1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bown's Bespoke

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by STYLESTUDENT, Mar 29, 2005.

1. fkl118

fkl118 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link; there are some very good articles. I didn't realize that a gentleman must have at least four umbrellas.

2. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Then sir, you may not be an English gentleman.

3. Panzeraxe

Panzeraxe Well-Known Member

He seems to endorse everything, so its not really much of a critical review. Though, I love this line:

"Recently, I was shocked to observe - in the Paris Ritz, of all places - a well-suited young man with two buttons on each cuff left undone (one must suppose, deliberately).  This is simply not on.  Such vulgar ostentation is very definitely not Savile Row.  The point is that the cuff buttons can be undone, not that they are"

Good point [London Lounge members take note].

Panzer

4. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Well-Known Member

Uh, do we want to take clothing advice from someone who goes out in public dressed like this? [​IMG]

5. lisapop

lisapop Well-Known Member

6. Duveen

Duveen Well-Known Member

To be fair, sirgarnetwolseley, that image was taken from a visit to Interno 8 where the fellow was intentionally pushing himself to stray from the conventional Savile Row look.

7. RJman

RJman Well-Known Member

He looks like Dan Rather's gay gaucho brother.

8. sirgarnetwolseley

sirgarnetwolseley Well-Known Member

True. I register only a mild objection to his surreal neckwear. People should feel free to experiment. It is the shirt that horrifies me; a button-down collar with french cuffs? That is the outside of too much.

9. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

Are you really supposed to have braces buttons on the outside for the front? That seems wierd to me. Seems like they should be in the inside both in front and back.

10. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Braces buttons were originally on the outside all around the waistband. Most tailors moved them inside in the last fifty years, but you can still have them placed outside if you wish.

The argument for wearing them on the outside is that you don't have the buttons cutting you (no-one sees them since you never remove your jacket).

11. Manton

Manton Well-Known Member

I thought brace buttons moved inside the waistband as vests became more and more rare. Most office workers do remove their jackets, after all.

12. Will

Will Well-Known Member

Buttons moved inside the waistband where they could be less comfortable as men began removing the jackets of their unvested suits. Then, except for a few anglophiles, men stopped wearing braces altogether.

As to the (im)propriety of office workers removing their jackets, doesn't it deserve its own thread?

13. kitonbrioni

kitonbrioni Well-Known Member

His experience with bespoke seems close to that of other forum members that the journey--i.e., fittings, selections, adjustments, etc.--is the point and the actual garment is often anti-climatic. Certainly, the pictures are of either "dandy" costumes or of ordinary clothes. Maybe, it's his physique doesn't flatter his bespoke garments. His overcoat makes him seems as though his next job will be a doorman at a downscale hotel. But he shows so much personal happiness with the bespoke process even if the results underwhelm some of us.

14. Horace

Horace Well-Known Member

Why? If one keeps his coat on, no one will see his braces.

Re: that shot of the tie. There was also a shot like that (wearing two or three ties at once) in a recent BBC doc. on the Cambridge spy scandal of the 50's, Burgess & Maclean, etc.

15. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

His best sartorial investment would be a membership at a good gym, and given his present physique, probably a few sessions with a good personal trainer wouldn't hurt either.

16. johnnynorman3

johnnynorman3 Well-Known Member

A wonderful English cloth simply doesn't drape well on a fit man, LAG. Plus, the more girth, the more bang for the buck in your bespoke suit. Why pay 2500 pounds for a size 40 suit when you can pay the same for a size 48?

17. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member

Of course. very astute. The drape over the belly is much more dramatic than a drape over the shoulders and chest. And as for your comment with respect to getting your money's worth, I want to hire you as my estate lawyer when the time comes that I need one.

18. spatten

spatten Well-Known Member

I think, once again, this forum is being just a bit too hard on the guy.

For the most part I like his clothes, his webiste, and find his anecdotes interesting. There are many who do not have the means to travel and exeprience London's sartorial offerings - and he brings it just a bit closer.

On the other hand, his reviews seem more oriented to rationalizing his expensive purchases than objectively discerning quality of the product and experience.

19. Mr Checks

Mr Checks Well-Known Member

Kind of reminds me of Ryan Leach of "lifestyles of the rich and famous." Everything is grand, everything is perfect.