1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bow ties

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Navy09, Sep 30, 2004.

1. christian

christian Well-Known Member

Its strange that you take great offense at those who criticize the bow tie, especially those who crossed the line by using the term 'twits.' Yet, in the same breath, you use an ad homenim attack on us by calling us 'fashionistas' who 'desire to appear as sophisticates.' Unless your MA was in psychology, perhaps you shouldn't attempt to psychoanalyze the members of this forum who simply disagree with your aesthetics.

2. Navy09

Navy09 Member

Interesting series of comments. I am surprised at the hostility the thread has garnered. I started it simply curious how people who consider themselves fashionable or stylish would view the bow tie. I obviously wear them and I gave a few reasons in the initial post. In my opinion, having people assume I'm a twit because of my tie is fine with me. I'm sure many people on this posting board are assumed to be twits because they'd read a board about men's style and fashion. Who cares? Isn't the true essence of style and fashion presenting yourself confidently? Aren't the truely well-dressed among us not necessarily wearing the nicest clothes or the style of the moment? It isn't the piece but rather how you wear it that counts. Could I pull off a toga at work? No. There are boundaries and I think it's clear the bow tie is well within the realm of acceptable clothing especially with the fine fabrics, prints and patterns that are easily found. Maybe your taste runs one way or another and while it is true that people are more than willing to jump to conclusions at the slightest pretense; however, I find it endlessly amusing to embrace those pretenses and refute them by being myself. Am I a bit of a geek? Yes. Do I enjoy reading books? Yes. Do I vote Republican? No. Do I row crew and play football? Yes. Have I been in and won a bar fight? Yes. Whatever your assumptions about the bow tie wearer, like all stereotypes, it's flawed and you're only cheating yourself by engaging in such behavior. Is it natural to do so? Of course. However, after reading these posts, if as an added side benefit, I'm showing you and others that jumping to conclusions about people for superficial reasons is a mistake - I'll order another 6 bow ties today. Thanks.

3. jss16jss

jss16jss Member

I am a criminal trial attorney in an urban area. I wear a bow tie about once a week just for a change. Primarily they are from Charvet and T&A purchased every now and then over a 20 year period. I long ago stopped worrying about what someone thinks. I do know if juries or judges care, it doesn't trickle down to their rulings or verdicts.

4. christian

christian Well-Known Member

That's fine if you don't mind what others think of you. But, to me, this attitude seems reckless becuase you are also responsible for your client as well.

Look at some of the strong reactions some people are having about a bow tie. Some people don't trust somebody who wears one. What if a person like this gets on a jury deciding your client's fate?