1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Bourbon recommendation

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Aficionado, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Aficionado

Aficionado Well-Known Member

I like single malt scotchs better than bourbon. On the other hand I´ve only drank pretty cheap bourbons (<50euros). But now I`ve decided to buy some good bourbon. It would be nice if the price of the whiskey could be under 100euros. [​IMG]

Can you recommend something ? [​IMG]

2. Thomas

Thomas Well-Known Member

Many bourbons have their champions. However, a quick run-down includes

Knob Creek
    Booker's
    Maker's Mark
    Jim Beam Black (not sure on your price points over there)

Tennessee whiskey is similar to bourbon except that it is filtered through charcoal, which imparts its own flavor. For that I would recommend Jack Daniel's Black label.

In fact, I keep Jack Daniels on hand since I have friends who will drink only that and no other whiskey.

3. RJATL

RJATL Well-Known Member

I like Booker's (over 100 proof but smooth). Woodford Reserve &amp; Maker's Mark are good also. All 3 are true Kentucky Bourbons.

4. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

Eagle Rare if you can find it.

5. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

Since you're just starting out with bourbon, I'd generally suggest Maker's Mark, as it has a very approachable taste. However, since you have a taste for single malt scotches, you may prefer a smokier bourbon (you may find Maker's to be a bit too sweet). Given this, I'd recommend Knob Creek or Eagle Rare 10 yo. Hirsch 16 yo is very good, too, if you can get it (production was discontinued awhile ago). Baker's might also be a good choice, but a bit more pricey.

I like Booker's, but it's got a very high proof for bourbon (I think it approaches 130). You may find this off-putting, and I wouldn't recommend Booker's as a good "starter" bourbon (I only enjoy it once in awhile). Some other choices might be Blanton's (a very good, very smooth bourbon), Buffalo Trace (a very good, reasonably priced bourbon - don't know if you'll be able to get it), or Wild Turkey Rare Breed (I've never tried it, but it's supposed to be excellent - expensive).

I'm not a big fan of Woodford, personally. It's smokey, but I find the taste to be kind of thin and the finish to be weak.

Also, while not a bourbon, Jack Daniel's is a fine Tennessee Whiskey with a consistently good taste. You might find it too sweet, however.

6. Mute

Mute Well-Known Member

A.H. Hirsch 16 year. 20 year if you like it stiff and strong.

7. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

A.H. Hirsch 16 year. 20 year if you like it stiff and strong.

I thought the 20 year old was pretty hard to find at this point (and, if you do, it generally costs something like $200 per bottle). The 16 yo is very good (still pricey at around $70 to $80 per bottle).

8. texas_jack

texas_jack Well-Known Member

another vote for knob creek. very good, very resonable.

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Well-Known Member

+1 on Knob Creek from a single malt drinker. Maker's mark is pretty blah, ok for mixed drinks.

10. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

Remember that Afficianado is from Finland, and what's available there is often significantly different from what's available in the United States. For example, I would recommend something from Wild Turkey (the Rare Breed is wonderful, and I like the Russel's Reserve, too), but the WT website tells me that the 80 proof, which is the least exciting WT bottling, is the only one available in Finland.

11. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Well-Known Member

How would you describe the difference between Eagle Rare and Maker's Mark? I have both bottles right now and would like to compare notes with those more experienced with bourbon.

12. jcusey

jcusey Well-Known Member

How would you describe the difference between Eagle Rare and Maker's Mark? I have both bottles right now and would like to compare notes with those more experienced with bourbon.

MM is a wheated bourbon, meaning that wheat is the grain used other than corn and barley. ER is not, meaning that rye is used instead of wheat. Rye tends to add more body and a more assertive "kick" than wheat. I would expect ER to be bigger than MM. I would also expect it to have more of the flavors imparted by contact with wood (caramel, vanilla, etc.) than MM does because ER is a 10 YO bourbon, which is several years older than MM.

13. mbc

mbc Well-Known Member

Another vote for Knob Creek. I tend to alternate between that and Maker's Mark, but I prefer the former.

14. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

MM is a wheated bourbon, meaning that wheat is the grain used other than corn and barley. ER is not, meaning that rye is used instead of wheat. Rye tends to add more body and a more assertive "kick" than wheat. I would expect ER to be bigger than MM. I would also expect it to have more of the flavors imparted by contact with wood (caramel, vanilla, etc.) than MM does because ER is a 10 YO bourbon, which is several years older than MM.

Having tried both, I think this is spot on. Eagle Rare also does a 17 yo (I think) bottling. I have yet to try it.

15. Mute

Mute Well-Known Member

I thought the 20 year old was pretty hard to find at this point (and, if you do, it generally costs something like $200 per bottle). The 16 yo is very good (still pricey at around $70 to $80 per bottle).
    Yeah. I've got a couple of bottles stashed away in my home. Bought them back when they were about $110 a bottle. I should have bought more.

16. JBZ

JBZ Well-Known Member

Yeah. I've got a couple of bottles stashed away in my home. Bought them back when they were about $110 a bottle. I should have bought more.

Lucky. [​IMG]

17. WatchGuy

WatchGuy Well-Known Member

I would recommend taking a look at Blanton's Original Bourbon. It's one of my personal favorites.

18. whodini

whodini Well-Known Member

If you're looking for a bourbon's bourbon, knob creek's probably the way to go.

But if you're looking for the best, Maker's Mark would be my choice. I'm a proud Maker's ambassador and will loyally sell it to anyone who asks. There's a reason I always have a 1.75L sitting on my desk at all times.

19. chorse123

chorse123 Well-Known Member

This thread is driving me crazy. Got to go to the liquor store this week!

20. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Well-Known Member

or just buy one of each and do a freakin' taste test. I keep most bourbons in stock at the house, but when I am out and about, there is something wonderful about jack on the rocks (yes, I know, it is not a bourbon),