1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bourbon.

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by The Wayfarer, Aug 10, 2008.

1. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

I think it's good for the industry. That many new products means growth in demand for more high quality bourbons. The interesting thing will be to see what makes it once the bourbon bubble bursts and the vast majority of those drinking it move on to the next en vogue liquor

2. just another fool

just another fool Well-Known Member

1 person likes this.
  3. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

As the movers are arriving tomorrow morning to pack us up, just finished last year's bottle of Stagg...quite bittersweet.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Well-Known Member

That was a good one.

@gnatty8, I hear you man. And every guy in the stores tries to sell you on this crap cause its the same they got sold.

5. bdeuce22

bdeuce22 Well-Known Member

Old Grand Dad BiB is now the same price as OWA in Michigan. OGD 114 is now well over $30. Have a bad feeling there's gonna be a larger run up on prices.

6. alexg

alexg Well-Known Member

EC12 is now officially NAS.

7. indesertum

indesertum Well-Known Member

It still says 12 years on the back right?

8. NewYorkIslander

Don't think so, Minnick announced it was going totally NAS now.

9. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

I actually disagree. Poor quality "craft" bourbon is probably taking resources and consumer spending away from other, better quality bourbons that may not be as savvy with their marketing, and in the long run, I can't see that as being a good thing. Also, for people who have never had bourbon and their first foray is a bottle of Heaven's Meadows Single Barrel Small Batch Handcrafted in Kentucky (with Indiana white dog) Bourbon Whiskey, their disappointment may lose the bourbon industry a life long customer (I didn't drink rum for 2 decades because of an encounter with the wrong rum when I was in my teens) which also, cannot be good for the industry. Just my $0.02

10. Krish the Fish

Krish the Fish Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I don't disagree with you. However, there are a fair number of good bourbons that have sprouted as a result, and I imagine whenever this bourbon bubble bursts, it'll be the marketing propped bourbons that will be the first to drop off (as their owners move to greener pastures). But I can also totally see what you mean. More shit product on the shelf means less money going towards the good product in sales, and then less good product available

11. wingin' it

wingin' it Well-Known Member

Kentucky bourbon affair tix on sale.

12. gnatty8

gnatty8 Well-Known Member

I am a hoarder by nature. If I like the way a certain fit and wash of RRL denim looks on me, I will buy 3 for when the first wears out. Same with shoes. It paid off with bourbon, since I always worried there would be a time I couldn't find my favorite whiskies. About 4 years ago, I was lucky enough to get a case (4 bottles in each) of George T Stagg and Eagle Rare 17 year old. That same year I bought 4 bottles of PVW 20 yo and was gifted a bottle of 23 yo for Christmas. It was almost as if the next year, bourbon blew up on the interwebs, and stocks disappeared entirely. I drink my whiskey. I don't sell it, I don't trade it. It's an indulgence. Not an investment. I was bummed out last night when I went to open a fresh bottle of GTS and saw that I am now down to just 2 bottles, as well as 1 bottle of ER 17, 2 of PVW 20 and 1 of PVW 15. I am not sure I will ever find these again, since I would never in my life pay more than retail for whiskey. Yeah, it brings a tear to my eye (not really, but you know what I mean) but it was a good run while at lasted.

3 people like this.
  13. NewYorkIslander

You still got Brigante!

Which I should mention, we will be doing another pick this Spring. The OESK we grabbed got rave reviews from just about everyone who has had it. I have created a facebook group for this next (and all future) Brigante charity picks. Shipping was an absolute nightmare on the last one as we had facebook buys, styleforum buys, private buys....so if anyone is interested in getting in on this one, please send me a friend request (Robert Brigante Rossicone) and I will add you to the group. Also, just shoot me a message letting me know your from SF wanting in on the Brigante II. This next one will be another Four Roses, and if you join I just ask that you take at lest two bottles from each pick we do. It's what I set for everyone involved to make sure we never get stuck. Of course, if you want more, this group will get first dibs. I'm pretty sure we can zip through a barrel or two among all the people we have in there.

14. tdude

tdude Well-Known Member

^^ YES!

1 person likes this.
  15. NewYorkIslander

Shoot me a friend request on FB and I'll get you in there.

16. BenLeaman

BenLeaman Well-Known Member

Friend request incoming!

1 person likes this.
  17. NewYorkIslander

Bourbon and #menswear. Well, denim #menswear

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    2 people like this.
  18. BenLeaman

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hey guys, I am relatively new to "good" bourbon and still don't have much experience with many private selections. I do have 2 bottles (well 1.25 bottles anymore) of OBSV OESK from New York Islander and some Booker's.

I am currently in the Indianapolis suburbs for business and found these 3 bottles on the shelf at a shop. Would anyone recommend one over the others? They're all $55 a bottle. I have until tomorrow at noon EST to decide before I catch a flight home. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  19. JohnGalt

JohnGalt Well-Known Member

Grab all 3 - worth it to try the different mash bills and that's a very fair price.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  20. BenLeaman

Terrific idea and very much in the spirit of styleforum! My main concern is I am already near the 50lbs weight limit for my luggage and I fear 3 bottles will result in an additional $100 charge making the cost per bottle much higher :(

1 person likes this.