1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Boutonniere embroidered onto the suit lapel

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by cincydavid, Apr 14, 2012.

1. cincydavid

cincydavid Well-Known Member

The garden spot of the universe, Cincinnati OH, US
    Let me preface this post by saying I'm in the cemetery trade, where you will see many funeral directors wearing black suits, and wearing a boutonniere is not uncommon. Today I saw a director wearing a solid black suit, with a red rose boutonniere embroidered onto the left lapel. I thought it was kind of clever, within the context of my work environment.

Any thoughts?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  2. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Well-Known Member

I'm not sure this forum is filled with funeral directors

3. cincydavid

cincydavid Well-Known Member

The garden spot of the universe, Cincinnati OH, US
    I guess I could have written that last line differently...I was referring to it being OK within the deathcare trade, but I suspect it would raise eyebrows in a "normal" setting.

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Well-Known Member

The boutonniere is great for "normal" settings as well. It's just not common. The same can be said of the pocket square. Nonetheless, a white or red carnation or a blue cornflower works fine. Have your tailor sew a thread behind the lapel and below the button hole to hold the stem.

5. Monsieur Ed

Monsieur Ed Member

Oddly enough I have been thinking about boutonierres all day since I started watching Boardwalk Empire ( I know...late to the game). Anyway since I never wear one I took a look at a couple of my jackets and see that they don't have thread to hold the stem. Is it right to assume that most jackets do not come with this thread nowadays?

6. PhiPsi32

^^^ True, but a tailor can add them without any trouble at a small cost. If you order a bespoke or MTM suit be sure to ask for it.

7. KObalto

KObalto Well-Known Member

Embroidered flower on your lapel? No, regardless of occupation. Oh, and with mini-carnations you don't really need a string to hold the stem.

8. PhiPsi32

I was referring to fresh flowers. Not sure what an embroidered flower is.

9. GBR

GBR Well-Known Member

I would suggest that it is dreadful and the mark of an undertaker with little respect for his profession or clients.

To embroider such a thing suggests that he sees it as little more than a decoration he is duty bound to wear. It is surely not too much for him to pick a fresh bloom daily or if that is too expensive, just do without.

10. musicguy

musicguy Well-Known Member

I'll just leave this here.

[​IMG]

11. 12345Michael54321

12345Michael54321 Well-Known Member

One wonders whether he also owns a dress shirt, with the image of a dark necktie painted onto it. I mean, that would be the logical next step.
    --
    Michael

12. Gdot

Gdot Well-Known Member

I fail to understand why he wouldn't simply stop by any grave he passes by and pluck up something WONDERFUL in faded silk. Seems the obvious solution, doesn't it? :nodding:

When it comes to lapel flowers, go real, or go home.

I don't even much care for those tongue in cheek felt flowers, although at least they had a certain joy about them.