pushing through to the next level of athleticism requires a more focused brand of training than they offer.

14. Mark it 8

Mark it 8 Well-Known Member

My Crossfit gym offers specialized classes such as powerlifting, olympic lifting, and endurance training so that members have the option to focus and develop different areas depending on their goals. It's pretty difficult to measure improvement just doing varied Crossfit workouts, but I have found the other courses really helped me to focus and improve in certain areas.

If you look into Crossfit there are a few things you want to look for: first, look up the owners and the coaches to see what their qualifications are. The Crossfit level one certification is very simple to obtain- I believe it is two days of training- and upon completion, attendees are "qualified" to open an affiliate. Dont sign up with one of the boxes that just has a bunch of level one coaches who have no other qualifications. I would look for a box where the owners still coach; with the rise in popularity, some Crossfit owners are making a killing and are perfectly happy to disappear while they let others coach classes in return for free membership or somesuch. An absentee owner is generally a bad sign. Second, try to get some objective input on the gym and the owners from those who are familiar with the gym- the web is your best tool. Dont ask members because Crossfit gyms take on a hive mind like you've never seen. Finally, see if they offer sessions other than Crossfit. WODs are great, but you will inevitably want to add another component to your training. Some Crossfit gyms will let you come in and use equipment on your own time as long as you dont interfere with classes, but others strictly forbid it.

EDIT: One other thing I thought of: look to see how big the space is compared to class size. Here is why it's important: A class generally involves warmup-->stretching-->strength or skill component-->WOD. If the class is too big for the amount of equipment available, the WOD will have to go in heats. Because of the additional time it takes, some other aspect of the workout will often be shortened (usually the strength portion.)

Last edited: May 22, 2012
  15. jase12

jase12 Well-Known Member

good to read all the replies. I've started up at a local boxing gym and loving it. every session leaves me completely spent and i'm starting to pick up the beginnings of some technique which is great. already starting to feel fitter and leaner after only a couple of weeks.

the point about finding the right coach is a great one. at this gym there is one guy there who is awesome, a couple who are good and 1 who is shit. and the difference between the good and shit coaches is huge.

16. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Well-Known Member

are you training close to the city? am interested in picking up some boxing classes as well (perth)

17. jase12

jase12 Well-Known Member

yeh a place called 'the ring' in northbridge. its a bit of a 'camp' setup, they are trying to get girls involved, but the trainers are good. especially ryan on sundays. plus its about 3km from my place so i can ride my bike there.

if ur after a more 'legit/grungier' gym, bradricks in osborne park is supposed to be good.

18. Mr Herbert

Mr Herbert Well-Known Member

The western suburbs are void of good gyms and sporting clubs

19. jase12

jase12 Well-Known Member

plenty of yummy mummy yoga classes though!

20. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Well-Known Member

All of time and space, everything that ever was or

The impression I get from my gym-mates that I have on Facebook is that a large portion of them wear Crossfit themed tee-shirts everywhere. Don't even get me started on related status updates. I'm into the workouts and all, but some seem to make it central to their lives.